Middle-Earth Surcoat

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Middle-Earth Surcoat

Post by Greg »

I will use the terms Surcoat and Surcote intentionally here, in two contexts. Surcoat is the spelling used by Tolkien in the few references made to the garment, so it should receive some note, and will be used when referencing anything that is Tolkien-Specific. Surcote will be referenced specifically when historical garments are being discussed.

I cannot in good character claim sole responsibility for all of the research and information present. Having a background in Scouting, Archery, and Bushcraft, rather than Historical reenactment, I am still catching up in the world of historical knowledge...particularly where it relates to garments and similar everyday cultural topics. Much of the information contained in here was originally provided by other forum members, most Notably Taurinor and Eledhwen, among others. Thanks for the info, hope I do it justice!

----------

" And my search would have been in vain, but for the help that I
had from a friend: Aragorn, the greatest traveller and huntsman of this age
of the world."

I've been beating this dead horse a lot lately (apologies to Equestrians), that the goal of a Tolkien-accurate Ranger persona should be, first and foremost, that of a Traveller and Hunter. This is an honorable charge, but I KNOW it can't be the only pursuit. There are too many references to Rangers as protectors to overlook combat readiness and effectiveness.

Soooo....how do we put the two together?

The Surcote, historically, seems to have begun as a military garment and then, as Taurinor suggests, meshed itself with nonmilitary culture over time, much as epaulettes have become commonplace in our modern culture long after finding their place on Military uniforms. The military form, which, in my opinion, would be the most typically useful cut of the garment for a Ranger, was used in a practical manner to protect armor worn underneath from the sun/oppressive heat, as well as to display a coat of arms, etc. There is more to the concept, but that's all we really need here.

Tolkien references Surcoats twice:
ROTK: Minas Tirith, Re: Guards of the Citadel wrote: Upon the black surcoats were embroidered in white a tree blossoming like snow beneath a silver crown and many-pointed stars. This was the livery of the heirs of Elendil, and none wore it now in all Gondor, save the Guards of the Citadel before the Court of the Fountain where the White Tree once had grown.
ROTK: Minas Tirith, Re: Pippin wrote:It was as he said; and Pippin soon found himself arrayed in strange garments, all of black and silver. He had a small hauberk, its rings forged of steel, maybe, yet black as jet; and a high-crowned helm with small raven-wings on either side, set with a silver star in the centre of the circlet. Above the mail was a short surcoat of black, but broidered on the breast in silver with the token of the Tree.
Both of these references are strictly military, and show that the basic function of a Surcote, as we discussed above, was understood by Tolkien: Worn over armor, and often displaying a coat of arms. However, these references are both strictly in Minas Tirith, which doesn't help us for Rangers in Arnor. At least...not directly.

If we allow for Taurinor's suggestion that military dress often affects civilian styles, this could allow for the wearing of the Surcoat from Minas Tirith and Southern Ithilien all the way west to Pinnath Gelin, especially among the male adolescents aspiring to the Gondorian military (with high hopes of someday wearing the Silver and Black themselves). So there's that...but it still doesn't get us up to Bree...

Until we recall that the Silver and Black of the Guards of the Citadel was reserved for their position exclusively, and they wore the livery of the king which itself was a tradition hailing from the days of Numenor. Since the Rangers are the last remnant of the trueborns from Numenor, the livery of the King would not be forgotten in Arnor, and I wouldn't think it too far-fetched to think that the garment the symbols were worn on would be remembered. Surely some treasured Artworks, embroideries, or other items would, somewhere, contain the wearing of a Surcoat amongst the king's guards (or perhaps images of Elendil himself, etc.) Who knows...maybe the Argonath were sporting Surcoats as well?

So that gets us that far, theoretically. Now...why would a Ranger want one?

All of the patterns based on historical sources I've found for the military Surcote tend to flare widely, especially past the belt line, much like period tunics using Gores. This creates a free-flowing, yet lightweight garment that serves its purpose well on campaign...but how much sun exposure do we expect a Northern Ranger's chain maille to be getting? Eledhwen spoke from personal experience about the importance of the Surcote keeping the sun off armor to avoid overheating...but how often would a Ranger be put in that situation? Few of us even own maille, and we don't exactly post regularly about wearing it in the bush. So, does this mean that the Surcote doesn't serve a purpose for us, since there's no armor to protect?

