A good and proper hovel

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

A good and proper hovel

Post by Kortoso »

Apologies if this has been shared previously. I initially looked askance at this due to their reliance on long saws, but otherwise, it's a lovely and reasonable reconstruction of what a Saxon or early medieval house would have looked like.
https://youtu.be/923QZglteeI
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: A good and proper hovel

Post by Iodo »

cool, thanks for the link :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh very cool! I've followed some of their other things, but must have missed this one.

Regarding long saws... hunh. I'd not thought on that. I mean, they must have used *something* as they had all kinds of wood construction.

I see Daegrad and Regia postulate that "H" frame saw design that persisted straight into Pa Ingle's day. I don't recall if artifacts have been recovered, but Regia says they're in manuscripts. In fact, this is interesting:
Most of the 'roughing out' and shaping was done with axes and adzes. The saw has obvious advantages. It can cut out a straight piece of timber every time, splitting can result in planks that are twisted etc. But the trouble with saws was that they were very expensive and difficult to maintain and make. At the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, only 13 saws were recorded in the kingdom. These were probably large saws for what is called 'ripping' down the beam of timber to create planks, as much smaller bow saws are routinely shown in manuscripts.
https://regia.org/research/life/woodwork.htm
I ASSUME those ripping saws were not unlike the pit saws use in our own American colonial era. That would have been a heck of a lot of iron in one place - no wonder they were rare!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I had known how these were constructed but seeing one being built is an entirely different thing. I wouldn't have thought of converting a sheath knife into a draw knife. Very simple yet out of the box for me. Thanks for posting it was very informative.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow amazing!
Frodo lives!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

One day I will own land and that is the day I will go crazy building things like this.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain