Personal Goals

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Personal Goals

Post by Greg »

We've all got something we want to get out of this little hobby of ours. Many of us are in it for the sake of having a new distraction from our day job. Many of us are in love with the Lore of this mysterious land, and are in it for the study. Many of us like the artistic concepts Tolkien laid out, and are thus interested in crafting appropriate gear for this new world. Still others are in it for the sake of being something we're not during our day job; for the sake of getting away and living in a new way, to test themselves and such. I'm sure there are many more.

Regardless of WHY you're in this, let's talk about what we want to get out of it. What do you want to accomplish as a ranger? We've had discussions on why we're in it before, but I assure you that's not my intent here. Do you have any goals as a ranger? What do you want to see? Where do you want to go? What skills do you want to develop? Do you want to reach a certain level of prowess with a particular weapon? Do you want to be able to leave your home with nothing but water, seasonings, and tools, being able to live completely off the land? What are you striving towards?

I, personally, am all about the trekking. I have a workable kit, but one of my chief goals is to have a fully functional kit that allows me to brave nearly any kind of weather, so that I can be out there trekking. To do that, I still have a ways to go, mostly in the water repelling department, but I'm working on it. However, this isn't really my ultimate goal.

Ultimately, I wish to defeat the pass of cahadras and reach Durin's tower in Ranger kit. And by that, I mean I want to summit the 14k foot Mount Whitney in Central California. There's a clear trail, and no oxygen tanks are needed, so it's completely doable. Some things, such as my sword, would most likely not be able to join me on the journey for legal reasons, but apart from that, I think it's very doable. I'll most likely plan to do it in the spring one of these years so as to be able to do it when there's still a fair amount of snow, but to avoid doing it in zero-degree weather for the sake of my sanity. I actually have a job prospect near Yosemite that may cause Lori and I to move down in that direction, which would make the trip even more likely to happen.
So tell us...what do YOU hope to pull off? What do YOU strive towards?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Personal Goals

Post by Willrett »

I have several reasons for doing this and they all go to the ultimate goal of a better, happier, smarter, and healthier me.

I really am looking forward to warmer weather so I can start hiking. As the trips progress I hope to get more of my kit with each trip. During each of the treks I plan on working on all my skills, including finding a new plant from my field guide I'm buying.

I plan on continuing to shoot my bow as much as possible to become the best archer possible. With the bow I will get into fletching and arrow making, and later down the road bow and quiver making. That will be my skill.

I want to be able to survive with nothing buy the tools and weapons that I have. My bow will be my main weapon but later I want to be proficient with a sword, ax, knives, and staff.

I my add and update my response once I think on it some more.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

My ultimate goals in Rangering are to:

--to someday go on a weeklong Ranger trek with almost entirely period gear (except for my boot soles and water filter), not quitting regardless of weather.
--to someday hike the Hundred-Mile Wilderness stretch of the Appalachian Trail using mostly period gear.
--to someday be proficient enough at archery to get a Bowhunting license, and to bring down a whitetail using only period equipment

Will I ever achieve any of these? I don't know. My Ranger treks thus far have never lasted more than three days, and tend to involve several instances of "cheating" (aluminum canoes, GORP, etc.). And I'm still working on my grouping in archery, and don't have a strong enough bow yet (still working with a 30#). So I've got a ways to go towards either goal.

But that's what makes it fun, isn't it?
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Greg

Post by Greg »

Chris, you've reminded me one one of my biggest goals, so I figured I should throw it in here too.

I want to be able to not only go on a trek relying on virtually no modern equipment, but to be able to supply my own food for myself, bringing along a minimal supply such as a little dried meat and some rice or something else to simply augment my wild diet. The sources could be anything from edible plant collection to fishing to trapping to hunting to falconry (preferably a varied combination of all of the above.) I currently plan for and expect myself to fail at fishing, hunting, and plant collection, so I pack enough food for the whole time I'll be gone so I know I'll be able to eat. I want to know my area well enough that I'll at the very least have a good chance at catching fish, know where the wild edible plants in the area can be found and know how to cook them, and be able to produce quarry for my bird to kill for the two of us plus the dog. If the bird isn't successful, so be it, but I want to at least know I'll be able to give him/her an opportunity.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Similar to Chris and Greg in many respects. Although I hike and camp and I already hunt and fish, I would love to do a long distance trek in full Ranger kit. That is a goal. Getting healthier, teaching my son all the skills, boosting confidence etc. All goals.

Fortunately the doing and learning is also major fun.

An awesome hobby, indeed.

Siani
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Siani wrote: An awesome hobby, indeed.

Siani
Best. Hobby. Ever.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

I have always love medieval weapons, especially the sword and bow. i have been hooked on middle earth since the first time i read the hobbit. my goal is to become as best a ranger as i can be, while looking forward to being able to get together with fellow rangers,hopefully soon :) for fellow ship with others who share the same intrest as i do,and to learn all i can from my fellows.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

:shock: Wow greg, beautiful Moutain you have there...Don't have any Mountains near me. Good luck with your trek, when you do it.

As for my goal, I would say, to finish my Ranger based fan film. but it seems like I'm never going to get there, I have had to re-script the film twice, and as usal money is a major factor, I only have £200. And lack of actors......Oh and just to add to that a *very reliable* editing PC. Thankfully I have a very kind and helpful family!

-Chris
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Personally I feel like I'm just playing now. :cry: My attempts to get out and learn have all been thwarted somehow or another.
Archery? HA! (Now tell me again, which end of the arrow do you nock on the string?)
Swordsmanship? Oooo pretty! OUCH!!! That thing can cut you!
Woodcraft? Well, yeah I can use a tablesaw.
Herblore? Um, Eric? You didn't really eat that did you? (Emergency room visit immediately follows.)

Well, you get the idea. I've got a very long way to go. So before the warmer weather sets in, I need to set some realistic goals and start to work on them asap.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Waugh23

Post by Waugh23 »

Nice and interesting post! I think this is really good for all and i like to know more about personal goal.I think that there is many points are considered as a good point of life. Your post really help many ways for all users.Thanks for this.
Greg

Post by Greg »

We're thrilled that you are so thankful for all of our posts, but please...feel free to post something constructive. We're far more receptive of people who add information to the discussion than we are of people who simply tell us how cool we are. Jump in!

Granted, I'm all for a little ego stroking, but seriously...
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Um, yeah....throwing out the 5,000 word post about how cool Greg is...lol
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

You could always just send it to me...I won't tell ;)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Greg wrote:You could always just send it to me...I won't tell ;)
If I send it to you, then it's just stalking :lol:
Sam

Post by Sam »

Are you sure he's not an orc of some kind...?