Strictly historically...yeah. Not much purpose. But this is Middle-Earth we're talking about, so I went in a somewhat different direction. I maintained the theme of the Surcote being a "protective" garment against the elements, but from the perspective of the needs of a Traveller, rather than a campaigning Crusader, etc.

My cloak protects me from the rain rather well. My back, head, shoulders, and (with a little ingenuity), arms, are covered well...but when you walk briskly in the rain, time and experience will reveal that there's one part of you that ALWAYS winds up soaked. Your thighs. From the knees almost up to the belt line, with every step, you get more and more wet. This is an area, along with your feet and your head, that will create maximum discomfort to sleep in when wet, so I sought a solution, and here present to you my 100% oilcloth, hand-stitched Surcoat.

The material is stiff, so making a widely flared surcote such as historically would have been made from linen would not be practical...it wouldn't drape right or move how/when you do, so the pattern had to be modified. This Surcoat is more fitted, though it DOES taper slightly from the base up towards the shoulders, so it's a bit wider along the bottom edge for extra coverage. The oilcloth is a thick, difficult-to-stitch material, and this project represents over 20 feet of backstitching...two of my fingers are still healing, and it took two months between work, moving, and parenting to finish. I cut this out before my last moot in Indiana, and had hoped to wear it on that trip. Fat chance.

It can be worn over or under the outer tunic, depending on wants/needs, and is slim fitted through the torso to be worn under an outer jerkin (an upcoming project for which I don't even possess the materials yet, so don't get excited). The arm slits are ample and allow for plenty of movement, and the side openings and front/rear slits do not hinder at all...I can run in it comfortably. The length rides right around the height of my boots, so the material bridges the gap between tunic and boots, obscuring the obvious and often out-of-place human silhouette when the need arises, and the color is a pleasant, naturally-occurring brown. It is completely waterproof...I can literally carry water in it if need be, though I don't plan to use this function...it just shows how well this stuff works. It doesn't breathe exceptionally well, due to its inherent properties, so I don't intend to wear it at all times (particularly on long stints of foot travel) but it rolls up VERY tightly, and could be rolled either inside the bedroll, or could be strapped to the side of the bedroll or slipped down inside the quiver, etc. for a more convenient stowage location. It is big enough to wrap my foodstuffs in and tie into a bundle to be suspended in a tree, thus bear-proofing my camp on a rainy night without any risk of contaminating my dry goods with water, while allowing me to make full use of my oilcloth tarp for a shelter. At the same time, it's also just big enough that if I needed to, I could attach it to my shelter tarp as an extension if more room were needed or I needed additional protection from rain falling in multiple directions, etc. Not a perfect seal like the actual shelter tarp, due to slits and things, but a weatherproof buffer that can hold its own nonetheless. I've also contemplated using it to wrap my blades during a stormy night to avoid water invading scabbards, etc.

Now, I'm not claiming that this is a 100% original idea...several forum members, notably Eothain among others, have Surcotes of varying similarity to this in their kits, or other garments with a hemline that resembles this 'split' profile. In addition, the Ithilien Rangers in the New Line films are shown with a non-split Surcoat, whereas Faramir has something closer to mine worn under his leather chestpiece. However, I very much dislike the non-split ones the Ithilien Rangers sport...that is a gigantic underbrush-snagging-nightmare waiting to happen, despite the fact that they look pretty cool. That factored heavily into this design, coupled with the fact that oilcloth is very tough but smooth, so I've found it resists snagging significantly over wool and linen.

