pics of weekend trek

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jerome W.249

pics of weekend trek

Post by Jerome W.249 »

well met fellow rangers
my son (duncan.w94)and i made a trip to the woods for the weekend to test out our ranger gear .the weather was chilly and rainywith night time temps near 40 degrees .so for the trip we each had on 2 shirts ,wool weskits,and watch cloaks.we brought our one pole shelter to keep the rain off.we stayed warm and dry despite the weather .
all in all awsome time in the woods as rangers.http://picasaweb.google.com/jeromew.249/Ranger#
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: pics of weekend trek

Post by Mirimaran »

It looks like you did have an awesome time! Well done! It must be great to share that experience with your son. Take more pics next time you go out!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Glad to hear you've been out! Keep at it! Can you tell us a bit about what you did on your trip? What'd you eat? How'd the "hunt" go (as pictured)?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

great pics looks like a fun time.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

id love some more info on those shelters youve got there.

is is as simpel as it looks or is the canvas cut a certain way? how do they handle rain? snow?

i just got my oil coth up and running and i need shelter ideas.
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Jerome W.249

Post by Jerome W.249 »

hail frothgar
the tarp is just a 10 x 10 painters drop cloth from lowes cost about 10 bucks .
all you have to do is stake down 2 corners,directly across from the stakes go to the middle
of the other side place your 6ft pole ,i use either my spear or walking staff tie tarp around top of pole.
take a peice of rope tie to top of pole pull in opposite direction of other stakes and stake to ground. from the back should look like a triangle . the picture i took has one of the sides thrown up . one of the nights we were camping it was very windy and rainy but we stayed dry . have not tried in the snow yet.
hope this helps if you have any more questions i will do what i can to answer them .
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

Jerome,

i think i get what your saying. do you secure the other ends down at all? to keep them from flapping about in the wind. do you carve new stakes each trek or do you carry stakes?

if its not too much trouble, next chance you get could you take a few photos of your shelter. to give me a better grasp of how its put to gether and the general size of the thing. no rush or pressure. i wont have good internet access until oct 23rd anyway.

thanks
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb