Primitive Fishing Kit

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Primitive Fishing Kit

Post by Greg »

There are four books in that series, that I'm aware of. Hatchet, Brian's Winter, The River, and Brian's Return. Fond memories of my childhood spent in the pages of those books.

Refraction is a big issue. Get a bowfishing rig, and you learn how to deal with it (or fail miserably) in short order. Not period at all, but super-fun. Carp are your best bet for any kind of spearfishing...they grow big enough to be speared more easily, and stay close enough to the surface to be seen routinely.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Another great author of a non fictional series is D.C. Beard, co founder of the Boy Scouts and very engaging writer from the turn of the last century. My Grandpa actualy knew him, and I swear Beard was writing most of his stuff about him because it was all the same stuff Gramps was teaching me as a boy!
(Maybe he just read the books well, but it was so ingrained in him that somehow I doubt it)

The two books I have now (and are almost worn out) are the American Boy's Handybook which has lots on hunting and food gathering that can be done without actual weapons (and believe me they work!) And the other is The Book of Camp-Lore and Wood Craft.

He has written many others, but if you read these two books you will answer many of your questions plus a whole lot more. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Aaron »

Greg wrote:There are four books in that series, that I'm aware of. Hatchet, Brian's Winter, The River, and Brian's Return. Fond memories of my childhood spent in the pages of those books.

Refraction is a big issue. Get a bowfishing rig, and you learn how to deal with it (or fail miserably) in short order. Not period at all, but super-fun. Carp are your best bet for any kind of spearfishing...they grow big enough to be speared more easily, and stay close enough to the surface to be seen routinely.
There's a fifth one, too. Brian's Hunt.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Holy smokes. My world just spun in a circle of glee. TO THE CHILDREN'S SECTION, HUZZAH!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.