New sword soon!

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

A Mayer
Dúnadan

New sword soon!

Post by A Mayer »

Well, I’ve been doing a lot of work with swords lately. I love my messer but it just isn’t Dunedain. It’s a messer, and just never felt quite right on my side. Figuratively. I feel the shorter blades as well as single edged blades are great. But, my blade is pure messer.
So, I’m having a sword made which is almost complete. It’s for the most part a type XVIII arming sword blade with a wood slab handle. Yes, a carry over from the messer, but I love this style of handle. There’s been plenty of discussions on Ranger blades and I hope to have more once I have this in hand.

Hope all are well this season.
Andy
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: New sword soon!

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Nice
Frodo lives!
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Very cool! The concept reminds me of the Ádám Bodorics Thrust and Cut Messer on Kult of Athena.
Found here: https://www.kultofathena.com/product/ad ... ut-messer/
I like how your take has a pommel cap. I can't tell from the sketch, are you including a negal?
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Yavion wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:48 am Very cool! The concept reminds me of the Ádám Bodorics Thrust and Cut Messer on Kult of Athena.
Found here: https://www.kultofathena.com/product/ad ... ut-messer/
I like how your take has a pommel cap. I can't tell from the sketch, are you including a negal?
Hey Yavion,
It does have a pommel cap. It will also have a small nagel. I’ve seen them on non-messer blades and I’ve become a fan of them when fighting.
It should come in at just under 27” on the blade.

I’d love to have a piece from Ádám!
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Hopefully it’s here by the weekend.

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

That is not a Noble blade for great deeds in battle under the bright Sun, that is a necessary tool for desperate bloody work in the dim of the forest and the empty places between where People live.

Nice bit of kit, let us know how she feels and cuts
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:43 pm That is not a Noble blade for great deeds in battle under the bright Sun, that is a necessary tool for desperate bloody work in the dim of the forest and the empty places between where People live.

I feel like I should know that quote. I think it’s gonna be fitting nonetheless. I’ll definitely do a thorough review.
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Do you have the specification yet? I might have missed them. I like the looks of that.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

A Mayer wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:30 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:43 pm That is not a Noble blade for great deeds in battle under the bright Sun, that is a necessary tool for desperate bloody work in the dim of the forest and the empty places between where People live.

I feel like I should know that quote. I think it’s gonna be fitting nonetheless. I’ll definitely do a thorough review.
Errm.... Its out of my head (I think), its inspired by Elleth's description of her sword in This Thread
Elleth wrote: This feels like a brawler’s weapon - not something intended for deeds of song on a bright sunlit battle plain, but rather for the chaotic frenzy under dark trees when fell things draw close.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Beautiful looking blade, nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.