My Tinkersword

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

My Tinkersword

Post by Eric C »

Every now and then, when I get a pic in kit, folks see my Tinkersword and ask me to get more pics of it. Until now, I have not obliged you. Sorry about that. Well, today I took it out and snapped a couple of quick pics.
Here are the stats on the sword:
OAL 45 7/8"
Blade Length: 36"
Blade Width: 1 5/8" just in front of the plunges (unless you have a more proper name for them. If so, please share it.)
Center of Balance: 3 3/4" from guard
Guard width: 6 7/8"
Weight: 2 3/4 lbs IIRC I don't have a kitchen scale to weigh it.
The fittings are all mild steel.

Without further delay, here are the pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/919ericc/MyTinkersword#

I am considering redoing the handle out of Cocobolo, or maybe a nice burl of some sort. When I first commissioned this sword, I did not understand how stunning a good wood handle could be, so I insisted on a leather wrapped handle. Also, the sword is really unfinished. I needed it before Tinker could etch anything on the pommel, or in the fuller as I had asked him to do. He said he would do it if I sent the sword back, but then the lay off bug hit our home. So, I am considering practicing my etching abilities once I every find the powdered FeCl that a friend sent me. I lost it when we moved from the old house. I know it made the trip, but it must be packed away somewhere.

If you would like to see anything else, let me know and I'll try to get it done quickly, as opposed to 6 months from now. :roll: Any questions, maybe I can answer them.
Oh, I've never cut with it. I have not practiced cutting and I would like to have some control over the weapon before I go swinging it through the air.

Let me know what you think.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: My Tinkersword

Post by Peter Remling »

Most of the Tinker's blades I have seen have too much of a distal taper for my liking but your's has that serious not effet look. You're right, that pommel screams for some decoration: etching, inlay shaping. Looks lika a new project. I'd suggest holding off on changing the grip unless it's one that can be easily disasembled. A leather wrap does reduce vibrations and provides a more comfortable grip. If you ever plan on cutting with it, hold on to the current grip and just change it out.

Very nice, piece.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks for that advice on the grip. I can see how the leather would act as a shock absorber. I am actually thinking of doing several styles of handles. It is easily changed out by a 5mm allen screw in the pommel.

The sword was basically my design. I told Tinker that I liked the blade on Aragorn's movie sword- before Narsil was reforged, but I liked the guard of Glamdring. He told me to draw up the plans I had in mind. My original pommel looked really cheesy, and he told me it wouldn't work out like I wanted, so I drew in the wheel pommel. Overall, he said I had drawn a good sword. Originally, the sword was going to be wider at the base. After I learned more about swords, I got a little worried about the weight of the prospective blade. But then "disaster" struck. The blank for my sword got messed up somehow- I don't remember how- and Tinker asked if a blank that was slightly smaller would be okay. I jumped on it.
I'm hoping to either find the FeCl, or go buy some muratic acid soon to start practicing my etching. Add that to the list of desiring to learn lost wax casting, honing my knife making skills, improving my leatherwork abilities- grrr! How close are they to allowing human cloning?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eric C wrote: How close are they to allowing human cloning?
Very! The government wants the additional tax revenue. :lol:
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Very nice!

While I am not a sword man per se.....I do love me a BIG KNIFE!!!

I just forged out a seax for myself.....now I just need to do the heat treat and handle it!!!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Judging by the specs I would name that sword rattlesnake, 8)

"I do love me a BIG KNIFE!!!"

you an' me both 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~