Announcing the "Cash-strapped and low on coal" sale

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Eric C
Vendor

Announcing the "Cash-strapped and low on coal" sale

Post by Eric C »

Image Image

Hopefully these will post. I'm still shakey on posting pics. Anyway, the title says it all. This knife was going to go to a maker out west so he could have a look at it. But the cash-strapped part got the better of me. A local maker that I found last week had a look at it and he liked it. I know it's not exactly ranger specific, but we could all use a good skinner if we hunt.
So now for some specs:
OAL 9 3/4"
Blade length 4 3/4"
Blade width at widest point 1 9/16"
Through tang construction with Walnut slabs and 1/4" brass pins from Pop's Knife Supply. Finished with Tung Oil. The steel is 3/16" Circular saw steel. Hand forged and ground to 400 grit then polished with buffing compound. Blade is heat treated, quenched in veg oil and tempered to a straw color.
I know the leather work on the sheath could use some work. I'm practicing that part.
$85 shipped to CONUS for members of this board. I will accept Postal Money Orders. I don't have a paypal account, sorry :(
PM me if you are interested.
I will be offering other knives soon, including a couple of small seax-ish knives for probably around $45 shipped CONUS.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Announcing the "Cash-strapped and low on coal" sale

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Eric, thats a good looking knife! 8) If my money wasnt so tight I would buy that for my dad. I cant wait to see your Seax 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hahahahaha! :lol: Oh, sorry I just wouldn't be expecting much out of the seaxes. They've been laying around heat treated and unfinished for quite a while. I'm hoping to get them done real soon though.

Thanks for the kind words though. I really appreciate it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Any Seax is better than no seax, :lol: I'm sure they look great.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

:shock: :lol: I got them both closer to a finished product today. I finished the rough grinding on both and started on the final grind for one. Time permitting and attention span holding out, Maybe I can get handle material cut out tomorrow after much more sanding. I sand these by hand and it takes a while. So you can see that the term "grind" is applied loosely here.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

PLEEEEAAAASE!!!! Don't make me send this knife off to ebay! Surely somebody needs a good skinner. I've never sold anything on ebay. This could be very traumatic for the knife. :cry: :P
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Eric,

How are the seax coming? Could you give me some idea as to blade length and shape as well as handle material?

Thanx

~RD~

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Blade length on one is a hair over 4". OAL: 8 9/16"
Blade length on the other is almost 5". OAL: 9.5".
I am thinking of using walnut for the handles. I have it in abundance. I am going to try to get pics tonight and post them. The larger one is ready for 400 grit sanding. The smaller one is still going through 220 grit.
And with that being said, I'm about to go work on them for a while. :D
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, let's see if Picasa likes me tonight.
http://picasaweb.google.com/919ericc/Se ... 1731912738
http://picasaweb.google.com/919ericc/Se ... 1829231026

Sorry about the bad focus on the pics. Like Pete said in a post once, it looked good on the screen, but didn't come out when I took it. The second pic is an attempt to show that the junction between the plunge cut and the ricasso is a little off. So I've tried to make them a bit more uniform. Hopefully I can get a better pic or two tomorrow, but these should give you an idea. Let me know what you think.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I love that little wolf claw on the bottom! If its not spoke for already that one has a loving home when its done 8) Shoot me a P.M. when you get little "wolf claw" fitted out.I dont need a sheath. I've got a sheath design in mind and want to give it a go.

I'll be honest I've never liked the 'raven beak' / 'wolf claw' seax style, I've always liked the broken back seax better....But this one just speaks to me 8)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Consider it pending then. I am HOPING to finish it by the end of the week, but I'll keep you posted. A rough storm forced me inside last night before I got too much farther along on the knives, but they are looking good.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Eric C wrote:Consider it pending then. I am HOPING to finish it by the end of the week, but I'll keep you posted. A rough storm forced me inside last night before I got too much farther along on the knives, but they are looking good.

I know what you mean, I'm getting rained out more often than I would like. :-(

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The seaxes are ready for handle slabs. I'll be working on that after work tomorrow. For anyone interested, the smaller of the two is still available.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so here are the completed pics of R.D.s knife. The other knife is now spoken for. My wife liked it so much, I couldn't sell it, so it's going into her kit.
Anyway, here are the pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/919ericc/Se ... 1160676898
http://picasaweb.google.com/919ericc/Se ... 6283686834

Hope you enjoy. There are more to come in the hopefully near future.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Love it! 8) This one will soon be on permanant display on my belt!

Thanks Eric!

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~