What's an untrained ranger to do?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Re: What's an untrained ranger to do?

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

LMAO!
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Wow. Idon't know, but watching those videos, something just clicked in my mind about the deadliness of a tomahawk in the right hands. It seems the edge isn't the only useable thing in a hawk.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

You know, at Harnas's Recreational Violence weekend last July, we had a couple of good classes in hawk & dagger. Heh, that was actually a pretty axe intensive weekend.

One thing that hit me early on...er, other than the guys that were trying to...is that it can be very similar to espada y daga work, that is, short sword and dagger, with the addition of that additional hook at the end.

But then, I'm always intrigued at how similar fighting styles from different areas are, and between different weapons. More similarities than differences, I'd say. And I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but I always am.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

A man I greatly admire and personally like, Dwight McLemore has done some very good work in the knife and 'hawk department. His blade work has influenced my own personal style almost as much as Leictanauer and silver. 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Well, not exactly resurrecting a deceased equine, but...

So, Eric, have you been able to do some training?
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

:cry: No, I've done nothing but run my backside off this year! I think we've put the last of the busyness behind us as of this weekend. Maybe I can get to it now. It's not good to complain about full-time employment, but my job has picked up considerably since I started this thread. We're actually getting overtime now! But it sure cuts into knifemaking and any opportunity for training. Now I have to get my back straightened out again. I threw it out this weekend changing out the door that the thieves kicked in. Did I mention somewhere that I hate thieves?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

LOL No, all things considered, don't complain about work. Trust me, it beats the alternative.

Yeah, I did catch the bit about thieves. Man, that really sucks. And I do hope your back recovers soon.

Anyway, reason I was asking is that I'll be making a trip through the area (sort of) this weekend. But it sounds like you won't be up for a workout, not with your back messed up. That REALLY screws up a workout. Where are you near, anyway?
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'm about 35-40 miles northeast of Raleigh. I am hoping that the back is going to ease considerably before this weekend. I really need to work on some knives during the week that I am hoping to put up for sale soon.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Ah, well I'll be passing through on I-40 on Thursday, late, and either Saturday or Sunday, in the morning, along with my girlfriend. If you'd like, I could stop by for a bit of training. But that would depend on your back and your schedule. Let me know if you think you'll be up for it, and I'll pack along a waster and some other stuff.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, great. Will do. Hopefully this is a harbinger of things to come, but the back is feeling a little better this morning.
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Fantastic. Good to hear that. I picked up my waster and coupld of modified shinai tonight and I'll bring them along. We need to figure when and where to meet. I'll PM you with contact details.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'll answer your PM with some directions from 95 and Raleigh when I get home from work this afternoon. I look forward to meeting you face-to-face.
Oissene
Wayfarer

Post by Oissene »

Something to remember , Musashi was completely self taught and self motivated, also ( I think ) most of the WMA instructors were mostly self taught. That being said.. its much easier to practice/use swords when its actually the main weapon of choice.
Books I personally use...The Martial Artists Book of Five Rings and J.Clements " Medieval Swordsmanship ". Narrowed done my use quite a bit.
Tobler's "Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship " has good pics ( for demonstration purposes ) another good book is " Highland Swordmanship "
by Mark Rector.
Like Clements book the best even has a program of instruction in it.
An oh bye tha bye , there are three of us here in eastern NC that would be willin ta practice an train with ye, schedules and real life permitting , two are connected to de Real Army Mochine , you see.
watchinglisteningdefending
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Well, ya see. Ye think yer all alone til ye put out feelers an ye find yerself in good company after all. We'll have to see about getting together.

Pwyll did swing by for a couple of hours and it was good to work with him and meet him and his face-to-face. He thought there should be some folks closer to me than Pensylvania.