Hidden Depths

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Hidden Depths

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've had a story rolling around in my head for a while, so I thought I'd let it out......

First instalment
It was a crisp Narquelië morning and the women and older girls were gathered around the well drawing water for the day, when a squat figure with a large pack and a black hood walked down the road. The stranger stopped a short distance into the village green and drew back his hood to reveal the broad forehead and bushy beard of one of Durin’s Folk.
“Greetings Goodwives” He called “Might I draw a pail as it has been a long dry road?”
The women exchanged glances and finally one said “We have sufficient for today and there is no drought here, so take what you need”.
The women returned to their homes or their conversations as the traveller walked over to the well and shrugged out of his pack, placing it beside the the well wall he then dropped the bucket down and started to wind the crank to bring the water up.
The well bucket was large and heavy when full of water, although one woman could raise it by herself it was normal for the villagers to all draw water together with the women working in pairs on the crank. The dwarf wound the crank one-handed and seemingly without effort.
Stopping after a few turns he reached into one of the many pouches on his belt and produced a small bottle, the contents of which he used to oil the bearings silencing the annoying squeak. After he had lifted to bucket onto the wide wall top he took a large metal mug from his pack which he rinsed, filled and drank deeply from.
As he was swilling out and refilling his wooden canteen, one of the women exclaimed “Now I remember you!… In the spring you sold Willam Walker a paper packet of fish-hooks”
“Laketown pattern, gape of five Poppyseeds, one score. I remember too, it’s not often I sell a whole envelope to one man….. Hows he getting on with them?”
“Getting on with them !! My door creaks, my chimney smokes and I have to get my son to chop firewood because my husband spends all his ‘spare’ time with a rod in his hand… I would despair if it wasn’t for the fact he only has three left” here she pauses for breath and at a slightly lower volume continues “So I shall give you six fresh eggs and a loaf of bread baked just this morning …..If, you don’t sell him any more!”
The traveller bobs a small bow of his head with the words “We have a deal Mistress Walker”
One of the other women chips in “All the Menfolk are working in the forest today, so this business need not bother them…… Willam gave my man, Jon Every, a couple of hooks that first month, I’m offering two Thumbs-width from a side of bacon for the same thing as Mav asked”
Again the half bow “A deal, lady”
“Have you got to rush away ?” Mav Walker asks “I’m sure others here will wish to trade for things… And the Men are always keen for news”
“Grant me space under a roof to sleep and I need not leave until morning” the dwarf says. At their hesitation he adds “Even a hut or a shed would be better then a hedge for a wall and the stars for a ceiling”
“The small barn maybe?” suggests one of the older wives. To the dwarf she adds “It is empty and used seldom because it is on the edge of the village and far from most houses, but we keep it in good order and weathertight should we need to store a glut at harvest-time”.
“That sounds suitable. I have needles and pins, thimbles, buttons, buckles, broaches and clothing hooks. Small shears, fine but practical knives and a few arrowheads along with many other trifles…. All made by my People in the forges of Erebor”
And so for the next few hours the dwarf showed the women of the village the items he had to trade and in turn they offered that which they had to spare, many deals were done and at the conclusion of each he gave the same small bow in acknowledgement.
Shortly after noon one of the younger and less worldly of the wives said “Master Dwarf, the wind blows cold and here you still sit. My home is just there, would you not find it pleasant to sit by the fire”
“Goodwoman, I would not wish to discomfort you but as I have travelled I have learned that, be it ever so honest, husbands tend to get upset should they come home and find a stranger at their hearth. So here I shall stay for the now.”
Undeterred she replied.
“In that case, some hot tea then?…… Please, do not deny my hospitality. Have you preference?” she said as she lifted the traveller’s mug from the bench beside him.
“Tea I will accept, and willingly. Mint if you have it”
“My good sir, we have mint aplenty but also Leaf and in good measure, my husband cares for it not and I drink it so seldom that I fear it with go stale before it is used up”
“Lady, I would trade well for tea leaf, but for now mint is sufficient”
When the men and boys returned home and went in for their midday meal each household sent a little something to the trader, a baked turnip with butter from one, a bowl of pottage from another, bacon from a third, another sent out a heel of bread covered in beef dripping, bits of sausage, slabs of cheese, apples and the like. A small share of whatever that family dined upon made its way over, he dined well and none had to bear the weight of feeding another mouth.

