More on Amazon's LOTHR Series

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

More on Amazon's LOTHR Series

Post by Harper »

---

It looks like Amazon is going to be focusing on the Rangers of the North:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... eries.html
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: More on Amazon's LOTHR Series

Post by Iodo »

Looks like it might be good ? thanks for the link :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Iodo wrote:Looks like it might be good ? thanks for the link :P
Peter Jackson is now in talks with Amazon, possibly to be a producer of some sort- which would mean that Weta would likely do a lot of the design of sets, costumes, etc. , and the series would be consistent with the look of the films.

If it turns out that this really does focus on the Rangers before "The Hobbit," we need to get ready for a bunch of fans who have never read the books and have only a superficial understanding of the material. I'm on a couple of Tolkien FB pages, and there's such a clear division between 'book' fans and 'movie' fans.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Straelbora wrote: Peter Jackson is now in talks with Amazon, possibly to be a producer of some sort- which would mean that Weta would likely do a lot of the design of sets, costumes, etc. , and the series would be consistent with the look of the films.

If it turns out that this really does focus on the Rangers before "The Hobbit," we need to get ready for a bunch of fans who have never read the books and have only a superficial understanding of the material. I'm on a couple of Tolkien FB pages, and there's such a clear division between 'book' fans and 'movie' fans.
I think the possibility of seeing more WETA design is exciting, and if handled correctly I think WETA influences can be good, however, the other thing I've found is that if WETA is the only influence, getting even close to a functional kit is very hard (I guess that's a lesson that anyone who try's will just have to learn) The book stuff is so much more grounded in reality and practicality :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I confess that's the first thing I've heard that doesn't bode utter catastrophe... especially if they can get Lee and Howe back onboard and reverse away from the "World of Warcraft" direction their designers started veering off into in the later Hobbit designs.

While I'm not at all optimistic the series will be even watchable, a new corpus of Lee and Howe concept art would be quite good to see.

Regarding the book/movie fan distinction. Obviously "de gustibus" and all: generally I only get bugged when I see Middle-earth retconned into a generic ren-faire fantasy setting like all the ones it inspired.

Enjoy filet mignon - great! Enjoy McDonald's - great!
.... but please don't throw the mignon in a blender, slather it with sugar-ketchup, serve it up on a bun and tell me it's still the same thing.

:/
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.