Stupid question.

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Stupid question.

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

OK, I have a problem: I have a 1" thick board I need it cut to a 1/2" thickness and it is slightly warped....I really dont want to butcher this thing with a skil saw and thats all I have to work with other than a jig saw..... I've had this board laid back for awhile but as it stands I cant use it. Its about 6.5" wide and 40" long. any advice?
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Stupid question.

Post by Peter Remling »

The best ting I can think of is to make a jig. Useing a piece of 3/4" plywood and a narrower 1/2' piece of wood. Create a backed framework (jig) for your 1" piece of wood. Clamp the piece to be cut in the jig and use the outside of the frame as a guide. Useing the Skill saw trim it to close to the 1/2"' mark, take it out of the jig and finish the rest with a rasp or sander.

What are you making? a scabbard for the new sword?
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Thanks Pete!! yeah, I want to attempt a scabbard for the sword. Thats a great idea and I could re use the jig 8) This will be great till I finally get a band saw.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'd say, if you don't need it cut in half, but rather need ONE piece that's 1/2" thick, I'd say go find a friend with a planer.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.