Outfitting the Tropical Ranger

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

nyyarg

Outfitting the Tropical Ranger

Post by nyyarg »

I stumbled across this site a few months ago and the concept immediately appealed to me on several levels. I have been contemplating getting a kit together, but I feel that my geographic location is an odd place for the traditionally outfitted Ranger. I live in Hawaii on the island of Oahu, in Honolulu. The most [over]populated island in Hawaii is not the ideal place for a ranger, but thankfully the unwashed masses all head for the oceans and there is a fair amount of untouched wilderness in the mountains. (for comparison, there are over a hundred dedicated surf shops on Oahu, but the closest thing we have to an REI or EMS is the small camping section at Sports Authority)

So what does a Ranger need in a tropical environment? I suppose that one could look at the Ranger archetype and argue that, historically speaking, people who filled a ranger-like role in tropical environments typically went around with naught but a spear and a loincloth. Most of the time (during the day at least) that would probably be quite comfortable, I often hike wearing nothing but surf shorts and sandals. But, as you can imagine, encountering people while dressed only in a loincloth would be embarrassing, at least to me, and besides, I wish to emulate Aragorn not Tarzan. I would like to put together a kit that clearly says "ranger" but is devoid of wool cloaks and heavy boots, but that could still be the foundation for a more traditional Ranger should I ever move back to my native New England. I would also like to make as much of my kit as possible, only buying what is clearly beyond my ability to make.

So here is a list of the things I think I need or want. Let me know if you see anything unreasonable, pointless or forgotten.

Clothing

I am not sure yet what fabric is best to use for each garment, I am leaning towards linen, hemp or maybe silk. Avoiding cotton, wool and synthetics like the plague.
Undergarment: Loincloth or breech-cloth (Fundoshi?) - something suitable for swimwear in instances where skinny-dipping is inappropriate. I suspect a tropical ranger finds himself in the water more than most.
Trousers: Lightweight fabric, but otherwise typical...Shorts would be great but I can't imagine that looking right
Tunic: I am thinking a sleeveless tunic
Footwear: Not sure here, I would like to avoid anything stiff, heavy or thick soled. Some sort of soft-soled boot perhaps? Barefoot? (I could be a hobbit ranger!)
Cloak (maybe Poncho): mostly for rain protection, blanket at night...Not sure about fabric, Leather maybe?

Gear

Leather Backpack: While searching online I came across the Saddleback Leather Company's backpack- it is both awesome and awesomely expensive. I am *almost* able to justify the expense since, unlike most ranger gear, I could use it almost daily, and it would probably be the last backpack I ever need to buy. But, did I mention it is expensive? Egad!
Flint and steel
Leather Water Skin
Candle(s)
Cooking gear
30' Rope: strong but of natural fibers...silk?
Light blanket: It can actually get cold at night (by cold I mean 60° F)
Food Satchel
Flute: I have a Singingtree flute I had custom made for hiking, but I am always looking for a good reason to buy another.
Pipe and Tobacco: I don't smoke and never have...yet some part of me has always wanted to smoke a pipe...
Small modern survival/first aid kit: seems like a good idea...just in case

Weapons and Armor

Sword: AT1509. I have this sword but I need to make a new scabbard and I would like to make new fittings for it. Unfortunately, what little sword training I have is with curved, single edged Asian swords; So my AT1509, by all accounts a superb European style blade, feels cumbersome and awkward to me. I may switch to a curved "elven" style blade down the road but there are few if any that are made for actual use. Not that I mind having an excuse to get a custom Fableblade!
Bow: A shortbow, if any. I have yet to find a maker of quality shortbows. Right now I am leaning towards a sling, which is infinitely more portable. A longbow doesn't seem like a good idea to me as I already have a longsword and multiple longthings is too cumbersome.
Knife: Here I may diverge from the ranger norm. As I may find myself in genuine survival situations, I would like to have a top of the line, modern survival knife. I am currently leaning towards a Ranger RD6 (only now do I notice the appropriateness of the name)...I can always claim it is an enchanted orc dirk.
Armor: Leather bracers and maybe a Ringmesh vest (a fair substitute for mithril elven mail, I think)
Other: I am thinking a good tomahawk could be quite useful, and possibly an option where I cannot or don't wish to carry my sword

I know I left out some things, a belt, for instance, but you get the idea. Let me know what you think. Any recommendations for websites or books that can help with clothing patterns or basic leather-working would be most welcome.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Outfitting the Tropical Ranger

Post by Willrett »

First I will start by saying welcome.

I will add some hopefully helpful info as soon as I get a moment.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome!

How about a hat, with both sun and rain, I think it would be a good appropriation.

I'd stay away from leather clothing and cloaks, too hot and too heavy even dry and a damn sight heavier wet. Leather armor might be a decent choice. As far as footwear sandals would work or something like this:
http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-742-med ... boots.aspx

You could reinforce the ankle for more support forming an early hiking boot.

Scadians use what is commonly called fighter's pants, a simple drawstring pants, slightly baggy for freedom of movement. There are made in a variety of materials, depending on season and climate. They might be perfect for treking on the islands. BTW Yeah, we're jealous :lol:

For a cloak, tarp, temp shelter you might try canvas. It can be treated (even historically) and will make a great all purpose addition.

There are some threads here on canvas waterproofing, material selection and patterns, just check them out with the search function.

That's all I have right now, talk to you soon.

