Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

User avatar
Iodo
Haeropada
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm
Location: North west england UK

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Postby Iodo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:48 pm

TaylorSteiner wrote:Looks great!

Thank you :P

TaylorSteiner wrote:What grit of stone is that?

the honest answer is that I don't know, I don't even know what kind of stone it is, the guy I bought it from said that he bought the stones in bulk, didn't know a lot about them and that all he did was attach them to wood to sell at the ren-fair. It will sharpen a blade to an acceptable edge for use as a tool at camp but it won't give an edge good enough for the chip-carving knife so I think I'll have to find some other grades

I have quite a lot of small stones for sharpening lathe toots, chisels etc.. the problem is they've all been used with oil and can't be used with water, meaning I'd have to include oil in the tool kit, that said, I might end up doing this anyway for blade maintenance?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
User avatar
TaylorSteiner
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 pm
Location: Great Falls Montana
Contact:

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Postby TaylorSteiner » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:21 pm

Gotchya. So after you've used oil on a stone you can't switch back to water? Good to know : )
Frodo lives!
User avatar
Iodo
Haeropada
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm
Location: North west england UK

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Postby Iodo » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:04 pm

TaylorSteiner wrote:Gotchya. So after you've used oil on a stone you can't switch back to water? Good to know : )

yep, if you soak a stone in water it drys out leaving no residue, once you soak the stone in oil you can't ever get enough of the oil out for the stone to no-longer resist water (I've tried)

most people sharpen with oil because it's a better lubricant and helps prevent the stone from loosing it's flat surface, for this reason any second-hand stone will have already been used with oil (that's all of mine). Most stones cut slightly faster with water than with oil and become loaded slower but the only real reason to use water is if you may need to use it somewhere where you don't have oil, If I want some different grades I'll have to buy new stones to use with water and even then it's not completely safe, some India stones come pre-soaked in oil. or I just decide to carry oil :?:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
User avatar
TaylorSteiner
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 pm
Location: Great Falls Montana
Contact:

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Postby TaylorSteiner » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 pm

Wow cool
Frodo lives!
User avatar
Iodo
Haeropada
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm
Location: North west england UK

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Postby Iodo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:41 am

TaylorSteiner wrote:Wow cool

Thanks :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
User avatar
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:20 am

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Postby Peter Remling » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:28 pm

If you are using a sharpening stone in the field, my advice is to pack a new or non-oiled stone. For simple touch ups I use a hard Arkansas with no lube (either water/saliva or oil). Oil or water provides lubricating properties but this will have an adverse effect on how fast you can sharpen your blade. Sharpening occurs by shaving minute bits of steel off your edge. One stroke on one side, then one stroke on the other. Lubing the stone decreases the amount of resistance and lessens the amount of steel removal, thus it takes longer to sharpen your blade. For field touchup, use your stone dry and then strop it on the suede side of a belt or strap. You will notice dark streaks of metal fillings on your stone, evidence on how much steel was removed. Because the stone is dry you simply wipe the filling off on your pants leg. No oil no staining and no clogging !

I do use an oiled bigger stone for fine work in the house.
User avatar
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:54 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Postby SierraStrider » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:33 pm

Iodo wrote:
TaylorSteiner wrote:What grit of stone is that?

the honest answer is that I don't know, I don't even know what kind of stone it is


By the color, I'd guess silicon carbide, but it could just as easily be aluminum oxide. Not strictly 'natural', but perhaps fitting for a dwarf, since they're essentially amalgamated gemstone dust.
User avatar
Iodo
Haeropada
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm
Location: North west england UK

Re: Starting to Assemble a Dwarven Toolkit

Postby Iodo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:25 am

Peter Remling wrote:If you are using a sharpening stone in the field, my advice is to pack a new or non-oiled stone. For simple touch ups I use a hard Arkansas with no lube (either water/saliva or oil). Oil or water provides lubricating properties but this will have an adverse effect on how fast you can sharpen your blade. Sharpening occurs by shaving minute bits of steel off your edge. One stroke on one side, then one stroke on the other. Lubing the stone decreases the amount of resistance and lessens the amount of steel removal, thus it takes longer to sharpen your blade. For field touchup, use your stone dry and then strop it on the suede side of a belt or strap. You will notice dark streaks of metal fillings on your stone, evidence on how much steel was removed. Because the stone is dry you simply wipe the filling off on your pants leg. No oil no staining and no clogging !

I do use an oiled bigger stone for fine work in the house.

using it dry, nice tip, thank you :P

SierraStrider wrote:By the color, I'd guess silicon carbide, but it could just as easily be aluminum oxide. Not strictly 'natural', but perhaps fitting for a dwarf, since they're essentially amalgamated gemstone dust.

it's definitely a man made stone, from comparing it to my others I think it's silicon carbide but I cant be sure because there discolored with oil
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.

Return to “Dwarven Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests