Leaf Spring Swords

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Leaf Spring Swords

Post by Eothain »

So has anyone here pondered, spoke of or even made a blade from a vehicle's leaf spring?
This is something brought up to me well over a year ago by a dear friend, and recently it has popped back into my mind.

This is the link he shared with me: http://www.livesteelarmor.com/how/warsword.html

I may give this a shot this year if I have the time to do so. I don't believe I can craft the style of fittings I would want on it, and am currently searching for a vendor that has a nice stock of furniture. I have mostly ran into things too simplistic or things that are oriental. The nice part is, being in a rural community, getting ahold of a leaf spring may actually be quite easy and inexpensive, if not free.

Any thoughts on the matter?
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Leaf Spring Swords

Post by Peter Remling »

Leaf springs have been used for decades in making knives. The only issue you may have is finding a leaf spring long enough to do a full sized sword. AS far as sword furniture goes, take a look at this, you thing you'd like :

https://darksword-armory.com/product/sword-fittings/

If you do decide to try it, take step by step pics for us.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try to find a decent sized leaf spring to make the blade. Maybe off of some farm equipment or semi. I took a gander at Darksword's fittings earlier today. Though I am more partial to cylinder shaped pommels than round/circle styled ones. Don't know why, just aesthetically more satisfying to my eyes. If I start the project I shall definitely put it up for all to see.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

That is what I used for tomahawks and my elven hunting knife. They make fine blades...but you may want to fold and hammer the metal a few times. Leaf springs can get some wear in the metal through use, a situation that can be remedied sufficiently by fold and hammer. I used to have a friend who ran a repair shop set aside leaf springs, coil springs, and other things from cars for me. A very inexpensive source of good carbon steel, back when I had my forge operating.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I echo what has been said above and have seen some very nice blades come from leaf springs. Just one question for Pete, What gives with the Darksword guys? They never have Norse blades and furniture! Argh! And as far as some furniture goes try "Raymonds Quiet Press" as well they have some cool stuff.

:mrgreen:

https://www.quietpress.com/
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Kirby Wise out in Ehrenburg, Arizona used to make some real nice swords from leaf springs. They were simple, heavy and cound hack through an engine block.
At $20 in 1972 (discount if you gave him a blank spring) they were barely affordable to we college kids. Of course you can easily add a zero or two today.

As the years went by, his skills improved, as did his artistry and I believe that his son runs the armory now.

Contact any SCA in Arizona, S. Calif and they should be able to give you a contact.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ringulf wrote:I echo what has been said above and have seen some very nice blades come from leaf springs. Just one question for Pete, What gives with the Darksword guys? They never have Norse blades and furniture! Argh! And as far as some furniture goes try "Raymonds Quiet Press" as well they have some cool stuff.

:mrgreen:

https://www.quietpress.com/

Hey Scott, I think the only offer the parts that they get in excess to their demand or the parts for swords they have discontinued.
Alderic
Dúnadan

Post by Alderic »

I've seen plenty of knives but I don't see any reason you couldn't make a sword with one. Never made one myself, but I do remember someone having their leaf spring blade snap while being drawn out because of the stress in the metal. Folding might be a good idea like Eledhwen said.

While I've never looked into it, I've heard that lawnmower blades are the same or a similar steel and make good knives as well. Can't imagine you'd find one big enough for a sword though.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

Raymond's Quiet Press was a good link, they sell a viking themed set of fittings that Darksword also forges for one of their swords. I don't believe I would be able to make a two-handed sword, so if I could get a one-handed done these fittings would be perfect. As a plus this probably is as close as I could get to a Rohirrim theme.

I don't know if I would be able to fold and hammer the leaf springs though. I have a lot of tools and power tools and even an anvil at hand, but being a newb at this, I don't know if I would be able to hot forge anything just yet. I will study up on the techniques though, possibly try to get more than one leaf spring so that I may try different things.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I have not tried this myself, but one thing I've seen over and over is warnings about unseen stress fractures in old leaf springs. These will be fatal to the blade and could be harmful or fatal to the user. Another problem with leaf springs that I've seen reported is that even when they are forged out, sometimes when they are heat treated and tempered, they snap back into their old shape as a spring. You could run into some complications with the leaf spring. But if you're like me, you will try it anyway. :lol: If you do this, you know you have to post pics and let us know how it goes.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

This is why I said one probably ought to fold and hammer them before ever forming a billet or blade from them. It's what my master did, and what I do. Hammering out the stress, so to speak.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Eledhwen wrote:This is why I said one probably ought to fold and hammer them before ever forming a billet or blade from them. It's what my master did, and what I do. Hammering out the stress, so to speak.

Eledhwen

Nobody has ever taught me this. I'm pretty much self-taught ( I guess it shows :oops: ). But I have often wondered about it. It only makes sense to me that 1) if there are cracks, they can be welded back together through the folding process, and 2) it would take out the natural tendency of the steel to become a spring once more.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I was taught by my master...I took a couple of formal courses on smithing and bladesmithing, otherwise I was self-taught. In any case, he would have me heat them to a bright orange heat, cut with a hardy, bend over, bring to a welding heat, forge weld, and so on. Did this a few times. then bring it back out to the shape you want. Very time consuming, but it takes care of the flaws in the metal from stress and such.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thanks for the tips guys! I definitely needed the insight!

And man, what I would give to have a mentor or master in the art of craft or combat! Up until now I am self taught as well.
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Eledhwen wrote:I was taught by my master...I took a couple of formal courses on smithing and bladesmithing, otherwise I was self-taught. In any case, he would have me heat them to a bright orange heat, cut with a hardy, bend over, bring to a welding heat, forge weld, and so on. Did this a few times. then bring it back out to the shape you want. Very time consuming, but it takes care of the flaws in the metal from stress and such.

Eledhwen
This is probably the best approach. Having said that, I forged a single handed sword from a discarded leaf spring many years ago and had it professionally heat treated. They had to fully anneal and clamp the blade down to keep it from bending back to its original shape, but they did make it an acceptable blade.