In the afternoon it was the turn of the men to talk with the trader, much to the chagrin of some fellows (and the secret delight of their wives) it seemed that there were no fishing hooks of any kind to be had. However news of the land beyond a days travel is always welcome and there were still some deals to be done, one man after completing a trade of two buckles for a battered lamp with no glass said “Why would you want such a thing? Tis broken, dented and far too small to burn all night.”
“Why? It is well made and glass can be replaced…. Besides” the dwarf said as he balanced it in his palm like an apple “I would say its size to be just right for a traveller”

Later as the evening started to draw in and everyone drifted back to their homes, and while the traveller packed away his trade goods, the food and other items he had gained. There came a shout from the edge of the village “Mav! Mav! Send to fetch Granny Ash!” and Willam Walker staggered up the path carrying another person in his arms who he laid down on the bench in front of his house.
His wife and daughter came out the door, Mav with a raised lantern asked “What goes here?” on seeing that her husband’s burden was her eldest son “How came Willard to be hurt? And where did you find him thus?” she waved at her daughter and the girl took off at a run.
“I was down by the stream… Don’t give me that look Woman, I had no hooks with me I swear.” Willam paused “I all but tripped over him laid face down in the dirt, somebody shot an arrow into him”
Some of the villagers had gathered near to offer aid and support as the girl returned carrying a large satchel and in the company of an old lady leaning on a stick “Ma, Granny was already coming!”
“Thank you child, I can speak for myself. Why would you say he’s been shot Willam?”
Walker brandished a broken arrow shaft with dark greasy fletchings “This was under him like it had snapped off as he fell, the rest still sticks out below his shoulder”
Granny Ash turns to the girl “My bag if you please Ruby. Now run to my house and stoke up the fire, then clear off my table and light all the candles…. Go girl, go”
Then an unfamiliar voice speaks out from the edge of the crowd “Use your strongest herbs Madam Ash. That arrow will be filthy”
“Yes, yes Master Dwarf” the Healer says, while fixing him with her gimlet stare “Will you tell Granny how to suck eggs next?”
The villagers turn to see that the affable, over polite and kindly being they had spent most of the day with was gone and in his place was a creature of granite and steel with eyes as intense as a falcon.
“It will also be about as long as my finger,” he lifts one hand with index finger extended to illustrate “and wickedly barbed.”
“That may make difficulties, however forewarned is forearmed” Granny points to a couple of the larger men “You two carry him to my house on the bench, better to not twist that evil thing around inside of him more then needed. Mav, if Ruby is sure she wishes to follow my path I will welcome her help. Keep the rest of your family here…. Willam, sit down afore ye fall” at this the indicated men lifted the improvised litter and in the company of Granny carried Willard away.
Ashen faced and covered in blood though he was, Willam wanted answers “Dwarf! Ye know who did this! You’ve seen arrows such as these before… Who could do such a thing to a lad?”
“Who did it? I don’t know, but I know what did it” a pause “It was a group of Orc scouts, at least three but no more then six, they were travelling fast and they have now left the area”
“And how would ye know all this?”
“You were not molested, so they are gone. They’re travelling fast because they didn’t make sure of their kill or take trophies, and they’re few in number or they would of already attacked your village”
A woman rushes over “Mav, Willam. Willow says my Rowan was going to walk with your son.. Did you see any sign of her?… I can’t find her!”
The Dwarf clears his throat “Blonde girl, small for her age, you might even say delicate?” at her mother’s nod “I know the one.” He raises his voice and addresses the crowd at large. “Out there,” he waves vaguely towards forest “about two or three days travel, there is an Orc warband. There will be between thirty and fifty of the loathsome creatures, all armed to the teeth and with mayhem in mind. They are lead by their chief who will be the biggest and nastiest of the lot because he rules by fear and violence.” He pauses to ensure that they are listening “The chief will of sent out scouting parties to find places like this to despoil. If that party gets back to him, he will bring the warband here”
One of the younger men asks here “What do you mean ‘If’?”
“The more I’m interrupted the longer this will take.” the dwarf says with a glare “Scouts go missing all the time, they fall off cliffs or stumble into bogs. They are attacked by other beasts or just run away from the chief, and most free Peoples will kill them on sight.” he takes a deep breath to calm himself “Now hear me, and hear me well! Arm everyone who can use weapons and train those who can’t. Bring your livestock close and secure them best you can. Your windows are small, your doors are stout and your roofs are of live turf so your homes are as safe as you could make them. Set a watch all night, do not allow them fire or lights as it makes you night-blind and shows where you are…. And double the guard in the hours before dawn.” He props his pack against the wall of the Walker’s house. “If they haven’t attacked within the month, they won’t be coming” he slings a rolled cloth over his shoulder on a cord “Walker, show me where you found your boy and then come back here”
He turns his eyes towards the girl’s weeping mother “I promise you, I shall bring your daughter back to you”
Willam and another man move forwards “Me and Jon are coming with you, he’s good in the forest and they hurt me boy”
“No Walker, you are not…I have to travel fast and long, and I must go now!” the dwarf settled his flask on its strap “I leave my pack here, if I’ve not returned in a sevenday you can share my chattels out to the village….. Show me please”
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: Hidden Depths

