Backyard bowyer rebar bodkins

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Backyard bowyer rebar bodkins

Post by ineffableone »

Figured this new video from Backyard bowyer was worth mentioning here

Eric C
Vendor

Re: Backyard bowyer rebar bodkins

Post by Eric C »

Considering that rebar was sparking like it had some carbon content to it, I would say that quenching it in oil also hardened it a bit. I've seen him do another project on youtube. I think it was a knife.
I'll have to try his method sometime as I've never successfully made arrowheads before but I'm interested in it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I know for a fact that you could easily crank some of these out with your skills. Put me on your wait list.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Nice video, good method for quick points. I've done this before but with broadheads and I forge welded the cone portion together; I have this thing for neatness.

Nicely done. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Greg wrote:I know for a fact that you could easily crank some of these out with your skills. Put me on your wait list.
That goes for me too Eric, I saw this video when it came out as I have been following him. He is a very talented and creative young man. You could find quite a market for these I think as long as the Time/Price ratio was good for you. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh - I'd always thought rebar was super-soft? Was that just the temper, and it hardens up nicely when heat treated properly?

Regardless - cool!

(And that dude is gonna be super popular if there's ever a zombie apocalypse. MOAR ARROZE! :) )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. As usual you humble me.

Elleth rebar can be anything from trash to good steel. I guess it depends on what they have on hand.

When I get more fuel for a forge, I'll see what I can do. Yeah I'll probably try to weld the socket too.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.