WMA Study Group on Long Island

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

WMA Study Group on Long Island

Post by mcapanelli »

Hello all,

I'm not sure if I've posted this here before but I can't find it so here goes..... I run a WMA study group and would like to extend an open invitation to any and all of you. We're located in Melville, NY and meet about every Saturday at around noon at West Hills Park in Melville on Sweet Hollow Road. We have new people coming in and some returning students from college so we'll be covering basic swordsmanship for the next month. We start with Longsword but will cover single handed variations as well as spear, dagger, and unarmed combat. If interested just give me a buzz at 631-880-0337 and leave a message.

Blessings,
Michael
Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Just a bump for my little group. Our summer people have gone back to College and we're in need of winter training partners. Focus is now on Italian Longsword, Sword and buckler, and cut and thrust. I'm hoping to work some of the Meyer messer playes in to but I have yet to find a suitable training Grosse Messer. We'll also be changing locations to Smithtown, LI.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Really wish I could join you, but Louisburg, NC to Long Island is quite a commute. :( I could really use a study group in my area. I'm just playing around with it at the present, but I'm hoping to fashion a waster out of some oak, or some purpleheart once we are settled into the house and I can get to my woodworking tools. I'm pretty anxious to get started, but all spare time is spent getting this house straight.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Just a bump and some news I want to share. If all goes well we'll be an official study group of Scola St. George. And Eric, I have a waster that needs to have the cross guard glued back on. If i was handy I'd run a dowel through it for added strength. If your will ing to foot the shipping I'd give her to you. Let me know man.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Let me know the shipping and I'll be glad to pay it. But I'll have to wait until next Friday as the Mortgage has to be paid this week. I'd love to give her a new home.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I was wondering who I said I'd give that waster to. I just came here to bump this thread and there it was. Send my your address via PM and the shipping's on me. Consider it a Christmas present. And as for the study group it looks like next Saturday we'll be meeting again as most of the group has come home for winter break. If anyone want's to come down the invite as always is open.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

:lol: I needed a good chuckle this afternoon. I can't say much lately about sending things to people. I owe several people things that I have promised, or that they have loaned me.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Well it's that time of year again. We'll be starting up again in May for anyone interested in studying HEMA within shouting distance of Long Island. We'll start off with the longsword and move through the weapons and see where we end up by summers end. I'd like to cover Messer and dagger this year as well as set the foundation for sword and buckler and some single sword work. We're also covering Meyer this year in depth for the first time. If you have an interest and are able to come down just PM me here with locations and times. As always all are welcome.

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
~Mike~
Winter is coming
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

If I had gear and it wasnt so far away I would be in. I wish I had somthing like that around here.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I may be able to drop in for a single session with you all sometime during the last two weeks of July or first week of august, amongst my documentary road trip thinguhmajig.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Ill check the book and see whats going on and I will have to see if I actually have anything by then. Maybe we could meet closer to Pwyll if he is interested since him and I are only about 2 hours apart.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Well it goes without saying that your all always welcomed. As far as equipment is concerned we always have a spare sword or two hanging around. And we take turns with the fencing masks and Gambasons as not everyone in the group can afford that stuff.
Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Re: WMA Study Group on Long Island

Post by mcapanelli »

BTTT for this thread. We'll be in full swing sometime in June with about 6 to 8 members in all. For those of you without any training equipment we always have some to lend so don't let that stop you.
Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Bumping this to the top. This has become a serious venture now. Anyone whom is interested in training now's the time to join. Pretty soon I'll have an announcement about this being more than just a little study group.
Winter is coming
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I don't know if I mentioned it before to you but I was born and raised in Babylon Met my ex wife in Smithtown and went to school in Stoney Brook.
I sure miss LI!
I have lots of friends and family there still, if I am ever back visiting I will be sure to look you up!
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: