Outfitting the Tropical Ranger

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Blackwarden

Re: Outfitting the Tropical Ranger

Post by Blackwarden »

As another new member with only one post to my name, I feel quite silly by saying "welcome" but I'll do it anyhow.

I live in the Florida Keys and while not as exotic as Hawaii, it is still very tropical. I have two choices when it comes to rangering - 1) I could stay inside 9 months (until it cools off a bit in Dec - Feb) of the year and wish that I lived in the mountains or 2) I can get out and enjoy the weather even though it's incredibly hot and humid most of the year. Option two...while sticky and uncomfortable, is the only one for me. To make the conditions a bit more comfortable, I've had to customize my dry season/winter/travel ranger gear into something a bit more appropriate for tropical conditions. Here are some of the tips I've found to work.

A hat is a must. Traditional SCA type hats however are a Must-Not. The heavy felt is simply too tight a weave and does not breath very well in humid conditions. I've purchased a hat made out of palm fronds and changed it around a bit to look the part. Remember that a ranger would have used resources available locally when trading/etc... was not available. The best part about a palm frond hat....it is very breathable and is somewhat waterproof against tropical downpours.

As far as garb goes, linen is the best in my humble opinion. It's light, breaths well, and dries fairly quickly. It's also easy to tailor into a simple tunic and trousers. Another quick tip on the cut....make them as loose fitting as possible except in the lower legs. In doing so, the upper areas get plenty of air flow while the loose material is tapered below the knee to keep the snags to a minimum. Finally, long sleeves and long pants are a must. I've never been to Hawaii, but if your tropics are like mine then any open skin is likely to be covered by mosquitoes and other nasty little critters.

Boots: This is one area I'm sure I could improve on for tropical settings but the ones I have do quite well. Some type of hemp sandal would probably be appropriate for the wet/muddy type areas typically found in tropical areas. But instead, I wear a pair of boots purchased from a company called SCA Boots. The soles are very comfortable for long treks but there is not much ankle support. What I most like about them for our area is that they are tall enough to keep out the nasty bugs, spiders, and scorpions that inhabit the tropics.

I have a few great backpacks to use when it's cool or I get to travel to the wilds north of here, but when it's hot, a backpack becomes quite uncomfortable. It covers a good portion of your back and reduces air flow. Instead, you may want to consider a sling pack or haversack. They are easy to make and usually hang in an area that doesn't restrict air movement. If I have lots to carry, I'll wear two of them and cross them over opposite shoulders.

A quick tangent -- there is little, if any, documentation of backpacks being used in the historical past (Dark/Middle Ages). Even so, to me a good backpack really sets off a ranger outfit. It's difficult for me to leave it at home when I trek in the warmer months but the difference in in heat comfort is dramatic.

Weapons: In addition to several collectible swords, I have two good functional ranger swords. Once again though, when I trek in the tropical wilds, I usually leave those at home as well. Even the one-hander is too long to egress quickly through tropical vegetation. I have a seax that I stow horizontally on my belt that is quite useful in such a scenario. I'm still looking for a machete type weapon that looks historical and is more practical for chopping through the tropics.

I have a fiberglass bow that stands about 4' tall when unstrung. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the density of the area. I'd like to get a wooden version but I'm not sure how often I'd use it here. Also, when using a bow, one has to consider line of sight to the target. A bow become quite useless in dense tropical foliage and may become more of a burden than a useful tool.

I always take my spear. I've had to cut it down from a traditional size however to get it through the foliage. In a tropical setting, a spear becomes much more than just a weapon. I use it to test the depth of water basins, to knock down coconuts, to move aside massive spider webs, etc.. I would say it is the most useful piece of gear I carry.

Pardon me for my rambling. I only had a few minutes available before lunch to reply. I'll try to clean up the post a bit later tonight. I do hope some of my experiences in the tropics can help you out with your decisions. On

One final tip: Though I'd love to dress the part and look like the traditional ranger when I'm "playing" here in the Keys, it's simply not practical due to the extreme heat and humidity. Adapt your gear to suit your environment and you'll have more fun out there. Save the traditional ranger garb for cooler weather or when you travel somewhere.

Just my two coppers worth. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Scott
aka Whaylen Blackwarden
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome Blackwarden and you give sound advice!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Blackwarden that was very well said and I agree with you, luckily for me I live in area where I get all kinds of weather choices.

Have you considered a khukuri for an option it has a more exotic and tropical look to it.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Panday
Wanderer

Post by Panday »

Frothgar wrote:Barbarian Camoflage.

Just Saying...
Yeah, I know. :lol:

And, to think, they could have just donned reusable shirts, instead.
"The world is grown so bad, that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch."
-Shakespeare, Richard III
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Blackwarden, Backpacks, like you said, aren't Medieval appropriate, but Tolkien mentioned backpacks quite a bit (especially with the hobbits) so pretty much all of us use them constantly (though I use a bedroll for shorter treks.)

If you're looking for a shorter spear haft, I've got a nice 46" one coming in from Kult of Athena that I'm planning on replacing that I wouldn't mind shipping to you. I'm looking for a longer replacement for it, but I wouldn't expect one from you. I think there's an oak shaft in my church attic that's been seasoning for some time that I'm going to see about acquiring.

I'm liking these recent "fish-out-of-water" Ranger Kit threads. Sinai would be a great one to ask about this; she has (or has been working on) a Ranger kit for the eastern portions of Harad, which includes a turban.

I'd say swords aren't going to be very convenient for your areas, though. Kukris would have immense potential...a matched pair dual-weilded would do nicely for both utilitarian and martial purposes. For wooden bows, I'd suggest Bamboo-Backed Ipe, as they can be made much shorter and narrower, yet the bamboo backing would blend in well with your area, and they'd still have the power and speed you'll need.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
nyyarg

Post by nyyarg »

Many thanks for your input Blackwarden. It actually sounds like your climate is much more harsh than mine. Hawaii simply doesn't seem to have extreme heat or humidity, it is just pathologically pleasant. To a large degree I can also pick the climate I want here; Tropical rainforest on the windward side, Arid, Desert-like on the leeward side, and everything in between in between. Only once did I find a place where the bugs were bad enough to cause me mild annoyance...and I simply haven't gone back there. (centipedes are a potential problem still) Still, you offer some excellent insight that I can apply. (Again, I apologize if I have caused any of you climatological envy. Those of you in wet, cold and/or miserable places have my deepest and most heartfelt condolences)

I am kind of liking the idea of a spear as a primary weapon rather than the sword. I have a spear but it is a bit of a monster: an old windlass winged hewing spear with a 28" head (22" blade) mounted on a 4.5' zebrawood shaft. Quite literally a sword on a stick. I think I might want to downsize a bit. A spear and a [pair of] kukri sounds like it would be quite versitile, but part of me is determined to incorporate my AT1509...if for no other reason than because it makes a great classic ranger sword (that, and it was expensive). At the moment though, weapons are the least of my concerns- I have weapons. What I need is a good hat!
Panday wrote:The easiest way to camouflage your arms is to have sleeves. That's why, when I was in the Army, we used to laugh about Schwarzenegger's muscle shirt in "The Predator" and Stallone going shirtless in "Rambo".
It's funny, the first thing I think when I read that was "hmm, I could always paint my arms..." (I have an airbrush w/ temporary tattoo paint) Then I see Frothgar's post... It would seem I think like Conan. I am not convinced that that is a good thing.
Regarding the shirt though, would it be that hard to make a shirt with sleeves that are removable by way of buttons or lacing? In addition to camouflage, long sleeves would be nice at night.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Many doublets come with removable sleeves, so making a shirt/tunic with removable sleeves would be fairly easy. Take a doublet pattern you like and just extend the bottom hem a foot or so. I'd also make it a little baggier, for freedom of movement, so use a larger size than you would normally take.
Waugh23

Post by Waugh23 »

I have not so good info about this but i have read your info and i like this post. This information is really help for many people and i like to say that if i have some more info than this then i will share that with all. thanks for this.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

To me, tropical ranger would probably mirror Roman army kit. Linen tunic, linen braies (calf length shorts), caligae (sandal boots). Weapons would be a short sword and pilum or short spear. These guys fought all around the Med, North Africa, and the ME. Unlike the crusaders, who attempted to maintain their northern European kit and failed miserably, the Romans got it right. Learn from them what got it right, I say.