Seax Review.

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

Re: Seax Review.

Post by mcapanelli »

Wow, this got out of hand fast. Anyway what does a knife like that run Eric? Could you make a longer blade? It's a fine looking knife and would make an interesting every day utility knife. Good work brother!!
Winter is coming
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

"Could you make a longer blade?"

Mike, you stole my thought 8) As soon as my sword comission is paid out I was thinking seriously about comissioning Eric to make a larger version of wolfs claw.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:"Could you make a longer blade?"

Mike, you stole my thought 8) As soon as my sword comission is paid out I was thinking seriously about comissioning Eric to make a larger version of wolfs claw.
That's my boat too R D. I just picked up a XII from Michael Pikula and am in the process of starting a commission with him. As soon as that's done I'd like a nice large camp knife. Something that'll hack meat, saplings, and orcs if need be. Sort of a middle earth machete.
Winter is coming
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Mr. Pikula does some excellent work, the swords, seax and spearheads I've seen from him are awesome, alas! I've only seen them in pictures.

Mike, when you have time and if your inclined. Would you reveiw that XII? I would love to hear your thoughts on your new sword as well as your upcoming commission, please share 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:Mr. Pikula does some excellent work, the swords, seax and spearheads I've seen from him are awesome, alas! I've only seen them in pictures.

Mike, when you have time and if your inclined. Would you reveiw that XII? I would love to hear your thoughts on your new sword as well as your upcoming commission, please share 8)
I'd love too as soon as I get it and cut with it. I'm not great with finding words to describe things of this nature so you'll have to bear with me as I'll do my best. If anyone is ever in my neck of the woods your always welcome to swing by and try it for yourself. As for the commission, it's going to be XIV.5 on page 120 of records. We're going to do the etching and all. Mr Oakeshott called it "Undoubtedly on of the finest-i.e. the most handsome- medieval swords to survive". That's enough for me. The trick is to not make it a knock-off of the Solingen, a sword I've already owned from Albion. There are differences between the one we're copying (Tower of London) and the Solingen (Deutsches Klingenmusem, in Solingen, Germany) and the plan is to accentuate those differences. Their definitely related as they share the same cross, pommel, and general blade shape. I'd prefer it to retain the stiffness and swelling at the forte of the blade, but come to a more acute point for the thrust, as XIV.5 seems to do. I think, although with a very limited knowledge, that tapering it that way would make it much more thrust friendly and put it squarely in the XIV type. Anyway as you can tell I'm a little excited! I shold have pictures of the XII Michael sent me I'll post and I'll take more as soon as she get's here. Looks like I'll have to start a new thread.
Winter is coming
jackadmin
Athel Dunedain

Post by jackadmin »

OK, I'm here a day late and a silver ha'penny short, but I'm locking this topic for a day to let people cool off.

I'd really hate for this Forum's character to change, I've taken great pride in the fact that the problems I've had to deal with have been from hackers outside our little community and not from fighting inside. Remember we are here to look at a fantasy world with a reenactor's eyes. Whimsy and rigor have to go hand in hand.
jackadmin
Athel Dunedain

Post by jackadmin »

Unlocking.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

mcapanelli wrote:Wow, this got out of hand fast. Anyway what does a knife like that run Eric? Could you make a longer blade? It's a fine looking knife and would make an interesting every day utility knife. Good work brother!!
R.D.Metcalf wrote:"Could you make a longer blade?"

A challenge! I need a challenge. :twisted: I am working on a blade at the present with an overall length of 19". It would be an excellent chopper. But it's made from 3/16" saw blade steel. It's a good flexible steel when properly heat treated, but I feel like the longer blades should be made from something in the 1/4" thick range. I'm thinking somthing like 1095 or 5160. What do you think? I am also thinking of having it professionally heat treated. If I get enough blades together to take them all in at once, then that cost can be dispersed among them all. Because all of this is experimental, I can probably cut you guys a deal. Let me get some pics up of the two longer blades I'm working on. If you see anything there that you like, let me know if it will fit the bill, or if you'd like something else.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, here goes:
http://picasaweb.google.com/919ericc/Tw ... InTheWorks#

I was wrong about the bigger knife. The big one is a hair under 20 inches at present. It will lose some of that length when I finish the end of the tang and peen it for an end cap. Blade length at present is 14 3/8". Width is 2 1/16" just in front of the ricasso. Some of these measurements will change as I work on the knife.

The smaller knife is 15 5/8" oal. The blade is 10". 1 1/2" wide at widest point. The filework in the second pic is my first serious attempt at filework. It is on this knife.

I like the shape that both of these knives are taking. I don't know if I will sell the larger one, but I could be persuaded to make another large blade like it.

So as not to further hijack this thread, I'll post anything else about these knives in the Sale forum in my thread there if there is enough interest in them.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

lookin good so far
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

They look nice man. Can't wait to see 'em finished.
Winter is coming
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Almost finished with the sheath for my seax. I still have to forge the suspension ring and a small clip to rivet to the small flange on the sheath, I also still have to burn a design and dye it. so its still a work in progress but should be done tomorrow night. But heres some pics of what I've got done so far. More pics to come.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1429/seaxsheath1.jpg

heres another one showing the countours. Oh yeah and the knotwork tat on my wrist is from a Danish monument in Yorkshire.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9162 ... eathe2.jpg

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

RD, that's looking good. Can't wait to see a finished product. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I will finish the sheath for my latest hunter. Frankly, I don't like it. I'll never take another commission if I don't like the design the customer wants.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thanks Eric, finishing the embellishments is going to be tedious, but worth it....I hope :lol: Ol' wolf claw is a fine knife I hope the sheath will do her justice.

What is it about the hunter you dont like?

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The guy insists that it be black, so it doesn't reflect light and scare off the elk he's taking a trip to hunt. He also insists that it have very little edge bevel because elk is a hearty animal. So I've blackened the knife- which I think looks pretty cool. I like the overall shape and generally the looks of it. But I can't stand the edge bevel. It is only a half inch up from the edge. I feel like it is not going to get keen enough to be sharp like the guy wants it and I told him so. I guess I should shut up and accept it. After all, it did slice 1/4" thick leather for me, which incidentally is the same test I gave "Wolf Claw." I'll post pics, but I have not felt good about this knife from the beginning and I think my craftsmanship shows it.