My first attempt at a Ruck-Sack & Belt Bag

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

My first attempt at a Ruck-Sack & Belt Bag

Post by Elegost »

Well I've had a lovely weekend, I have been very busy with making a belt bag and large ruck-sack-type-thing, Anyway these are the first things I've sewn myself as my Mum has kindly been teaching me how to sew, as only being 18 I've never learned before now.

I know there not very neat but for me thats special as I'm a begginer Ranger, I'm still learning ect. Pictures:
RANGER BAG (2).JPG
RANGER BAG (2).JPG (198.25 KiB) Viewed 7977 times
RANGER BAG (3).JPG
RANGER BAG (3).JPG (62.89 KiB) Viewed 7977 times
This is a leather shoulder strap to stop the rope from rubbing my shoulder
RANGER BAG (4).JPG
RANGER BAG (4).JPG (39.86 KiB) Viewed 7977 times
Thanks for Looking,

-Chris
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: My first attempt at a Ruck-Sack & Belt Bag

Post by Peter Remling »

Looking good Chris:

Could you take a pic of how the straps attach to the bag itself?
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Learning is what it's all about! The rucksack looks as if it was originally another item; perhaps a coat that you have repurposed? I love the idea of repurposing items that might have otherwise sat in a closet or gone into the bin. Keep 'em coming!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Chris, you done some fine work there! 8)
I especially like the closure you used on the
bag and ruck. As far as "neat" goes thats beside
the point, you used the material at hand to get
your project from start to finish, having never made
the items before and came out with two useful
pieces of kit...Thats neat! Well done, young master!! 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Great looking stuff, I like both bags. I would like to see how you have the loop on the belt bag to secure it on the belt.

Great work.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Very very nice! I like the bag! What all do you have in that thing? It looks big enough to carry a hobbit in 8) and I will warn you that you will keep making things. Once you start, you can't stop 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elegost »

Thankyou for the comments everyone!, Peter, the straps are not anything special, I just made a hole in the old bean bag and tided a larg knot on the inside.

Its full of my spare change of clothes, but yes I't proberly could fit a hobbit in! :lol:

I see what you mean Mirimaran! Already I am stiching around the edges of the shoulder straps to make them neater, and a bit more stiffer.

As for the belt bag Willrett, I just cut two thin slot's (the width of the belt in question) and then slid it through.

Thanks again for the encoragement, I hope to improve my skills with lots of practice!

-Chris