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Great writing, please write more :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Part 2
It was shortly before dawn on the sixth day as one of those standing watch was shocked to hear a horse raspy voice addressing him from a bush “Boy, quiet now…. I have returned and I need you to do something for me, do you understand?”
The lad nods and whispers “That you Master Dwarf? You brought Rowan back? Your voice sounds different, be you hurt?”
“Hush there…. Now quickly and quietly I need you to fetch the girl’s father and the headman, no one else and most especially not her mother. Then bring them to the small barn at the end of this road… Can you do that?”
“Not really Master Dwarf, her father and the headman are one in the same.”
“One of the Elders then ?”
The boy thinks for a moment “Granny sits on her porch to watch the sun come up each morning, so she would be awake now.. I could bring her and Rowan’s Da”
“Granny Ash, the Healer? Yes, she will do well …… Don’t shout and don’t run, speak to no one else but go swift”

The boy leads the Healer and Headman along the road to the barn, the door of which is slightly ajar letting a thin shaft of warm light spill across the beaten earth yard. At a word from the man the boy sits on a large stone marking the gateway, the two adults then approach the door and halt when they hear the dwarf speak from within. “Father of Rowan, I did as I promised and have brought her back to you….. But I regret that her soul sits with her Ancestors”
“I thought as much when you sent for me to come here rather then bringing her to my home. I would have some time alone with her…… Granny, wait without if you please”
The door is opened from inside and the dwarf says “I have just the one candle, is there sufficient light for human eyes?”
“More then enough Master Dwarf, thank you for asking”
The dwarf waits until Rowan’s father crosses the threshold before stepping around the door and gently closing it, he then sinks down into a boneless heap leaning on the wall beside the doorpost. He closes his eyes and sighs while rubbing his face with both hands.
“Master Dwarf, yours is a doughty race but you look done in… Be there anything ye be needing?” the Healer asks.
“Just water,” the dwarf pulls his canteen round to his front “but I have that here.” he removes the stopper and drinks like pouring water down a drain. Granny Ash pushes the bottle back down with her stick “Ye be proper dry! Drink like that and yorn stomach will rebel. How long since you last took water?”
“I know this Granny and I should of remembered such, my mind is clouded at present…. I last drank before I fought, so three days maybe four… It depends on how long its been since I left. I know the last time I ate was here in the Noontime.”
“Best you tell me it all young man”
The dwarf quirks his lips in a small tired smile at being called young man by a woman probably several years his junior. “For a night and a day and another night I chased them down. I caught them, I killed them and made sure that they will never be found…. And then I carried the girl home in my arms”
“So, ye had water and yet it stayed untouched? Why do such when ye know how bad that can be for a body ?”
“Among my People to eat or drink in the presence of the Departed is to show extreme disrespect, and I couldn’t leave her alone. That is also not done.” the dwarf takes a single swallow of water, after a short while Granny speaks again “Ye know the Path that I walk? What I do for folks hereabouts?”
“Aye” the dwarf replies “They call you Granny like its a job title as with ‘Smith’ or ‘Miller’, from what I’ve seen you’re the one who stitches wounds and sets bones. The person who they come to with the little maladies of life and the only one they send for, to help with childbed…. Wisdom, Cunning Folk, Yarb Woman, Hedge Witch, the name changes but the need doesn’t.”
The old woman nods “Ye forgot the most important job. Tis true that I help them when they come in to the world, but I also make the ‘arrangements’ when they depart…. So tell me true, how bad was it? Will Rowan’s Ma be able to see and remember her sweet girl or will I have to stitch her shroud closed?”
The dwarf again rubs his face and then runs his fingers over his beard while framing his reply “They put a rope around her neck and forced her to run with them, if she slowed they drove her on with whips and fists and sometimes struck her just because they could. When she fell from fatigue they dragged her a short way, then hauled her up and carried her with no more care then you or I would show a faggot of firewood. Finally they made camp and one of them cut away her hair with a dull knife, ask me not the why of it, their reasoning is beyond me. What happened next I’m unsure of, but they probably argued as they are a quarrelsome race and one killed her to spite another. Whoever did the deed cut her here” he lifts his right hand and touches the edge to the side of his neck just under his jawline “hard and deep…. She passed from this world before she knew she was dead” he pauses and says grimly “I arrived too late to save her but soon enough to insure no further insult to her body….. My wroth fell upon them, none escaped” he stops speaking and drinks again, then with wonder in his voice adds “Humans never cease to amaze me… Scarcely a woman, barefoot and terrified. Yet for a full night and a day until noon she kept pace with orc scouts. She may have had the eyes of a doe, but she had the heart of a Stag…..” and with a wistful note “I wish I could of known her better”
