Mounted Archery

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Mounted Archery

Post by hesinraca »

This is a follow up from my post about bows.

Not sure what the group in Europe is called, but the Horseback Archery Association of the Americas covers both north and south america.

The Pacific Horde Mounted Archery group in Bend OR, USA is run by Holm Neuman, and there is a clip here of the competition I helped at last summer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nLH5-dHaIk
The second rider is Holm Neuman himself, and the third is my dear friend Katie on the lightning bolt arab mare Tasha. The first rider was a guest from the east coast, and the fourth is another young student under Holm. Fifht rider is another young student from Hong Kong, and sixth is his father.

Teams so far I know of are: Korean, Hong Kong, Britian, Germany, USA, France, and I believe Japan.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Cedric, very nice video. Could you give us some stats of the size of the course ?

By the way, Welcome Aboard !
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

horseback archery is done traditionally on a 90 meter course for Hungarian style and 120 for Korean. THat one shown is 150meters. THere is standard side on course where there are 3-5 targets about 15 meters straight to the side of the run, and there is the Korean(I believe) course that has three targets at center with one side on, one at a 45 degree angle towards the start and one at a 45 degree towards the end, which means you take one shot over the front of the horse, one over side, and one back shot.

For those of you that ride, you do a two point posting sit to keep yourself off the bumpy part of the gallop. Directions are primarily leg reigning, and such. There's also a semi-expieremental "combat course" in bend that is curved and turns around trees and such with targets at all sides to simulate archery in close combat.

The Pacific Mounted Horde is hosting a horseback archery clinic this summer, September 11th-14th in Bend Oregon, USA. If anyone is interested in flying out there to take it and even some additional lessons if you want, let me know and I'll get you in contact with the boss;)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com