Sodhopper pattern option

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Sodhopper pattern option

Post by Eric C »

Hail Rangers,
So the other night I taped up my wife's leg . . . the memories. . . Oh, sorry. :oops: Anyway, I made a mold of my wife's leg. I cut it off of her, then cut it into a pattern. I laid it out on the leather and cut out two boots. I have the uppers sewed together and have worked my way down to attaching the sole. Boots should be done soon! Woohoo!!!
But I have stopped because I thought of something while I was getting ready to sew on the sole. As I have it printed up, on page 13 of the instructions that I have, it says to line up the marks in the arch and glue it together, working your way around. Once the glue is dry, carefully turn the boot inside out and sew it together. Then on the last page of the instructions, the guy says he has not figured out how to attach a sole to these yet.
So here's my idea. What if instead of turning the boot inside out to sew it, you leave it right-side-out and sew it together, leaving the seam on the outside. Then you could sew/glue a sole of some sort onto them. Any ideas, or other options?

P.S., This is the pattern that Stonedog offers.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Sodhopper pattern option

Post by Willrett »

I would think that his way is for looks and maybe to help hide the seam from water. I just glanced at the instructions and haven't started trying make my own yet. I think they would be fine your way.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks. I'm thinking of making them as per the instructions this time. After that, I'll think about trying my own thing. The pair I was making for my wife? Something happened when I cut them out or glued them up. They are too small for my wife. My 10 year old son's foot is almost as big as hers, so he'd get no wear out of them. So, that pair went to my 7 year old daughter. I wasn't planning on making her or the boy mocs yet as they will just outgrow them quickly. But I should have enough leather to get a pair each for the wife and son. Maybe there'll be enough for me to get a pair out of them too.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I know that feeling, I tried a pair of mocs one time and it was muck up by the numbers :oops: :cry: I'm certainly glad I wasnt in a survival situation.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Mmm. When you cut the pattern from the foot and prepare to trace it as a pattern, there are areas that need a bit of 'ease' and the form itself must be stretched pretty good to ensure the sizing is as it ought to be. Sodhoppers uses a flexible curve to get some of the parts down right for the pattern.

I'd like to say more but I agreed not to give the methods away when I purchased the course. There are certain spots where construction is counter-intuitive.

That being said, some trial and error work should sort it out for you, it just might take a bit.

Siani
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Erm, well, I sat down with the boots again last night and found that I misread the instructions. I had to pull the sole loose from the boot and glue it on the right way. Now the only problem my wife has is the length. These will fit my son the best now, which doesn't make my daughter very happy. :roll: But I told her I'll make a pair specifically for her. She's a little happier now.

As for the next pair, I'll make a new pattern for my wife then make the boot out of some extra leather so as not to waste any more of the good stuff. I think I need to add about an inch to the toe end of the sole and the toe of the boot. I hope I'm on the right path with this one.

Thanks for the input Siani.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

PICS please :)
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'll post when they are done. They won't be the best looking things on earth. But as long as they are functional and comfortable, then I'll be happy with them as they are my first pair from this pattern.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I'm sure when I get to make some they will be a disaster :lol: and will probably take a few attempts with cheap stuff first.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Well, I finally worked on the boots some more last night. After some manipulating, they will fit my son- for a while anyway. But I'm seriously unhappy with my results. I am attaching lacing loops. I'm not real fond of the way they are sewed on. I'm thinking of coming up with some sort of rivet or something that is decorative in order to assure that the loops don't pull out so easily.

By the way, my displeasure has nothing to do with the pattern itself. It has to do with my know-how. I think I will probably use straps and buckles on the next pair.

Any suggestions for the rivets or some other way to make sure the lacing loops are secure? I tried contact cement. Didn't work. Pics would be great.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Not really sure how the lacing loops are being put on but, if you put one side of the loop on the outside and one side on the inside (loop, upper,loop) it is very unlikely it will pull out. If your still worried do it the way I mentioned and then pop a rivet through all three layers for added ensurance. Make your loops at least a 1/2" wide.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, that would have made sense. That's what I get for trying to finish them in a hurry. No, I just sewed them to the outside of the boot. But now that the deadline I was trying to meet has passed, I think I'll work on the stitching, then pop some kind of decorative rivet through it.
Waugh23

Post by Waugh23 »

Really interesting post! i like that all information, i have never before this read this kind of information and it is looking like true and not looking like fake or any ideology. thanks for this.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Well, that's what you get here at MERF. No bullcrap, just the facts, naked on a bearskin rug for all to see.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg wrote:naked on a bearskin rug for all to see.

No, that's just Pete. If you haven't seen it, thank a mod. :P :lol:

Just kidding y'all.