The door opens and the father says “Thank you Master Dwarf.. ” The dwarf seems surprised that he was heard, almost like he had forgotten that he wasn’t the only person there. The man continues “No, don’t get up on my account…. Granny, could you sit with my daughter a while?
“Aye Gunthor, that I shall… Do you wish me to start ‘arrangements’ here ?”
“You may need not to Granny, you’ll see what I mean.” the man replies “I must speak with the boy, and then I have a few questions of my own to ask you Master Dwarf.” Gunthor speaks to the lad who then sets off back up the road, he then turns his back to the barn and stares off into the shadows under the trees. After spending a while together in silence, Gunthor speaks “Master Dwarf, my daughter’s body is clean and her hair, such as is left, is brushed…. Did you do that?”
“Aye, there was no other.”
“Her hurts have salve on them and the worse wounds are dressed… Was that you also?”
“Was I wrong to care so?”
“She is wrapped in rich fabric and has a coin in her hand…. Why would you do that?”
“Is that not done amongst your people?
“No Master Dwarf, it is not…. But I would guess that it is with yours.” Gunthor turns to the dwarf and with his eyes full of unshed tears says “I am Gunthor Gains, Headman of Deer’s Leap and I offer my hand in friendship” he thrusts his hand out towards the dwarf, who climbs to his feet and steps forward to take it with the words “I am Barron, son of Barris, son of Barr… And I wish my service wasn’t as lacking.”
“Oh no Master Barrisson, you kept your promise and brought my daughter home…. What is more you cared for her as one of your own. There is no lack here.” man and dwarf clasp hands as warriors do and when Gains speaks it is with the voice of a Headman rather then that of a heartbroken father. “I asked young Every to bring your pack, I think in our grief it will be hard to make you welcome today…. But you shall be most welcome another time.”
“I understand Master Gains, it is close to winter so I shall return when the thorn-trees blossom.”
The boy staggers down the path, struggling with the weight of the dwarf’s massive pack. “Master Gains, me Da and Master Walker are bringing a litter and a lamp… And Mistress Walker said to tell you that she’ll go to wake your household and be company for your wife.” Every looks grateful as Barron helps him off with the pack and says to him. “Mistress Walker said that the loaf that she traded to you is probably stale by now so she’s put you in a fresh ‘un…. Also she told me to make it plain that nobody else has touched your gear.”
“Thank her for me please Young Master Every, for I must now depart” Barron hefts the pack onto his shoulders and hooks the strap across his broad chest, he then settles his canteen on his side and turns to leave.
“Master Barrisson, one last thing afore you go” Gunthor says “Just what is it that Rowan is shrouded in?”
“My cloak” comes the reply “Her own clothes were ruined and I wouldn’t wrap her in anything that belonged to that filth…. There is no need to return it, it is hers now” he again turns away.
“Barron, winter is coming and the nights are cold enough to kill. Only a fool would travel without a good cloak or blanket and you have neither, please take mine.” Gunthor pulls his cloak over his head and continues “It is nowhere near as fine as your gift, but its good wool woven by my own wife” Barron holds his hands up in a gesture of refusal and Gunthor adds “From yarn spun by my family… Including Rowan.” Barron lowers his hands and turns the palms up and as Gunthor lays the cloak on them says “I will take it for remembrance and in friendship," He drops into a deep bow with his body parallel to the ground "thank you Gunthor.”
As the litter bearers come down the path, the dwarf swirls the cloak about his shoulders and steps quickly into the shadows of the forest and is swiftly lost from sight.
Last edited by ForgeCorvus on Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Brilliant writing, but I'm sad that the girl didn't survive. Granny Ash is my favourite character so far, she is very discworld :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Thank you, mate..... I rarely have the nerve to share anything I write, and almost never somewhere this public.

