What's everyone working on?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: What's everyone working on?

Post by Iodo »

I've been away too long :P

A Mayer that scabbard looks really nice, if you decide you want a chape you could always see if you could buy one on the net, but I think it looks good as it is, and Turgolanas, awesome work, your kit's coming along nicely

and what am I working on? I'm off on a family holiday next week, but for now I've just started making projects again but I've still got quite a lot of boring home jobs left so it might still be longer before I can make video's again, but I've got a belt pouch on the go, and all the pattern pieces cut for a new pair of linen pants that are much needed due to all of mine having worn out

maybe I'll get some in-progress pictures up before I leave but no promises :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by redhandfilms »

New oilcloth tarp. Made from a king size cotton bed sheet, lampwick loops, and 50/50 boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. This will be much lighter and more compact than my previous 8x10 canvas tarp.
Seen here, rolled up on my quiver before it's waterproofing.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Another scrap leather pouch! It's about 4"x6"x2" and the squared boxed top means it "seals" so small items like coins won't fall out.

How many pouches are too many? I've got 6 now. All made from remnant scraps from Tandy Leather.

Also, my new tarp was dry enough to take down. At 4 lbs 6 oz, it is significantly lighter than my previous canvas tarp. Now I need to make a smaller ground cloth in a similar method that will double as my rain cloak. Thanks to Cortharyn for that idea.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Dang, these are some pretty awesome projects! I think I’m gonna have to follow in your footsteps with the bedsheet oilcloth, that’s one of the best ideas I’ve seen and I’m still in need of a good tarp/cover.
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Redhand: How many pouches is too many?...... When you have to wear a third belt to fit them on
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:45 pm ..... When you have to wear a third belt to fit them on
Truer words have never been spoken! :P

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:45 pm When you have to wear a third belt to fit them on
I'm already wearing two belts on my waist and I've started putting pouches on my quiver chest straps, so...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

redhandfilms wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:41 am
ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:45 pm When you have to wear a third belt to fit them on
I'm already wearing two belts on my waist and I've started putting pouches on my quiver chest straps, so...
Close..... But no cigar
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

I finished up a new quiver last night that I had been meaning to make to replace the one I've been using all these years.

The leather I ordered ended up being thinner and more pliable than I thought it was going to be, so I pulled a page out of WETA's book and made an arrow bag out of wool to put inside the quiver. this ended up giving more body and stiffness to the quiver.

The strap is an old belt from high school that I attached with scraps from a leather journal I made ages ago.

Overall, it's a very simple design, but I'm very happy with the outcome!

I'm also finishing a scabbard project, I'll post pics once the dye job is finished.

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That looks really good :P

it seems that lately everyone is moving towards soft quivers, and Kramer (Living Anachronism) had a demo of how as the quiver flexes it traps the arrows so they don't bounce out, it seems like a good idea and is making me want to try it if I get time, hmmm...
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Lovely work Barandir, and the colours are perfect.
Iodo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:42 am Kramer (Living Anachronism) had a demo of how as the quiver flexes it traps the arrows so they don't bounce out
With an arrow divider and an arrow sock they aren't exactly bouncing out of a hard quiver either.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Iodo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:42 am Kramer (Living Anachronism) had a demo of how as the quiver flexes it traps the arrows so they don't bounce out,
I have this Elven quiver from Ravenswood Leather.
https://ravenswoodleather.com/elven-quiver-3pt/
The fur lining inside the quiver keeps arrows from bouncing and they're still drawn and replaced easily.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Iodo wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:42 am
it seems that lately everyone is moving towards soft quivers
I’ve noticed that too! I actually have used soft quivers for years, my last one was part of a Korean War gun sock that I cut down and added a strap to.

Thank you, Eofor! I’m quite happy with the colors myself.

redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

I have made pins for the Southeast Rangers! This is the prototype and very easy to make. I'll have a dozen or so with me at the upcoming Dockery Lake Campout and future meetups. The symbol is a simple "SE" for Southeast, written in Tengwar. I 3D printed a leather stamp. Made from scrap leather and copper wire, they only take me 5-10 each to make.
I was inspired by this pin by theowl
viewtopic.php?t=3939