New Pouch

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

New Pouch

Post by Daerir »

My friend (sadly not a ranger :( ) and I went to this enormous antique store and browsing through the junk I stumbled upon a beauty!!

http://prntscr.com/79gx5i

It's all leather and I even think its handcrafted. I could be wrong but there isn't a label anywhere or any signs that there ever was. Its spacious and fits all my gear (what little I have :lol: ) and still has plenty of room! The only think is that there isn't a button or a loop to actually close it, gravity does all the work, which is okay with me and is also easily changeable if I so change my mind.

Here's an inside shot of it with my junk :lol:
http://prntscr.com/79gxhp
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: New Pouch

Post by RikJohnson »

Good Find!

I look for those "indian" purses made from suade (sp) with the fringe that were popular in the 60-80's.
Cut the fringe off, add a button or tie and you have an excellent pouch.

this is very similar to the one you have.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

RikJohnson wrote:Good Find!

I look for those "indian" purses made from suade (sp) with the fringe that were popular in the 60-80's.
Cut the fringe off, add a button or tie and you have an excellent pouch.

Believe it or not there was no fringe on it!! I just noticed that it also has this pair of strange loops on the base of the strap; it appears as if a pen or something would slip into it.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

It's still a great find.
The one I have carries my Period Archery gear and every time I make the rounds of the thrist stores and yard sales, these are one of the things I look for.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

RikJohnson wrote:It's still a great find.
The one I have carries my Period Archery gear and every time I make the rounds of the thrist stores and yard sales, these are one of the things I look for.
I do too! I have found many very repurpose-worthy items that way. I go into my select thrift shops looking for leathergoods, like belts, boots, clothing and pouches (mainly purses that have little to no modern fastinings and are of real leather) wooden feastgear, clay and ceramic Mugs, Linen or wool, fur, and any "oddities" I feel I can work with.
I found a serving knife the other day that was marked 75 cents and it was half off everything in the store so I still gave them 50 cents and walked out with a pre 1900 steel bladed carving knife with a sterling silver bolster and a handle of elephant ivory. the ivory alone was worth somewhere around 300 dollars.
So truly if you keep your eyes open you realy never know what you can find. one man's trash is another man's treasure. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I'd often thought of grabbing a satchel myself and save some weight on my belt
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'