My attempts to find a credible reference for Oilcloth have been fruitless, as even the search for the world 'Oil' in a usable context has been found wanting...it is not even discussed in reference to protecting steel from rust, which could have at least set the stage for knowledge of its water repellent properties. I do consider the use of the fabric to be well within the realm of possibility, due to the cultural and technological variety present, as well as the seeming variances in historical parallel from one region to the next. All the same, I find some small comfort in the fact that the professor (or, at least Christopher Tolkien) knows what "oilskins" are, as per letter 96:
96 To Christopher Tolkien 20 Northmoor Road, Oxford wrote:I arrived late (after an appalling acrobatic ride) attired like a 'Skegnes' fisherman, [3]...
Footnote 3, found in Notes, for letter 96, the Letters wrote:3. A reference to a celebrated poster advertising the 'bracing' air of the sea-resort of Skegness, on which there appeared a cheery-looking fisherman clad entirely in oilskins.
Not perfect, not Middle-Earth...but it's something.

Thanks for taking the time to wade through all of that (if you, indeed, had the patience!) Hope you enjoyed, and hope you found my thoughts and/or references helpful.

-Greg
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Middle-Earth Surcoat

Post by Ursus »

Greg that is some seriously staggeringly beautiful and inspirational work, the hand stitching alone is amazing. Is the oilcloth homemade? May have to consider trying this one some day.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks! This is the same oilcloth I got off JBook and use as a shelter Tarp...I bought ample material from him for both projects and a bit of scrap,
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Looking good, I dig it! Definitely getting more of the 'Ranger silhouette' as you add these layers.
One thing which you might want to be aware of - the tendency of oilcloth to 'bleed' onto other (more absorbent) materials if they are heated and touching. I have an oilskin duster that I used to store in my car, and my cotton duffel bag now bears an indelible oily spot from where the two apparently spent a hot day touching. Not really a problem if you wore your surcoat over maille (heck, it'd be like automatic oiling!) but just a thought if you're going to be wearing the oilskin directly over linen or wool.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Very nice, Greg! I had a suspicion that this is what you were going to use your extra oilcloth for. My only concern is the lack of its breathability - mine is made of suede and has become drenched from perspiration on short, uncompleted treks recently.
All in all this is a beautifully made and well thought piece of craftsmanship! Very well done, sir!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Greg

Post by Greg »

That's part of the trick...it doesn't breathe terribly well, but isn't designed to be worn while intentionally putting miles underfoot. If I've got a bedroll, quiver, and food pantry on my back, the surcoat will be rolled up, for sure. This comes into play 1) during inclement weather, 2) [sometimes] during short-range patrols or spot-and-stalk hunting outings for silhouette purposes, and/or 3) during winter treks, when the added insulation won't be a bother, particularly when there's snow on the ground.

I won't make another one out of a more cooperative material, as I don't believe a Ranger would have a big pile of garments lying around to choose from...I designed a cloak that I am happy to wear and use in all seasons, and this Surcoat goes by those same guidelines. When I don't need the surcoat, I won't wear it. There'd be no purpose for my Ranger persona to put on a surcoat of another material, since the main intended purpose of having this one is for weather protection. That will obviously vary for others, it's just how this is meant to play out within my interpretation.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

As usual, Greg, it is outstanding, the Ranger's Ranger, indeed!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

It looks really good and that's a well thought out idea.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oooookay, so I tried to respond to this the night you posted it, but my computer ate my whole meticulously-thought-out-and-written post, so I got frustrated and haven't been back to do it again until now. In any case, let me try to remember the basics of what I said...

First off, WOW, that looks GREAT! Very well done! I love the look, and it seems very practical as well! You put a lot of thought into this garment, and it shows - and the hand stitching! The hand stitching! Egads, man!

Very good thoughts, also, regarding the potential use of surcoats as by the Rangers of Middle Earth. Here are some of my own musings on the subject:

First off, I think you're totally spot-on in your assertion that surcoats are entirely plausible items of Middle-Earth-appropriate clothing. There have been many different versions of that basic type of garment throughout history, and it seems reasonable that, for the various reasons you mention, and probably more still, they might have been worn by some cultures in Middle Earth - especially those with Numenorean ties. And once again, just as in the discussion over on your jerkin thread, I would argue that surcoats are highly practical garments, and it makes a lot of sense that a ranger might choose to wear one. Yes, technically, the historical reasoning behind surcoats was to protect armor, but what you have here seems to me to basically serve the purpose of a modern vest - in that it adds an additional layer of warmth and protection to the upper torso without encumbering the arms - with the added benefit of being long enough to cover the upper legs as well (an issue I believe you are quite right to consider important). Now as for what a surcoat is in general, I think the term "surcoat/cote" is only very roughly defined throughout history, and one could argue that certain iterations of these garments easily cross over with other long sleeveless garments, like tabbards, waistcoats, and jerkins. There seems to be very little in the way of an actual definition for any of these items, and I've seen many of them variously called by different names at different times by different people.

