Maille

How to use various parts of the Middle Earth Ranger's Forums & Galleries.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Maille

Post by Eledhwen »

I figure since I am working on the arrows I might as well add some other projects into the mix here and maybe encourage others to get going on it...if only to illustrate an easier way than I have. ;). This particular sub-forum has been empty for too long and given the expertise we hear about and see evidence of, that is a shame.

I have a lot of punched maille rings and tiny rivets for them. Round wire, not flat, of sixteen gauge 5/16ths manufacture. I have oh, some 40-50 thousand rings, so not terribly bad. Working on this stuff has been slow since my eyesight and the ability to manipulate rivets that small for long periods of time are neither what they used to be. Age does that to people.

Still, I also have a full hauberk of butted sixteen gauge maille, same diameter. I am about to start replacing, slowly, the butted with riveted rings. The under arm gussets already have some of this done and it is a less daunting thing than going a whole cloth shirt. I have made maille for 35 years or so and the tedium is well known to me.

That said, a short look at maille and riveting and the tools involved cannot hurt.

Pictures to come a little later on.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!