Interesting belts

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

User avatar
caedmon
Balku'npâ
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Palmer Alaska

Interesting belts

Postby caedmon » Fri May 25, 2018 12:39 am

Don't know the source.


Image
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Boater Wesman ( Balku'npâ Adúnerama ) bronze founder living in Archet, Breelander of mixed dúnedain descent. c. 3017
User avatar
Iodo
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm
Location: North west england UK

Re: Interesting belts

Postby Iodo » Fri May 25, 2018 5:52 am

That's different, it almost looks like it's designed to be used as a weapon with the splin brass weighted ends?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
User avatar
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: Up the Greenway; Southern Indiana

Re: Interesting belts

Postby Greg » Fri May 25, 2018 3:22 pm

That IS interesting. And, to my mind, vaguely rohirric.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
User avatar
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 am
Location: in the Angle; New England

Re: Interesting belts

Postby Elleth » Fri May 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Fascinating... yeah, my first guess was c. 1st c. Germanic, though there's lots of what looks like Roman influence in the buckle frame of "B" - likewise the metallic ends of "C" remind me of the apron of a Roman soldier's belt.

I think in a M.E. context I'd be inclined to make them Dunlendish - they've got that "Euro Barbarian" look to 'em. :)
Though I could definitely see an argument for Rohirric or even early early Gondorian.

Now I'm curious where these are from!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
User avatar
caedmon
Balku'npâ
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Palmer Alaska

Re: Interesting belts

Postby caedmon » Fri May 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Elleth wrote:Fascinating... yeah, my first guess was c. 1st c. Germanic, though there's lots of what looks like Roman influence in the buckle frame of "B" - likewise the metallic ends of "C" remind me of the apron of a Roman soldier's belt.

I think in a M.E. context I'd be inclined to make them Dunlendish - they've got that "Euro Barbarian" look to 'em. :)
Though I could definitely see an argument for Rohirric or even early early Gondorian.

Now I'm curious where these are from!


Ok, looked at it hard again, guessing it's German, and the top line is something like "Germanic belts from the beginning of the Roman Imperial era".
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Boater Wesman ( Balku'npâ Adúnerama ) bronze founder living in Archet, Breelander of mixed dúnedain descent. c. 3017
User avatar
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 am
Location: in the Angle; New England

Re: Interesting belts

Postby Elleth » Tue May 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Derp. What am I thinking?
There you go, actually *reading* things. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
User avatar
caedmon
Balku'npâ
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:30 am
Location: Palmer Alaska

Re: Interesting belts

Postby caedmon » Tue May 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Elleth wrote:Derp. What am I thinking?
There you go, actually *reading* things. :mrgreen:


Yeah, I didn't either when I posted it. I simple confirmed, "Yup, not English, I must not understand it!"
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Boater Wesman ( Balku'npâ Adúnerama ) bronze founder living in Archet, Breelander of mixed dúnedain descent. c. 3017
User avatar
Udwin
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 pm
Location: banks of the great River, Kaintuckiana

Re: Interesting belts

Postby Udwin » Wed May 30, 2018 1:35 am

caedmon wrote:Ok, looked at it hard again, guessing it's German, and the top line is something like "Germanic belts from the beginning of the Roman Imperial era".


Yup. I forgot how much I like translating German, it's been too long...literally: "German-ish girdles from the Beginning of the Roman-ish Caesar-time"

Interesting designs, indeed. Decorated forked tongues as easy way to 'dress up' one's leather goods.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Boffin, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA

Return to “Soft Kit”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests