What's everyone working on?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

A Mayer
Dúnadan

Re: What's everyone working on?

Post by A Mayer »

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Those arrows are amazing :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Iodo wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:46 am Those arrows are amazing :P
Thanks Iodo,
They're not fancy but they fly true.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

A Mayer wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:43 pm Thanks Iodo,
They're not fancy but they fly true.
You are most welcome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Made a nicer belt pouch recently (~a month ago maybe) with it's own toggle from the scrap of the project, really happy with how it ended up.
Attachments
20230714_031158.jpg
20230714_031158.jpg (168.53 KiB) Viewed 48658 times
20230714_031145.jpg
20230714_031145.jpg (227.12 KiB) Viewed 48658 times
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Very nice work :P
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I've gotten hardly anything done at all this year - there have been far too many commitments for much fun. :(

I did manage to wrap up that Mark Baker inspired "knapsack from a converted haversack body" though, and got out into the forest with that and some other old-timey toys:
merf-18thc-baker-knapsack-01.jpg
merf-18thc-baker-knapsack-01.jpg (155.64 KiB) Viewed 48044 times
merf-18thc-baker-knapsack-02.jpg
merf-18thc-baker-knapsack-02.jpg (146.38 KiB) Viewed 48044 times
I think it's very Hobbity in its own way.

Most of my forest time this year has been rangering of a more practical sort - tracking down all the reservoirs of Oriental Bittersweet in our woods and hacking it up before it can kill the trees. The stuff is nasty! It grows super-fast, snakes up tree trunks, then crowds out the canopy while slowly strangling the trunk. It's a terrible terrible vine that will turn pleasant forest into a Mirkwood in no time, horrific!!

There was time for a more pleasant task - scattering wildflower seeds! It's been very nice to see blue cornflower in our fields this summer - the lore-minded might recognize it from a certain sigil. :mrgreen:
merf-cornflower.jpg
merf-cornflower.jpg (85.19 KiB) Viewed 48044 times
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Elleth wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:00 pm I've gotten hardly anything done at all this year - there have been far too many commitments for much fun. :(

I did manage to wrap up that Mark Baker inspired "knapsack from a converted haversack body" though, and got out into the forest with that and some other old-timey toys:

merf-18thc-baker-knapsack-01.jpg
merf-18thc-baker-knapsack-02.jpg

I think it's very Hobbity in its own way.

Most of my forest time this year has been rangering of a more practical sort - tracking down all the reservoirs of Oriental Bittersweet in our woods and hacking it up before it can kill the trees. The stuff is nasty! It grows super-fast, snakes up tree trunks, then crowds out the canopy while slowly strangling the trunk. It's a terrible terrible vine that will turn pleasant forest into a Mirkwood in no time, horrific!!

There was time for a more pleasant task - scattering wildflower seeds! It's been very nice to see blue cornflower in our fields this summer - the lore-minded might recognize it from a certain sigil. :mrgreen:

merf-cornflower.jpg
That's a nice bag. My I ask what your canteen is made from?
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Wilhelm, it looks like an ACW tin canteen... I hadn't noticed it prior to your asking though, so its not screamingly obvious as non-Middle Earth.

Elleth, I think its the ticking that gives it a Hobbity vibe. I could imagine Samwise or the Gaffer wearing a ticking workshirt while puttering around a garden. Is the canvas waxed?
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:53 pm Wilhelm, it looks like an ACW tin canteen... I hadn't noticed it prior to your asking though, so its not screamingly obvious as non-Middle Earth.

Elleth, I think its the ticking that gives it a Hobbity vibe. I could imagine Samwise or the Gaffer wearing a ticking workshirt while puttering around a garden. Is the canvas waxed?
Thats what I assumed. Great way to disguise it.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

ForgeCorvus, good eye! You're right, it's a reproduction canteen for the American Civil War era - it came covered in that wool, and was carried that way in period as well. This one's a cheat though - it has a stainless steel body, since real tinware can rust so easily. I'm not MERS-picky about everything. :mrgreen:

For those newer and younger folks who didn't learn about this kind of canteen as a kid - the idea of the wool cover is that you wet the wool, and as it dries the evaporating water helps keep the water in the canteen cool. It's not a thermos by any means, but it does help. (This was still common knowledge for '80s kids, but I think outside of traditionalists like this crowd that's a thing that's been largely been forgotten in this age of camelbacks and nalgene.)

Also, this pattern has a pleasant shape - it's nice and flat and just doesn't stick out and get in the way like - say - a nalgene bottle or a modern government-pattern canteen does. That said, it isn't really stable standing on it's side like that... if it's full, you really want to hang it up if you can - especially this older pattern with a cork instead of a screw top.

While I suppose this pattern could have been made in period - and certainly could have been made of tin-lined copper instead of tinned sheet iron - it still doesn't feel really Middle-earth appropriate to me, even for hobbits. (They used leather flasks as I recall... though I might be more inclined to use a leather-covered glass bottle were I to ever do a proper hobbity outing.)

edit - oh, and yes the pack outer shell is waxed. It's not canvas though, just plain shirt-weight linen that I had on hand - which is why I lined it with a nice heavy linen ticking. Effectively, the lining handles the weight of the contents, and the outer linen is just a water-resistant "skin." I don't think I'd trust it for serious use, but for a lightweight daypack it's just fine. And I'm sure back in the day they also sometimes just made do with what was on hand. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Elleth wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:50 pm ForgeCorvus, good eye! You're right, it's a reproduction canteen for the American Civil War era - it came covered in that wool, and was carried that way in period as well. This one's a cheat though - it has a stainless steel body, since real tinware can rust so easily. I'm not MERS-picky about everything. :mrgreen:

For those newer and younger folks who didn't learn about this kind of canteen as a kid - the idea of the wool cover is that you wet the wool, and as it dries the evaporating water helps keep the water in the canteen cool. It's not a thermos by any means, but it does help. (This was still common knowledge for '80s kids, but I think outside of traditionalists like this crowd that's a thing that's been largely been forgotten in this age of camelbacks and nalgene.)
I have a couple of British Army Chagal waterbags, they use evaporative cooling too but because they're canvas they don't need to be wetted down....... I don't think I could get away with using them though

edit - oh, and yes the pack outer shell is waxed. It's not canvas though, just plain shirt-weight linen that I had on hand - which is why I lined it with a nice heavy linen ticking. Effectively, the lining handles the weight of the contents, and the outer linen is just a water-resistant "skin." I don't think I'd trust it for serious use, but for a lightweight daypack it's just fine. And I'm sure back in the day they also sometimes just made do with what was on hand. :mrgreen:
Very Hobbitty then, the Shire is not a big place and you'd never be very far from an inn..... Or a relative's house
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

It is starting to cool down here so I will be reopening the arrow factory mid October. I have quite a few to make. I figured out how to do it.
Attachments
Bench_124231.jpg
Bench_124231.jpg (209.64 KiB) Viewed 47806 times