Updated arrow vendors?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Updated arrow vendors?

Post by Barandir »

Hey all! So I have been wanting to get ahold of/possibly build my own more accurately medieval arrows for my kit, and wanted to know what vendors y’all might be using. The vendor listed in the pinned Getting Started post no longer sells on Etsy, so I figured now is a good time to maybe get some new info on vendors for medieval arrows and arrow making supplies from the crowd.
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Re: Updated arrow vendors?

Post by A Mayer »

Hey Barandir,

3rivers is a good shop. Great for fletching choices and most tools and supplies.. Although, if you’re wanting goose feathers, I don’t think they carry those. For shafts I use Douglas Fir. I think they’re more robust and consistent than the cedar. Surewood shafts are the maker and I either go straight to them or Feathers n Wood. But again, you may be wanting ash shafts. I haven’t bought ash since being in Germany.

https://feathersnwood.com/store

Hmmm. Maybe I’m not much help.😉
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Goose feathers are illegal to sell in America. My main archery supplier is 3 Rivers. They have almost everything I need. I have sourced better and cheaper full size fletching from Amazon as I cut my own fletching now. For shafts, I prefer ash over everything else. I really don't like cedar at all and I am kind of baffled why its the preferred wood. Forrester makes some fantastic hardwood shafts but they can be pricy. I think they are very much worth it.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:02 am Goose feathers are illegal to sell in America.
Really?

Why??

Its not like its a CITES issue
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:59 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:02 am Goose feathers are illegal to sell in America.
Really?

Why??

Its not like its a CITES issue
I get it but you will not find them on commercial sites for sale. This is bantered back and forth on archery sites all over the place. I have friends that cruise the parks here and collect goose feathers and use them. I have a bag my wife collected for me. They are not supposed to be sold and can cause issues if some one wants really be a jerk. "The possession of feathers and other parts of native North American birds without a permit is prohibited by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA). This protects wild birds by preventing their killing by collectors and the commercial trade in their feathers, and extends to all feathers, regardless of how they were obtained. There is no exemption for molted feathers or those taken from road- or window-killed birds. More information on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and the list of MBTA-protected species can be found here."
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh. That shouldn't affect domestic fowl though. I had a ton of Toulouse feathers from our last geese flock at one point, and they looked lovely for fletching. Made nice quills, too. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Elleth wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:13 pm Hunh. That shouldn't affect domestic fowl though. I had a ton of Toulouse feathers from our last geese flock at one point, and they looked lovely for fletching. Made nice quills, too. :mrgreen:
I agree, I am just saying you cant sell them. I don't think its illegal to use, just sell. That's why there is so much turkey sold here. I have even heard its ok to import from UK.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Except that turkey is a native North American bird, so there must be exceptions. I always understood that certain birds were considered livestock, and it was therefore permissible to both sell and use their feathers - and this would also include legally hunted birds like goose and wild turkey. But I have also found over the last few years that there certainly does seem to be a lack of solid consensus out there about the exact margins of these laws here in the U.S.

***EDIT*** I am inquiring with an ornithologist friend here in CO who will almost certainly be able to answer this question in great detail! She practices falconry and is actively involved with a number of scientific and conservationist efforts regarding birds, so she should have a pretty comprehensive knowledge of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and what it means to folks like us.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Manveruon wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:05 am Except that turkey is a native North American bird, so there must be exceptions. I always understood that certain birds were considered livestock, and it was therefore permissible to both sell and use their feathers - and this would also include legally hunted birds like goose and wild turkey. But I have also found over the last few years that there certainly does seem to be a lack of solid consensus out there about the exact margins of these laws here in the U.S.
That's how I understand it, its an iffy topic so most just don't use them. like I said I have a friend that collects them and he uses them for his arrows. I am not ready to split my own fletching so I just get full size turkey. The grey died ones look just like goose.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, so she has gotten back to me and confirmed:
- Yes, it is fine to use the feathers of birds you have legally hunted.
- Yes, it is fine to be given those feathers to use, or to give them to someone else to use.
- No, technically it is not okay to use foraged feathers, even if they are from a legal game bird, but this is rarely enforced with a lot of enthusiasm, and in truth it is nearly impossible to actually do so. In other words, you probably shouldn’t do it - but if you do, know that you do so at your own risk.
- Yes it is fine to use feathers from domestically raised geese and other game birds.
- YES it is fine to SELL and/or BUY feathers from domestically raised geese and other game birds.
- However, there just aren’t a very large number of people raising domestic geese in the U.S. because there’s little demand for them, which is why their feathers can indeed be difficult to buy here, whereas turkey feathers are plentiful.

Whew - I think that about covers it! Hope that helps!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

Manveruon wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:04 am Okay, so she has gotten back to me and confirmed:
- Yes, it is fine to use the feathers of birds you have legally hunted.
- Yes, it is fine to be given those feathers to use, or to give them to someone else to use.
- No, technically it is not okay to use foraged feathers, even if they are from a legal game bird, but this is rarely enforced with a lot of enthusiasm, and in truth it is nearly impossible to actually do so. In other words, you probably shouldn’t do it - but if you do, know that you do so at your own risk.
- Yes it is fine to use feathers from domestically raised geese and other game birds.
- YES it is fine to SELL and/or BUY feathers from domestically raised geese and other game birds.
- However, there just aren’t a very large number of people raising domestic geese in the U.S. because there’s little demand for them, which is why their feathers can indeed be difficult to buy here, whereas turkey feathers are plentiful.

Whew - I think that about covers it! Hope that helps!
Very cool thank you.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Looks like I opened a can of worms there.

I'm English and I don't have that problem....... I can't get goose feathers easily either though.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Wilhelm
Dúnadan

Post by Wilhelm »

I wouldn't say a can of worms. That was good information passed along. The information here is very vague about goose feathers.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The reason Turkey Feathers and Geese feathers are handled differently is because Geese in North America are, by and large, not considered game birds, though there are some seasons in specific areas and conditions. They're migratory birds, and thus protected by the aforementioned Act, whereas Turkeys are non-migratory upland game birds.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm
I'm English and I don't have that problem....... I can't get goose feathers easily either though.

ask a farmer who keeps geese (or someone who shoots them if you want the wild goose colors - but for this you only have until the end of January if I remember correctly), that worked for me a few years ago when I wanted some
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.