The Picnic Roll – middle earth carry in less than 10 minutes

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

User avatar
Iodo
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm
Location: North west england UK

The Picnic Roll – middle earth carry in less than 10 minutes

Postby Iodo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:56 am

On my last trip in kit I wanted to take supplies with me and wear my Bocksten cloak, but I only wanted to bring enough supplies for an afternoon on the trail. Up until now I've used a rucksack, which is difficult to make work with a cloak.

Here's what I did:

Step 1:

Cut a small piece of oilcloth canvas tarpaulin, the thicker and stiffer the better, so it's just big enough to rap up what you want to bring, I can fit a few sandwiches in as well:

Image


Step 2:

Fold over the edges and roll up the stuff while trapping a continuous strap of some kind in the roll, then tie it up with an old belt, just like making a bed roll. I first wrapped anything I want to keep clean in a scrap of linen (just in case the oilcloth is dirty – not a problem if you use a new tarpaulin), it also stops the cup rattling:

Image


Finished result:

Image

I used it here and it was easy to pack up, fully waterproof, small, light and when you unroll it you have everything you need and something dry to sit on to have lunch under your makeshift cloak shelter :mrgreen: the only problem was having to stop to access my water bottle

I thought it worked so well for someone like me, who doesn't want to do over-nights or carry the weight of a full size tarp, that (at some point) I'm going to make some more in-world carry straps for this
Last edited by Iodo on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
User avatar
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê
Posts: 1902
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 am
Location: in the Angle; New England

Re: The Picnic Roll – middle earth carry in less than 10 minutes

Postby Elleth » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:31 pm

I had wondered what that thing was! Neat!


.... I do imagine most folk carried their burdens in impromptu fashion like this, at least the settled folk.
(Though Hobbits might need them a tad larger to fit enough yums! :) )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
User avatar
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb
Posts: 3871
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: Eriador; Central Indiana

Re: The Picnic Roll – middle earth carry in less than 10 minutes

Postby Greg » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Looks great! Quick and efficient!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
User avatar
Iodo
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm
Location: North west england UK

Re: The Picnic Roll – middle earth carry in less than 10 minutes

Postby Iodo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Thanks :P

Elleth wrote:.... I do imagine most folk carried their burdens in impromptu fashion like this, at least the settled folk.
(Though Hobbits might need them a tad larger to fit enough yums! :) )

And if you want more space, just cut the tarp a bit bigger :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
User avatar
Ringulf
Naugothrain
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Re: The Picnic Roll – middle earth carry in less than 10 minutes

Postby Ringulf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Iodo wrote:On my last trip in kit I wanted to take supplies with me and wear my Bocksten cloak, but I only wanted to bring enough supplies for an afternoon on the trail. Up until now I've used a rucksack, which is difficult to make work with a cloak.

Here's what I did:

Step 1:

Cut a small piece of oilcloth canvas tarpaulin, the thicker and stiffer the better, so it's just big enough to rap up what you want to bring, I can fit a few sandwiches in as well:

Image


Step 2:the Dwarven mindset and conditioning to care for his or her carried items

Fold over the edges and roll up the stuff while trapping a continuous strap of some kind in the roll, then tie it up with an old belt, just like making a bed roll. I first wrapped anything I want to keep clean in a scrap of linen (just in case the oilcloth is dirty – not a problem if you use a new tarpaulin), it also stops the cup rattling:

Image


Finished result:

Image

I used it here and it was easy to pack up, fully waterproof, small, light and when you unroll it you have everything you need and something dry to sit on to have lunch under your makeshift cloak shelter :mrgreen: the only problem was having to stop to access my water bottle

I thought it worked so well for someone like me, who doesn't want to do over-nights or carry the weight of a full size tarp, that (at some point) I'm going to make some more in-world carry straps for this

-----

I wasn't sure which board to post this in (between 'getting started' and 'tutorials') If it needs moving, feel free :P

Great idea! It would be very much part of the Dwarven "mindset" or conditioning, to care for important items taken on the road in this way. This would be what could have been used to achieve the desired results until one could fashion or procure something more permanent...like a portmanteau perhaps? Well done!
A heartening sight by Day or Night, Dwarven warriors bold! To add their Might to any Fight, Precious more than Gold! A Dwarven friend is to the end, Never shall they fail! Their word does not bend, wherever they wend,
through Cavern, Hill or Dale!"
User avatar
Iodo
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 589
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm
Location: North west england UK

Re: The Picnic Roll – middle earth carry in less than 10 minutes

Postby Iodo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:11 pm

Ringulf wrote:Great idea! It would be very much part of the Dwarven "mindset" or conditioning, to care for important items taken on the road in this way. This would be what could have been used to achieve the desired results until one could fashion or procure something more permanent...like a portmanteau perhaps? Well done!

Thanks, I just can't believe I didn't think of it sooner :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
User avatar
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 494
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:31 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: The Picnic Roll – middle earth carry in less than 10 minutes

Postby Ursus » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Iodo wrote:
Ringulf wrote:Great idea! It would be very much part of the Dwarven "mindset" or conditioning, to care for important items taken on the road in this way. This would be what could have been used to achieve the desired results until one could fashion or procure something more permanent...like a portmanteau perhaps? Well done!

Thanks, I just can't believe I didn't think of it sooner :P


Believe me this is not the last time you will say this in regards to our hobby. Looks great though, very efficient!
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”

Return to “Getting Started”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests