New belt knife project

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

New belt knife project

Post by Ringulf »

A while back there was a post by our friend Monsuer Le- Loup, about making nice belt knives by the stock removal method. I had also seen an "Instructable" along the same lines showing how to make a scandinavian style Knifr doing very much the same thing. Well I am in need of some prizes for SCA events and thought that this could work nicely for that, and to add to the merchant table for the spring opportunities I may see.
The trick was finding the right stock knife. In my case, I wanted something I did not have to do too much modification on the blade and one that also had a wooden handle with enough stock to let me do some simple carving.
I found both in the chunky "Outback" style steak knives. I found a number of them in the many Thrift stores around my home, ranging from 25 cents to a dollar. (I love to repurpose)
I also looked in my local restuarant supply store in Daytona and found them for a moderate price new. The pictures you will see here all all thrift store knives that cost less than a dollar a peice.

The first step for me is to use a flat punch and a hammer to tap the three rivits in so the handles are tight.
After this I grind the seration off the front edge of the blade and then sand the handle down a bit to expose the grain to carving and staining. By carving and woodburning you can do all kinds of fun things with the generous amount of wood in these handles. I even found it was not difficult to apply a peice of tape to the blade and use the dremel to enscribe some runes or designs on the face of the blade. These blades are springy, flexible steel but thicker than most so they make serviceable belt knifes and wilth a simple Nordic type pocket sheath or Gotland type sheath they look very respectable, with not too great an investment that it smarts to give it away.

All in all not a bad project, I know some junior Rangers that have been looking for some starter knives and I think this could be a very managable afternoon class. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Ringulf on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Re: New belt knife project

Post by Eric C »

They look good from a distance. But I can't enlarge the pics to see them better. :(
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yeah Eric I am not sure why my picture all come out so small now but if you want to get a better look at them you can hit my devient art page Mica1323 I am going to go put them up on there too. :mrgreen:

Better views on Deviant Art page, here's the link:

http://mica1323.deviantart.com/
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Awesome stuff Ringulf!!! My fiance' and I both love the green one!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

That's so cool! You have an amazing talent for seeing the potential in mundane objects. Have you given any thought to aging the brass rivets?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
jbook

Post by jbook »

Well, I admire your desire to "repurpose" things Ringulf. However, I find the idea of taking a stainless steal steak knife and making it a "belt knife" somewhat...interesting. I believe Udwin posted a very fascinating post on the materials found in Middle Earth based on his research and I don't believe Stainless Steel was one of them.

I'm not saying that there is anything inherently wrong with making a knife this way (other than it being stainless steel and stainless steel being a fairly modern innovation) , especially if it's for SCA, I doubt it will get much heavy use in the field and it is the Society of Creative Anachronism after all so...be creative I guess.

I'm sure a man of your ability could just as easily find some scrap wood and fashion a very nice knife of a more authentic nature.

Your sheath work is very nice!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ringulf wrote:Well I am in need of some prizes for SCA events and thought that this could work nicely for that, and to add to the merchant table for the spring opportunities I may see.
The trick was finding the right stock knife. In my case, I wanted something I did not have to do too much modification on the blade and one that also had a wooden handle with enough stock to let me do some simple carving.
I found both in the chunky "Outback" style steak knives. I found a number of them in the many Thrift stores around my home, ranging from 25 cents to a dollar. (I love to repurpose)
I also looked in my local restuarant supply store in Daytona and found them for a moderate price new. The pictures you will see here all all thrift store knives that cost less than a dollar a peice.

These blades are springy, flexible steel but thicker than most so they make serviceable belt knifes and wilth a simple Nordic type pocket sheath or Gotland type sheath they look very respectable, with not too great an investment that it smarts to give it away.

All in all not a bad project, I know some junior Rangers that have been looking for some starter knives and I think this could be a very managable afternoon class. :mrgreen:
This was the focus of the project in it's entirety I was not trying to make any historical claims, just saying it was a simple project for prizes and starters, perhaps some basic instruction. The knives themselves are best used at table feasts in the SCA or for groups that are not particularly "Re-enactment based" Le Loup's post did not use stainless steel I am sure!
Udwin's post was indeed very scholarly, and I read it with great interest, but again this is one man's (valued) opinion and as I see it a guide or suggestion rather than a Forum standard. (just as Eskimos have over a hundred words for snow, Dwarves may have as many for different types of metal and alloys, hee hee)
I use what I feel fits the need in the situation. and when making a period or authentic peice for myself or a friend will go to such legnths as you describe. But I have been giving away 60 dollar knives in an afternoon shoot and that sometimes can exhaust the coffers of even the richest of Dwarves, (which I am not, sadly) so for this project I let loose the fetters of period correctness and supplimented true value with creative value in trying to make a simple, inexepensive peice that might still be useful and appreciated by one who showed skill and achievement in Live Weapons.
I am glad you like the sheath. Again rather simple but it builds a bit of worth into the prize.
And J Book my explanation is just that, an explanation of purpose. I do appreciate and embrace your admonishment as well as your compliments (it was kindly worded and sincere) as I have nothing but admiration for you and the depth of your M.E. interpretation. :mrgreen:
jbook

Post by jbook »

I know you were not trying to make any historical claims and that is totally fine. I just think there are more "plausible" options for a very affordable knife. Though, as this is for SCA then as the name suggests creative anachronisms are totally acceptable.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Nicely done. Do you use any power-carving tools (ie. dremels, etc.) or is this all just one with small-blade knives (ie. Butz, Flexcut, etc.)?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I use my rotory tools for some projects depending on the details I want but they are normally just to save time. I start with a burning pen to scribe the details on these then use my flexcut knives and an emery board (procured at the local beauty supply) the dye on this is leather dye with a rubbed effect. I like the scale effects I can get with the burning pen laid sideways, these however were done with a little gouge.
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Very nice looking.