Old Island Ranger saying "Beware the volcano!"
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

one thing ive heard is that most cultures that had blowguns as a weapon also had a devise called a fire piston, its some kind of synergistic(word?) technology crossover. its an item that uses a tiny bit of tinder and air pressure to get an ember. as far as i know the original hawaiians had blow guns (though i could be wrong). and if so you can justify yourself a fire piston.

i like the idea of a fire piston because it cuts out the intermediate step of using charcloth. but i cant justify it for my culture or character.

do a search for "fire piston" youll find plenty.

other than that ive heard good things about linen, for keeping cool.

Frothgar
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
nyyarg

Post by nyyarg »

Thank you for your kind welcomes! I was not expecting so many quick responses on what I thought was a quiet forum.

A Hat! Indeed, I am more likely to wear a hat than a shirt when I hike, but I have found little to my liking in medieval head wear. I would want something with a good brim all the way around, I have fair skin and close cropped blond hair that offers little in the way of sun protection. Perhaps I can find a renaissance era hat that would fit be ranger-y enough...I would just have to forgo all the feathers.

Those MRL boots look pretty good, although I would prefer to avoid the rubber sole. They are not available in my size anyway. Ankle support is not an issue to me; I am of the persuasion that ankle support leads to weak ankles, which in turn leads to the need for ankle support. I have done a couple 300ish mile hikes in low-cut trail shoes with no problems. Shoes fall into the category of something I will buy rather than make; are there any vendors of high quality medieval footwear?

A waterproof canvas something or other is definitely in order for night and rainy days. I have always loved the versatility of my old army poncho, can a cloak design be just as versatile?

Yesterday I had never heard of a fire piston. Today I must have one. Funny how things change like that. Out of curiosity, does Tolkien ever describe how anybody in Middle Earth starts a fire? I bet elves used fire pistons...a bit of elvish magic.

I apologize for posting this in the middle of November. It was not my intention to stir up envy. If it is any consolation, it did rain a bit today, and the sunset was not particularly spectacular. :D
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

nyyarg wrote: I apologize for posting this in the middle of November. It was not my intention to stir up envy. If it is any consolation, it did rain a bit today, and the sunset was not particularly spectacular. :D
You're going to fit in just fine! :lol:

Yes there are several companies that produce better and more historic footwear I just used MRL as a stylistic example.
http://www.revivalclothing.com/index.as ... ategory=24

I never tried them, but they get very favorable reviews from HEMA and ARMA folkes.

Another good choice are some or the custom moccasin people. I have a pair of custom high mocs, but low mocs might be better for your neck of the woods.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I would think a short watchman's cloak made of linen or silk. As far as bows www.darkknightarmoury.com they have a large selection of bows and they have a couple short bows with only 20 inch draw but good weights. I do like the sling idea and have been thinking about making one.

For pants try knee breeches or maybe hakama pants.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hail and well met Nyyarg. It is good to see a new member who isn't a bot! We call; them orcs here, and we hates them.
Anyway, a word on boots. I've made one pair and am finishing another pair, hopefully soon. If you are looking for something with a good fit that is right the first time, then yeah, you'll do well to go to one of the pros. But as for me, I'm hard-headed. . . and broke. :roll: So I'll keep plugging along until I've made a good pair or frustrated myself trying.
Glad to have you aboard. Make yourself at home and please share any experience you gain.

A note to the other rangers: Weren't we planniing a location for a ranger-moot? (Hint-hint) :P
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eric C wrote:
A note to the other rangers: Weren't we planniing a location for a ranger-moot? (Hint-hint) :P
Yeah someplace we could try out those pork, pinapple and coconut recipes wasn't it?
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Peter Remling wrote:
Eric C wrote:
Yeah someplace we could try out those pork, pinapple and coconut recipes wasn't it?

That's what I remember.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
nyyarg

Post by nyyarg »

Hmmm. Wild Boar- check. Wild Coconuts- check. Pineapples- Can't say I've ever found any wild pineapples...but I have found trails littered with thousands of wild guavas for miles. We may have to subsitute guava for pineapple, but other than that we are on track for a Ranger-Luau!
Peter Remling wrote: Another good choice are some of the custom moccasin people. I have a pair of custom high mocs, but low mocs might be better for your neck of the woods.
Do you have a recommendation for custom moccasin makers? The first thing that popped up when I googled "custom moccasins" was Sodhopper.com and I find myself rather enamoured by their Stealth trackers. Sadly they are more than twice (nearly thrice) what I have ever spent on a pair of shoes before. Anyone think they are worth it?
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I would love a pair but the price is a bit much for me. If you look at some a the boot topics we have you can find some other company's and pics as well as some reviews.
Panday
Wanderer

Post by Panday »

Tunic: I am thinking a sleeveless tunic
The easiest way to camouflage your arms is to have sleeves. That's why, when I was in the Army, we used to laugh about Schwarzenegger's muscle shirt in "The Predator" and Stallone going shirtless in "Rambo".

Remember that the Viet Cong gave us fits while wearing black pajamas.

Have you considered spears, hatchets, or some kind of machete for your kit?
"The world is grown so bad, that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch."
-Shakespeare, Richard III
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

"The easiest way to camouflage your arms is to have sleeves. That's why, when I was in the Army, we used to laugh about Schwarzenegger's muscle shirt in "The Predator" and Stallone going shirtless in "Rambo".

Completely OT, but I've never understood how its became popular belief that a warrior is supposed to look like that. :shock: I've looked at these hollywood images and compared these hulking gym rats to my uncles pics from Vietnam, and my granpas from WWII these guys for the most part wouldnt have weighed 160 pds soaking wet, let alone 260 + pds as portrayed by the films :lol:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

Barbarian Camoflage.

Just Saying...
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb