Quick trek

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

A Mayer
Dúnadan

Quick trek

Post by A Mayer »

Outing
My fiancé and I had a few awesome days of modern camping at Farish Rec. Area on Rampart Range. I also got in a bit of Ranger trekking.
The plan was to move for a few hours up into the national forest, find a location to set up a camp site, then scout the area. Seeing weather approaching sooner than expected I found a spot to still work shelter options and do a short scouting around my site. I located a few good vantage points for observing trail intersections then found a shallow bowl away from any trail where a got in a bit of stump shooting.
At the site I set up and tore down the tarp several times. Used a plow point, coffin, and a low A-frame.
Mountain weather! I had the plow point set up when I realized I was about to get slammed as the dark blue clouds were boiling over the ridgeline.
I started breaking down the shelter and strapping up the ruck for movement as heavy rain hit so fast that my fletchings got wet before I got the cover over the arrows and the quiver strapped on the ruck.
Decided to take a direct route back to camp with a few good slips and slides moving down one steep ridge. Reality of non-lugged soles. Moved fast for almost an hour working my way back to the base camp (modern site). Of course, the rain had immediately turned to hail…. fun.
I was drenched by the time I made it back to the modern camp site. Icy slush was already building up on the tent.
Same load out in the ruck; four days of rations, water, wool tunic & pants, socks, cook kit, repair kit, tarp, blanket, ground cloth, shelter kit, med kit, water filter, rope, and light cordage. Bow and quiver.
Not a long trek but a good one.
Lessons learned:
Longer utility cords in shelter kit. 10’ rather than 6’.
Smaller tarp.
Current tarp is 9x9. I need to make an 8x8 or even a 7 1/2x7 1/2. There will be times when the larger tarp is necessary but for most travels, a smaller tarp will work fine.
All my gear was recently inspected, cleaned, and the leather treated. I can’t stress enough how important that is.Image
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: Quick trek

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome
Frodo lives!
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

I'm curious about your boots (they look fantastic) Are they a mod? It looks like a modern sole.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:20 am I'm curious about your boots (they look fantastic) Are they a mod? It looks like a modern sole.
Hey Tom, I made these boots some time ago, early in my Rangering days.
The soles are modern, although based on what I'm seeing with the natural soles on some boots, mine have far less traction.
These were a huge undertaking and I figured I'd never be able to replicate them. Everything I was reading at the time led me to believe that if I went with a leather sole, the boots might get destroyed.
My longest outing was 6 days, 5 nights, spring in Germany, so the boots stayed wet most of the time.
I THINK they could be re-soled? Maybe. I'd have to find a really competent cobbler as I can't risk damaging the midsole.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome kit and amazing outing :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Inspiring pictures and a very useful trek report. As always, thanks for sharing!
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Thanks Iodo, Desert Loon.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks like a grand time out.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I've said it elsewhere but this is really inspirational stuff.

I can't express how impressive I think it is that you've come back into the hobby after so long and are still at the top of your game for kit, skills and ability to tie it all into an authentic portrayal. Keep going man, I'll catch up eventually.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Eofor wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:38 am I've said it elsewhere but this is really inspirational stuff.

I can't express how impressive I think it is that you've come back into the hobby after so long and are still at the top of your game for kit, skills and ability to tie it all into an authentic portrayal. Keep going man, I'll catch up eventually.
Eofor, thank you so much. I can’t tell you how much your words mean. When you asked me the other day who would have made the jacket for Tirandur, you sparked something. Often now I find myself thinking of, who would Tirandur be, and why.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A Mayer wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:31 am Often now I find myself thinking of, who would Tirandur be, and why.
This is the difference between re-creation, re-enactment, LARP and Cosplay.... At least in my mind, I think I might go start another thread rather then hijack this one.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

A Mayer wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:31 am Eofor, thank you so much. I can’t tell you how much your words mean.
I need a few more miles under my belt before I feel worth of such praise. Thankfully my auto immune disease seems to be in retreat, I've been crafting and am back in the gym building my strength and fitness back up. Pack walks start next month.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Barandir

Post by Barandir »

Eofor wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:39 pm
I need a few more miles under my belt before I feel worth of such praise. Thankfully my auto immune disease seems to be in retreat, I've been crafting and am back in the gym building my strength and fitness back up. Pack walks start next month.
Glad to hear it, Eofor! Keep us updated on the journey, if only so we can cheer your progress from afar!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.