There is going to be an epilogue posted soon

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Epilogue.
Years pass, the seasons come and go in their own time and rhythm.
Village life remains the same and yet changes.
The well still stands on the green and every morning the womenfolk gather their water together sharing the work and gossip, but the houses have new additions and extensions and the paths are packed gravel rather then earth. Looking around the green there stand some new houses some of which are built half-timbered with wattle&daub, large windows and porches that are small or completely missing. Here stands a small probably one room home in the local style, a stout door in the middle of the long front wall flanked on one side by a small shuttered window. The turf roof extends over its large porch, which by the evidence of the folded shave-horse propped in the corner is used as a working space…. However, at this moment an old man sits finishing a story told to the small girl sitting beside him.
“And that sweetie, is why we call that barn “Quiet Rest” and why the track from there to the green is planted with rowan trees”
“I wish I lived in olden days Grampy, I would of liked to see Barron Barrisson” Her grandfather smiles down at her.
“Oh pumpkin, it wasn’t so very long ago. Your Gramma Willow was that Rowan’s sister, thats why we gave you her name, and I was the lad that morning when she came home…. Besides, dwarves live a long time. You’ve seen him, you’ve seen him many times. In the spring when the hawthorn blooms he’ll next come walking down that road with his large heavy pack full of needful things and his black hood upon his head.” the man pauses as the child realises who he it talking about. “Yes, the newcomers call him Blackcap the peddler and look down on his wandering ways. But the old families, the Gains, the Everys, the Walkers and others, we know who he is and what he does. Tis why when he comes we greet him with mint tea, and when he leaves Mistress Walker, as her husband's mother did before her, gives him a loaf of fresh baked bread…He remembers us also, because when he needs a new cloak he buys it here and makes sure its woven by Gains women…… And in all these years he never has any fish-hooks!”
The girl looks puzzled and asks “He calls several times a year, why would he not think to bring some if folks have been asking?”
“If you make a promise today do you break it tomorrow?” at the girl’s head shake he continues “How about next week?… Next year?…. Still no? Yorn word must be as good in a hundred years as it is now, otherwise you may as well not give it…. Yon dwarf holds close to that.” Rowan smiles as she understands saying “He made a deal, so he stick with it”
“Aye child, thus is the way of it” the man replies “We know we owe him a debt and he thinks he owes us one…. By these small things we show we remember.”
A pinch-faced woman carrying a basket walks up “Rowan, take this to Granny Ruby and then come straight back. You have been lax studying your letters… And evening draws in”
“Aye Ma” at the woman’s glare the girl changes her reply to “Yes, Mother” then takes the basket, kisses her grandfather on the cheek and heads off around the cottage. Once her daughter is out of earshot the woman says angrily “Peasant name or no, I will not have her speaking like a farm-girl. Her father is mayor of this village”
“Headman” the old man says, adding “and a farmer” The woman turns on him, jabbing her finger towards him like a dagger “And as for you, Bran Every. Not only do you conspire with my husband to give a girl child a bow as a Solstice gift, but just this morning she tells me she wishes to cut away some of her hair to make a new string for it…. As you told her the Elves do! Elves!! Next you’ll be teaching her that skin-changers and tree-shepherds are real! Father-in-Law or no, I will not have you filling her head with tales and nonsense”
