My eket WIP

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

My eket WIP

Post by Ursus »

Just wanted to take some time to share a few photos of the eket I stared making for myself a few months back.
This started life as a Windlass sword hilted dagger. The original had a slightly curved guard. I don't personally like curved guards so I dismounted it, straightened it and did some profile work with my belt sander. The original handle was junk so I scrapped it and made a new core over which I did a leather over cord wrap with an antiqued brown dye job. The blade had the typical Windlass mirror polish underneath the clear coat it comes covered in so I drew it back to a satin finish. My calipers say that the guard still needs some material taken off. After that I'll do the final polish, age the hilt pieces, wedge the guard in place, and prep the pommel for peening. And then its scabbard time! For scabbards I use the slat method and plan on doing a tutorial for the benefit of my fellow rangers. Have a safe and happy 4th all!
Attachments
eket2.jpg
eket2.jpg (102.53 KiB) Viewed 10539 times
eket.jpg
eket.jpg (95.94 KiB) Viewed 10539 times
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: My eket WIP

Post by Manveruon »

Wow, great work! Looks beautiful already! I can't wait to see the final product!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I like quite a bit! Waiting for that scabbard!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Nice work! I rarely see a stock handle (esp Windlass) that I can't imagine replacing with something better.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Awesome job! Looks like a very just weapon!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Agreed, always great to see people's skills here
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Coming together nicely!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Gorgeous!
Fine work Brother Bear!
Nice lines, good stock, Dwarf approved!! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: