Ranger Helm

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Ranger Helm

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

I was looking at KoA and saw this helmet:

Inspired by the appearance of the Rangers in The Return of the King, thinking hard of getting it.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Ranger Helm

Post by Manveruon »

Nice looking light-helmet! To my eye it's just about perfect for one of the Grey Company.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Interesting notion! Liking it...someone needs to hit that with some 6-800 grit and get a patina-like finish going.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Greg wrote:Interesting notion! Liking it...someone needs to hit that with some 6-800 grit and get a patina-like finish going.
The helmet I use now had a similar finish, it was from Bud-K and I used brake fluid to get the paint off, not sure if this is the same kind of finish or not.

KEn
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Cool helmet! I've been scanning the web for a "ranger helm" on and off for months, and this is a style I like very much.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Nice item. I hate helms despite having a few different ones for combat. This looks like it work well if the Corps ever needed to armor up as it were
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Grey company was wearing helms, so it did happen.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

in a book sure, for me, not gonna. I wear ranger kit to have moment not hinder it but I'm a more acrobatic kind of guy anyway
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Nice helmet. Yeah, fix the paint job and whack it a couple of times to give it some damage and I'd say good to go.

(Oh, did I mention that is my absence I started hanging around a Star Wars related forum that pushes for weathering on their particular kits? :lol: )
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Some nice weathering is always welcome, to me! That said, one must be careful not to go overboard with items that are intended to be used in the field - and in the end, field use provides the best weathering :mrgreen:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Manveruon wrote:Some nice weathering is always welcome, to me! That said, one must be careful not to go overboard with items that are intended to be used in the field - and in the end, field use provides the best weathering :mrgreen:
I've always thought that was a good point for a ranger kit. There is no need to weather it if you are going to get out in the wilds with it. It will happen naturally.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Did you ever get this helm Mirimaran? would love to see it as part of the standing "Kit".
I am working on a leather helm for my Raven Hill Scout kit. I plan on trying to for a leather version of the Grim Hammer helms shown at the gate of Erebor in the prologue of the first hobbit movie. Much of the inspiration comming from the Turner Mohan sketches of Second age Dwarven Helm and bevor sets. It should have several add on or removeable peices.

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Those look very awesome, no haven't gotten it yet, pesky bills have to be caught up first lol but plan to.

Ken