“Rowan is not the only girl around here to own a bow...No, Marcia, you’ve had yorn say and now I will have mine. Before you married my son and moved here, my late wife warned you that our ways are not your ways….. And if it be just ‘tales and nonsense’ where be the harm?” Bran stands and adds “Now I must go” he picks up a broad leather belt and buckles it about his waist, on one side hangs a heavy knife and on the other a cudgel studded with iron “for tonight I oversee the Watch” he slings a rolled cloak over his shoulder and reaches through the door to lift out a long wicker tube full of arrows and a short stiff yew bow of the type favoured by the locals, partly because they are easy to use in the dense brush of the forest and partly because they can be loaded and shot from inside the houses.
“The Watch!” Marcia sneers “Another waste of time, other places worried about robbers and ruffians just build a wall with a gate, hire a couple of men and call it done.”
Bran slams his door shut in rage and says in a low voice “We are a village of farms, if we built a wall around all the holdings it would be so long that a lord and his company couldn’t guard it proper… And if we gave up our homes and moved inside a palisade two men could protect, we would be wedged in like rabbits in a warren” his voice rising to a crescendo as he finishes with “Well we’re not rabbits, nor sheep beholden to a lordling.. We’re Stags! We claim a patch of ground and defend it. When the warbands come, here they will stop as we will wipe them from the face of the land… How after four and ten years do you not know us!!” Bran takes three strides off his porch and across to the edge of the green, stops, takes a breath and turns back. Then speaking in a calmer and more formal tone says “Daughter-in-Law, I would of asked Rowan to deliver a message but I must entrust you to do so for me. Tell your firstborn that the Men’s Circle agree with him that he is old enough, therefore I shall call for him two hours before dawn… I would have his young eyes stand with me until daylight.” at Marcia’s nod of acquiescence Bran turns away and stalks to the middle of the green, letting out a loud piercing whistle as he goes. From the houses, off the porches and down the paths there comes a group of villagers. Some have beards of grey and white while others can scarcely grow down on their chins, on closer inspection, two are girls just entering into womanhood wearing headscarves and one other is a matronly looking woman of middle age with her hair braided close to her scalp. All are carrying cloaks, bows and weapons and all are garbed as though for a hunt.

Not the end, but an ending.

Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:38 pm Thank you, mate..... I rarely have the nerve to share anything I write, and almost never somewhere this public.
I used to feel the same but now I just write and share as the mood takes me and I know that anyone not interested will just see my name in the Bards stage and can scroll on by.

I really enjoyed it. Please don't hesitate to share more in the future for the world would be a duller place if only those who could sing well sang.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Eofor wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:49 am
ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:38 pm Thank you, mate..... I rarely have the nerve to share anything I write, and almost never somewhere this public.
I used to feel the same but now I just write and share as the mood takes me and I know that anyone not interested will just see my name in the Bards stage and can scroll on by.

I really enjoyed it. Please don't hesitate to share more in the future for the world would be a duller place if only those who could sing well sang.
Thanks mate.... How are you getting on with the other work of fiction I sent you?

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Taylor Steiner wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:24 am Awesome!
Thanks mate

Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:25 pm Thanks mate.... How are you getting on with the other work of fiction I sent you?
Poorly! But only on account of not having begun. That's entirely on me, I've just had so much on my plate lately and I want to relish it and not do it at work or something stupid so I'm waiting for an alone moment in my study with a nice glass of mead.

It's taken the place of the professors translation of 'The battle of Maldon' at the top of my to read list :mrgreen:
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Mead is good for the braincell...... And by coincidence it was written with the aid of honey based alcohol