arrowheads

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson39
Wayfarer

arrowheads

Post by RikJohnson39 »

Sorry for the new profile. I posted the explanation in the Prancing Pony.

last year I found an ad in Craigslist for archery gear $20!
I rushed out to the middle of the desert to find some guy with a box of heads, tools, shaft sctions, etc. There were over a hundred arrowheads both glue-on and screw-in, both target point and broadhead, all sorts of neat stuff.

Thinking about this, I decided to try something.
The top row are original arrowheads I bought, the bottom row are what I adapted or made myself.
This is a broadhead I converted to a swallowtail.

I took some of the broadheads to my belt-sander and came up with a make-shift swallowtail arrowhead. Not as good as the one I bought but affordable.
Also flattened some PVC and made some faux-bone heads. Once I get some real bones (I occasionally find a dead cow while hiking), I'll use the techniques I learned with the PVC to make some bone arrowheads.
All that must happen for Evil to triumph is for the Good People to stand by and do nothing!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: arrowheads

Post by Peter Remling »

Rik:

I sent you an email re:the old account.

When you eventually use bone make sure you either wear a face mask or preferably grind it outside. If inhaled it can make you ill and it will stink up your house something fierce. I already made that mistake.

Pete
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

NEW arrowheads

Post by RikJohnson »

I found some heads on Etsy so had to make a few awwors.
Top Row left to right:
- couple old brodheads from the early 70's
- birding head I got ofgf etsy
- home-made varmet head.
Bottom Row left to right
- 3-blade broadhead I got from Cjhina
- couple bodkins from Etsy
- couple swallowtails from ebay
- 2 broadheads (one double blade the other tri-blade) I got from a great deal and modified into modern swallowtails. Got a huge box of dozens and dozens of heads and gear for $20 off CL.

Pre-etsy deal, I wanted to make my own birding points so made these from some spoons and target heads. I still need to solder them together.
I doubt that the longer ones on the right I made from the spoon-handle will be workable. Probably will twist-&-shatter the shaft if I hit anything.

I just received 2 dozen cedar shafts from Saggittarius and expect a couple dozen more from etsy this weekend so instead of paddling Canyon Lake, I may make arrows instead.
My home-made dip-tube works well.
I made it from some PVC and the cover to a mop I found.
The drying stand is closed-cell foam I drilled holes into.

Obviously I canno throw anything away nor can I pass up any good deal. If I can find properly spined shafts for $18/doz, I'll buy them up in case I loose of break shafts.

I did have to remove the antler arrow-rest from my longbow as it was stripping feathers. Poor design.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ah, darn you! I've been checking the delivery number on a dozen shafts all week. Can't wait to get get heads on 'em and experiment with real medieval(ish) heads and fletching for the first time!

Rik - do you buy finished fletchings or start with raw feathers? If the latter, can you offer some pointers on the "removing the feather from the vane / preparing the base" stage? I think I grok the "masking-tape-and-razor-knife" technique for shaping the vane, but how to handle the base is still befuddling me.

Any advice?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

re: advice... not much. Mostly on mistakes I make<g>.

I buy my feathers pre-cut from Saggitarius to keep them uniform, BUT I did buy a feather-cutter from 3-Rivers and have experimented with it. I can cut them easily with the cutter but am having trouble getting the spine cut-&-sanded properly. The problem with cutting my own feathers is getting a steady supply of decent feathers. You would think that with the turkley hunting season and all the people around who raise geese and turkeys, it would be easy... but I can never get decent feathers from local people.
I did request from Sag that all my feathers be 'left-wing'. I had no reason other than I flipped a coin and find it easier if I buy ONLY one wing to prevent me from mixing left and right feathers on the same arrow.

I bought 2 dozen shafts from Saggitarius and have nothing but praise for them.
I bought 2 dozen shafts from an archedry dealer on Etsy and... well they are in the process of becoming display arrows. A good deal may not be worth buying which is why I now avoid shafts from China or Etsy.

So I will go back to Sag. At least I got 2 dozen good target arrows and a dozen or more hunting arrows of differnt types from the remaining Sag shafts.

The bottom line is that although I make my own gear such as string-jigs and nock-jigs and poundage-tester, etc, those are simple engineering projects.
I prefer to buy my shafts and feathers from a reputable dealer like Sag or 3-R and assemble them myself, though I DO cut my own traditional nock.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.