Elladan and Elrohir: Rangers?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Elladan and Elrohir: Rangers?

Post by mg2Arnor »

Given that the sons of Elrond were usually hunting in the wild alongside the Rangers of the North, would it be totally inappropriate to conjecture about and possibly build a kit based on Elladan or Elrohir?
Calenthir - Dunedain Ranger of the late 3rd Age
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: Elladan and Elrohir: Rangers?

Post by Eofor »

For various reasons I'm not keen on portrayals of named characters but I do like the line of thinking that beyond the brothers there may be other Elvish allies who ride alongside the Rangers.

My only reservation is that when the call to war comes it is only those two who ride with the grey company and one would think that if there were more war minded elves then they would have joined that expedition.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

I can see how this idea could be off-putting to the nature of the forum. It's not building an original, unique character in the world of Middle Earth. For myself, it is definitely an idea that is specifically tied to just Elladan and Elrohir, as they are quite singular in how their nature is portrayed in Tolkien's work. And despite the title I gave to this topic thread, I just want to make it clear that I am not actually suggesting that they were - or should be - called Rangers in their own right. I just think that it might be fun to consider what their kit might look like, as they serve in a similar manner and function in the story as the Rangers.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

The concept of an elven ranger is not unreasonable. Beleg Strongbow and his company of March Wardens protected Doriath in just that way.

Granted that's 6000 years before the War of the Ring.
But the idea is not foreign to the elves.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

So not inconceivable to meet an Elven 'Warden' then? * I've had a bit of a story kicking about in my head that centres on just such a thing

A Challenge for the house. Write the rest of this joke..... "A Ranger, a Warden and and Fellsward walk into a tavern....."

* Assuming they want to meet you..... If you'd had a thousand years or so to practice stealth in the woods, nobody is just going to come across you
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'd think that such a persona would be more in keeping with Mirkwood, in that they clearly had a significant sentry force watching the paths of the forests, and seemed to be a large population. At the end of the day, Elrond's people live in a HOUSE, not in a "Hold", a "Keep", a "City", "Castle", or other such significant dwelling...so Eldrond's people can't number in the thousands. I'm sure there's a reckoning somewhere.

With that in mind, though Elladan and Elrohir may not have been exclusive to their habits of wandering, they probably weren't two of many.

Sounds like an interesting project!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:35 am For various reasons I'm not keen on portrayals of named characters

True, but it has been done (Manveruon and his incredible screen accurate Strider impression)

mg2Arnor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:16 am I just think that it might be fun to consider what their kit might look like, as they serve in a similar manner and function in the story as the Rangers.

I've always been surprised that we haven't ever really seen an elven persona or impression on this forum, that is unless there is one that I just haven't come across? It would be an interesting kit to see, and if anyone would be that way inclined I'm sure there is room in the legendarium to create such a character

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:18 pm A Challenge for the house. Write the rest of this joke..... "A Ranger, a Warden and and Fellsward walk into a tavern....."
...Sounds kinda almost like Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:18 pm

A Challenge for the house. Write the rest of this joke..... "A Ranger, a Warden and and Fellsward walk into a tavern....."

and they get into a fight over who's going to sit with his back to the wall with a view of the door.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Peter Remling wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:28 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:18 pm

and they get into a fight over who's going to sit with his back to the wall with a view of the door.
Thats funny....... Because its so true
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Iodo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:16 pm
Eofor wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:35 am For various reasons I'm not keen on portrayals of named characters

True, but it has been done (Manveruon and his incredible screen accurate Strider impression)

mg2Arnor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:16 am I just think that it might be fun to consider what their kit might look like, as they serve in a similar manner and function in the story as the Rangers.

I've always been surprised that we haven't ever really seen an elven persona or impression on this forum, that is unless there is one that I just haven't come across? It would be an interesting kit to see, and if anyone would be that way inclined I'm sure there is room in the legendarium to create such a character

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:18 pm A Challenge for the house. Write the rest of this joke..... "A Ranger, a Warden and and Fellsward walk into a tavern....."
...Sounds kinda almost like Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli
My persona is elven, but a combination of poor health and low funds means that it's still in the concept phase.
I'll see if I can bat my eyelashes at the spouse and get some concept art to illustrate what I'm currently thinking of.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Yavion wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:09 pm My persona is elven, but a combination of poor health and low funds means that it's still in the concept phase.
I'll see if I can bat my eyelashes at the spouse and get some concept art to illustrate what I'm currently thinking of.
Some art would be cool to see :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:16 pm
I didn't say that it cant be done or can't be done well just that I myself am not a huge fan. Perhaps if everyone went to Manvs lengths of research and effort I may warm more to the idea.
Iodo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:16 pm I've always been surprised that we haven't ever really seen an elven persona or impression on this forum,
Again, speaking for myself of course but I'm far too broken down to portray an ethereal ageless being. I suspect that's part of the problem.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Iodo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:12 pm
Yavion wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:09 pm My persona is elven, but a combination of poor health and low funds means that it's still in the concept phase.
Some art would be cool to see :P
Done and DONE!
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

Well, as it happens Eofor, I am no spring chicken either LOL. But I hope that I can put forth something that is based on extensive citations and research. I am looking to build a specific depiction of Elladan in his hunting/ranger garb such as he might have worn at the time of Frodo's arrival in Rivendell - so prior to going to war with the Grey Company. I am going to shoot for textual and historical influence mainly, and to stay away from artistic styles that may have come from the movies. I hope to share some design sketches soon, and then get to crafting. As always, I appreciate the input from this community.
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

While not detailed, I thought I might share this early doodle of where my mind currently goes when thinking about clothing design for Elladan.
ElladanDesignIdea.jpg
ElladanDesignIdea.jpg (2.28 KiB) Viewed 2005 times