Bronze Age Nordic bow found

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Bronze Age Nordic bow found

Post by Straelbora »

Don't know if this story made it here yet:

http://thornews.com/2013/11/10/the-breh ... w-1300-bc/
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Brownno
Dúnadan

Re: Bronze Age Nordic bow found

Post by Brownno »

Wow what is very cool. I kinda wonder if anything from us will be found like this bow?
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Interesting!

I can't tell from the article and the comments seem divided: which side is the belly? Is it recurved, or more of a deflex design?

Also Browno - ha! I wonder about that to sometimes.

"Can you believe it? In the late material era, humans were so bored with their success that they played in their remaining wild areas with ancient-to-them technology - because they said it was more fun that way! What loons! " :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

It originally appeared to me to be a recurve. There are two clues...number one, the second photo, which details the limb tips, shows a small hook carved into the lower side of the tip, suggesting a string nock.

In addition, it appears to have semi-static tips, as the cross-section is D-shaped in the center, and triangular at the tips, using this rigid spine to stiffen the tips, which I find fascinating.

However, in the comments beneath, there's a bit of debate on which way it was strung. If it weren't for that little notch, I would have said I figured it was a reflexed bow that was left strung for a few hundred years before the string rotted away, etc...but until I can see it in person to see which sides the flat and D cross-sections are on, we may never know.

In that image above, you may also notice (on the side OPPOSITE the "string nock" that may or may not actually be a string nock), there is a splinter lifting along the curve. Splits don't lift on the belly of a bow, because that's where compression is happening. I think this lends more credence to that being the back of the bow, and the curves being a result of string follow...for what it's worth.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Greg that makes a lot of sense. And I agree with you on it being a recurve bow.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.