Hello there!

Stuff that relates to the running of the forums, and not to Ranger reenactment.
Alethanir

Hello there!

Post by Alethanir »

Greetings.

I figure it's always a good idea to introduce one's self and seeing as I've been lurking around here for years and have finally plucked up the courage to do this.

So yes, Alethanir is the name I go by for this sort of a thing and I come from Kent in England. (The bottom right corner near France.) As far as I'm aware it's not the best place to be into this sort of thing as there is no way to walk around this part of the world with full gear due to those pesky things called laws. That said Kent pattern axes are readily available so that is a plus.

I've done a fit bit of making garb and equipment, such as the Urthgard inspired quiver over the past 5 years and a while ago I walked with a friend in as much of it as we could gather into the west and made it all the to Southampton about 100 miles over the hills in four days and that's the most ranging thing I've done.

I was wondering if there's a lot of Brits around here and if so how they go about their ranging, seeing as wild camping is illegal in this neck of the woods and just for other general tips and tricks.

Anyway, that's enough for now, so yes, hello there!
Last edited by Alethanir on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harper
Haeropada

Re: Hello there!

Post by Harper »

Hello, Ranger!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Welcome!

Wow! 100 miles in four days is no small thing! Very cool. :)
Any fun tips or stories to share?

Gosh it must be frustrating to actually be in Britain. On the one hand so close to the country and history that inspired the good professor.. on the other so many crowds and laws. :(
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Alethanir

Post by Alethanir »

One does get some odd looks from the populace but it isn't entirely unheard of to seen medievally dressed people in the South of England. There's an old pilgrimage route to Canterbury in Kent and at the other end of where I was going is Stonehenge and it was just before the summer solstice when the druids go, though most of the people going these days are just going for a party.

I do have the odd story but probably nothing on you lot and as far as tips go I suppose that's why I'm here, to learn, but if I had to give one it would probably be learn how to sleep in a tree. It makes bedding down for the night much easier (particularly in England) when you can be neatly tucked away and doesn't leach the heat out of one's body that much. Just make sure to pick the right tree, I find yew is best.

I do actually have the good fortune to be in the countryside so I can at least get out into the woods most days.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Gosh, that sounds like a fine time!

One of the few downsides to this part of New England is that all the forests are for the most part quite young regrowth: Most trees are barely 6-8 inches across, and almost none more than a foot. What I wouldn't give for an ancient yew to visit. :)

My bonny yew tree, tell me what did you see...
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Alethanir

Post by Alethanir »

Oh yes on some grounds I'm very fortunate, living near a medieval hunting forest but on the other side even if you own a yew tree you can't trim it or alter it anyway without a permit. Though I suppose that kind of rule is why we have them four foot across.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Mae govannen.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!