Something I'd forgotten

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Something I'd forgotten

Post by Peter Remling »

As many of you know, My plan to do a video has taken up a good deal of my time. Writing a script (then rewriting, did I mention more rewriting), designing and making props, altering existing items to use as props and finding buying or altering costumes. Well I was just up in the attic looking for a particular cloak and I stumbled upon something I did about 15 years ago and had forgotten.

Almost 18 years I got into a habit of making shields (well you can't just have one), I made a Bayeux shiled for my SCA personna, a few heaters, some round shields and a few other shapes. Now I like symmetry, so it should be little surprise that I enjoyed making round shields the most. They offered a variety of artistic appliications so I did rimmed shields, unrimmed shields, shields with bosses, shields without and leather covered ones. I currently have well over 20 and that's not including the ones I've given away. Obsessive/Compulsive? well maybe a little!

I then thought if I can leather cover a shield I can do some brass tacking (similar to a Scottish targ wothout the raised leather). So I cut out a piece of plywood, countersunk carriage bokts for the strapping, leather covered it and then proceeded to draw out my design on graph paper. I then (useing the graph paper as a guide) made small holes in the leather where the tacks were to go. Removing the paper, I then tapped/glued in my tacks and came up with the shield in the first pic.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure927.jpg

That one became my favorite shield and it has gone to more events than all the others combined. However I didn't stop there, I made two more brass tacked shield, one I gave to my brother for a Christmas present and the other is the next one pictured. Mind you this one has been sitting forgotten up in the attic for at least 15 years.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure922.jpg

Guess what's going to find it's way into the video as a prop?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Something I'd forgotten

Post by Greg »

THE CHAIR!!!

Great work, as always! Where'd you get those brass tacks? They look gorgeous on those leather covers...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

They used to be found in any Hardware store or dept. Now people don't repair they replace so it's very difficult to find the unadorned ones. Some surviving Mom and Pop Hardware Stores can order them or you can try some Sutler Shops. Some reenactors use them to decorate hawks and rifle stocks.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Amazing stuff, as always! You really are an artist!
Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elegost »

Beautiful shield design! well done
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Nice work. How about some dimensions for those of us who may be interested in doing it ourselves. Diameter? Thickness? I've got some wood laying around that might look good as a shield.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

The star shield is about 24" in diameter and the vortex shield about 22". They are made from old stockroom shelves that were being thrown out so they are a little thick at 3/4". Most of the shields I have are 3/4" due to the free material, although I do have about 4 that are 1/2".