New Big Clothing Project!

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: New Big Clothing Project!

Post by Greg »

HOLYCAPTAINKITUPDATE, BATAN!

In my efforts to put together appropriate winter clothing, I have nearly missed winter entirely. That being said, I'm driving an hour to Placerville in a week to the snow for my last chance to wear a crap-ton of wool this season.

I got hold of a nice pile of wool blankets last week, and proceeded to go buck wild. There are divots in two of the finingers on my right hand from pulling on a sewing needle. EVerything you're about to see was hand-stitched in a period of three days. I'm bleeding from my eyes.

For starters we have a wool undercoat. Extremely simple, extremely cheap.

Next, the Linen Surcoat I made forever ago that looked ridiculous before I made my jerkin and the rest of this stuff, in my humble opinion.

Next layer up is a green wool overshirt inspired by the one I bought from Ron Laclair, and proceeded to return because it, a medium, was massive on me, and they don't have any smalls in stock. So I said to heck with buying stuff.

And now, one of my pride-and-joy projects, over a year in the making (involving many months of zero productivity), my maille shirt! No, I didn't forget a patch on the left sleeve...an orc took a swing and almost got my arm.

Next layer is my jerkin, which is nearing completion. It's still awaiting dye and lacing, but I added 2 layers of thicker leather over the left shoulder to protect my shoulder from a red-tailed hawk in the near future.

And then, to top it all off, some gear to show how it all sits and how it looks when, um..."full", I suppose. Only things missing above the waist are my dagger, my wate bottle, and my bedroll.

Aaaaand a side shot:

The cloak in this photo is my short half-circle, which I'm thinking about adding about 8" of wool onto the bottom. I also made a full-length 100% wool grey cloak this week that doesn't yet have a clasp. I took Ken's advice on that one, and made a rectangle cloak so I can use it easily as a shelter as well as a blanket, even when I'm wearing it, something I can't do with my 1/2 circle.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Wow the complete set altogether looks great. I really like it all and cant wait to see the field pics.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

That's looking quite good, Greg. Excellent work!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great job, Greg! You continue to inspire!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Anorwen

Post by Anorwen »

yes, it looks very good :).

but is ist enough for winter, to have just one long-sleeved layer on? what about sewing the linen surcoat sides together (if I see it well and it is open at the sides) and set some long sleeves in?

oh, the jerkin ist just perfect ;)
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Looking Good Greg!
David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by David »

Leapin' Leptons, Batman, That's awesome! :shock: Great work Greg, it looks really nice!
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Anorwen wrote:but is ist enough for winter, to have just one long-sleeved layer on? what about sewing the linen surcoat sides together (if I see it well and it is open at the sides) and set some long sleeves in?
I actually wear a cotton long-sleeved tunic underneath all of that normally...I just didn't put it on for the photos.

The surcoat, I've thought about sewing the sides together, but since I wear it over different amounts of layers, it needs to be quite adjustable, and I don't want to have to lace up the sides of too many layers when I'm getting dressed. Having it open and unsewn/laced makes it easy to wear in various configurations as well as helping to keep me mobile. Less seams makes it move more freely. Function first! :D

Thanks for the input, everyone! My new bracers should be finished in another few days (finally!)
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.