Bota bag/ wineskin kit

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Bota bag/ wineskin kit

Post by Willrett »

Don't know if anyone else has found these or know of a cheaper alternative but it seems like a good project. At the bottom of the page is the kit for 11.00.

http://www.leatherunltd.com/kits/moccas ... asins.html
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Bota bag/ wineskin kit

Post by Peter Remling »

I saw it about 2 years ago, I still keep looking just for the bladders. Making your own covering and strap from leather is quick and an easy intro to leather craft.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Peter Remling wrote:I still keep looking just for the bladders.
I've heard that Bota of Boulder will sell the bladders on their own, in 14, 32, or 50 oz. sizes, at reasonable cost. You might try contacting them.

Another option is to use a Platypus bottle, they are flexible and come in 1 or 2.5 litre sizes. A low/no-cost option might also be to recycle the liner from boxed wine, particularly if you're looking for a larger capacity.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've done a couple of the platypus bags and Bota of Boulder never displayed the plain bladders on their site. I suppose I could contact them to see if they sell bladders only but it will most likely be in bulk and between all the converted and original wineskins I have, they total almost 20 so I surely don't need a bulk quantity. :lol: I checked a lot of other sites too (medical and food storage ) to find additional shaped food safe plastics but havn't found anything of interest.

I just like to do one every now and then for hobby work or to match a sword scabbard , garb or harness.