And that's just the thing: whether it's a tabbard, a surcoat, or a jerkin - whatever you want to call it - a long-ish, sleeveless garment made of some type of rough-wearing material (be that canvas, leather, oilcloth, etc.) really is a nice thing to have in your kit. Vests ARE practical clothing items, which is why they have persisted in one form or another over many centuries.

As for the material, there may not be any direct references within the Middle Earth Legendarium to oilcloth or oilskins, but there WAS in fact a cloth that served very much the same purpose, and was made in a similar way, back in the Middle Ages. It was called cerecloth, and it was made with wax. Generally, it was used to cover altars to protect them from grime and stains from sacramental wine, but it was apparently also used by peasants as a material for weatherproof clothing, upon occasion. No, it's not Middle Earth, but we always say we try to fill in the blanks of Middle Earth material culture with real-world history, and I'd say this fits that notion pretty well.

Finally, with regard to your desire to create a more "Middle-Earth-Silhouette," I would have to say this works extremely well. You mention the fact that the Ithilien rangers wear a type of surcoat which is not split at the front, but only at the sides, an that's an excellent point, but I'd also like to draw your attention to the two pictures below, which show rangers of Ithilien wearing almost the exact type of garment you've got here. Mind you, one of them is wearing it underneath the sort of tabbard/surcoat you mentioned (the pointed one that's split on the sides), but the other one seems to be wearing it as his outermost layer. Also, theirs seem to possibly be split all the way up the front, and are a little longer than yours, but the basic elements are all there, so I'd say yours falls in line very closely with that look. It's also worth noting, as an aside, that if you look closely you'll notice all the Ithilien Rangers had slight variations in their garb; they weren't all perfectly uniform, which I found to be a highly realistic detail, especially for a pre-Modern-Era culture.

Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

First of all...thanks!

Second, some good points there. It's interesting...the second ithilien ranger pictured wears the non-split one underneath, while the first wears it on top...wonder if they did that for variation, or if someone was in a hurry and messed up...
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, I had that thought as well, but looking at that picture and various others, honestly I think they did it to create variation among Faramir's troops, because there are several points in the movie itself where you can see different Ithilien rangers wearing their garb in different ways, or in some cases not wearing certain pieces at all. So to me, it's unlikely it was just someone dressing a guy for the promo and going "whoops!" but I do suppose it's possible, heh.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Of course...all joking aside, they did a great job with that part of the legendarium. I was ecstatic that they didn't put masks over their eyes a la Hildebrandt...I couldn't have asked for the overall look to have gone as well as it did. Nearly as much function went into the thought of the Ithilien Rangers as went into Viggo's stuff, and I would even say that, minus a few things that might be a little excessive, the Ithilien Rangers were closer to our expectation of ANY Middle-Earth Ranger than Viggo's initial kit. The duster was (and still is) just way too much for me.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Greg wrote:Of course...all joking aside, they did a great job with that part of the legendarium. I was ecstatic that they didn't put masks over their eyes a la Hildebrandt...I couldn't have asked for the overall look to have gone as well as it did. Nearly as much function went into the thought of the Ithilien Rangers as went into Viggo's stuff, and I would even say that, minus a few things that might be a little excessive, the Ithilien Rangers were closer to our expectation of ANY Middle-Earth Ranger than Viggo's initial kit. The duster was (and still is) just way too much for me.
PREACH. :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Don't let me get too high on that soapbox, or there won't be a southerner in bree that could pull me back off it...
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, I've actually warmed up to the duster somewhat over the years, but it's still far from my favorite piece of costuming in the films, that's for sure.