Belt bag

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Belt bag

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Here are some pics of a belt bag I I cut out and stitched up last night using kens sporran link as a rough guide, its not finished yet but I wanted to see what you guys think, the bag is 7 1/2" wide X 6 1/2" deep the strap between the panels is 1 1/4" wide and the suspension loops are sewn with an X stitch and measure 2 " wide X 3 1/2" long.
Attachments
043000951054[01].jpg
043000951054[01].jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 11526 times
043000951054[00].jpg
043000951054[00].jpg (78.88 KiB) Viewed 11526 times
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
kaelln

Re: Belt bag

Post by kaelln »

Looks good! What are you planning to use for closure?
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thanks Kaelin. And for closure maybe an antler tip and leather thong
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

It looks great! Good job, ranger!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Many thanks Ken 8) Heres the bag over half way complete the closure is a small white tail antler tip and a cowhide square sewed on the flap to run the thong through to loop and tie around the antler. I still want to edge the flap but that can wait a bit.
Attachments
043000951803[00].jpg
043000951803[00].jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 11505 times

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

At first i was going to say forget the edging, it looks good as she is, but I took a second look and the edging will make it stand out more. Great job.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I really like that knife in the one pic! Where'd ya get it? :lol:

No, seriously, the bag looks really good. It inspires me to finish the couple of haversacks I started on last month.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Yeah, I wouldnt take a million dollars for my wolfs claw 8)

Pete, I've got a strip of deerskin soaking in some walnut hull dye as we speak and I've turned the house upside down looking for my white thread. :lol: So yeah, the edging is a go as soon as I can find my thread :mrgreen:

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

very nice. i like the look of the belt and knife as well. very simple, very rugged.
what were you planning on storing in the pouch?
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Many thanks, Frothgar. Simple and rugged is the name of the game for me, unfortunately, an artisan, I'm decidely not :lol: Right now the only thing in the bag is a swedish fire steel, but a small sewing and fishing kit is definitely in order as well as a whetstone and of course my pipe weed AKA cigarettes :lol: and a bit of dried meat, basically whatever I might need at the time.

as for the knife shes been a very good companion on alot of adventures, Eric forged her and I made the pouch sheath shes riding in. Thank you again for the kind words.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Thats a nice little belt bag, I might have ago at making one
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

Well I've finished my belt bag (get pics up when I can) But I can't seem to find a way of making a fastening, does anyone have any ideas? It needs to be simple so its easy to open, yet also strong some my bits won't fall out!

I throught of a button, as buttons are period. As long as there wood (I stain white ones!) But I'm not sure....