Boots'n'Stuff

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rurik of Esgaroth
Wayfarer

Boots'n'Stuff

Post by Rurik of Esgaroth »

Cross-posted from the Facebook page -
Mrs Rurik and I visited a reenactment event - Loxwood Joust - yesterday. The first one we've been to in nearly fifteen years. The smell of the woodsmoke, the clash of steel, the bark of hackbutts and even more so catching up with old friends brought all the memories flooding back. The upshot is that I've been bullied 🤣 into going back to the fifteenth century again. One thing I will be needing (a pair...two things?) is boots, and more relevant to this forum I'll be going to an old reenactor colleague for some knee length buckled boots - http://www.philfraser.com/kneeboots.htm
These are a fair copy of turnshoe construction but with an external sole and slight heel. Soles are a bit slippy at first but can be roughed up or modern stick on soles added after purchase. Made to measure and currently £140.
May not be strictly appropriate for Rangers, but for men of Gondor, Rohan or Dale perhaps? And Phil also does other boots/shoes, belts and pouches.
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Boots'n'Stuff

Post by Yavion »

Those boots look really good. Tolkien never said that Strider's boots had buckles, but he never said that they DIDN'T have buckles either. I've been in a somewhat desperate search for custom boots that will fit my odd feet. If you get a pair, please post pics!
Rurik of Esgaroth
Wayfarer

Post by Rurik of Esgaroth »

I contacted Phil, who sadly is now retired. (That's what happens when you're off the scene for so long) But I did find these guys - http://www.re-enactment-shoes.co.uk/ - who do a range of historical footwear, including tall buckled medieval riding boots for £110, which has got to be a bargain. The do ship overseas, but for UK customers they will even send just for the cost of postage, so you can check the fit before paying! Now that's customer service.
I have a pair in brown on back-order - should be about six or seven weeks. I'll post pix and my thoughts when they arrive.
Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Barandir »

Those are actually pretty cool, I’m thinking I might have to get myself a pair here soon as well!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.