Logging in Twice?

Stuff that relates to the running of the forums, and not to Ranger reenactment.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Logging in Twice?

Post by Manveruon »

Has anyone else noticed that the forum seems to be making them log in twice before it ACTUALLY logs them in? Or is it just me?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Logging in Twice?

Post by Elleth »

you're not going crazy - me to. I assume it's just a hiccup from the move to the new system.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I haven't noticed the logging-in twice issue because I have mine set to auto-login/remember me but I have noticed a bunch of weird symbols in the middle of sentences and it seems the wiki is still down.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I think it's a bug with the older versions of browsers, It does it on my laptop that hasn't been updated in a while, but doesn't on my new PC or my work computer, they have a recent install of Firefox

This isn't the only site I've noticed it on over the last few weeks, I've found three websites so far that seem to be doing this at the moment
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
RangerofAngmar
Wanderer

Post by RangerofAngmar »

yeah i am having to log in on every visit despite clicking the keep me logged on button
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

same here
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Iodo wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:56 am I think it's a bug with the older versions of browsers, It does it on my laptop that hasn't been updated in a while, but doesn't on my new PC or my work computer, they have a recent install of Firefox

This isn't the only site I've noticed it on over the last few weeks, I've found three websites so far that seem to be doing this at the moment
That’s odd. I’m using Chrome on an iPad most of the time, and as far as I know it should be the most up-to-date version (but I’ll double-check for updates now that you mention it).
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I've just realized, both PC's that do this are the same version of firefox, maybe it's just firefox?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I mean, I’m using Chrome, so it’s definitely not just Firefox.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

...Okay, so now it’s making me log in THREE times, and at least one of those it’s giving me some kind of “invalid form” error, or something of that nature?
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I haven't seen that problem yet
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'm still having the issue. Twice to log in and a third when I have to shift to the Admin Board
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I do still have this happening intermittently: I think it has to do with the redirect that gets appended to the login page: sometimes an expired (or soon to be) expired session ID is appended to the end of the login request.

That is - if you go to the login page and in the URL bar you see this:

http:// middleearthrangers.org/forum/ucp.php?mode=login&redirect=index.php

... you should be logged in just fine.

But if you see something like this:

http:// middleearthrangers.org/forum/ucp.php?mode=login&redirect=index.php&sid=long string of letters and numbers

Then you'll have to log in (at least) twice.

What's happening there is that appended string of gobbledygook identifies a particular logged-in session... and either that's an old session that was already expired, or the very act of logging in clears the requested session in order to create a new one.
What I haven't been able to determine yet is if the forum software is (incorrectly) appending that session ID as a part of requesting the login page, or if some of us are experiencing an odd browser cacheing issue: I expect the former.

TLDR: long term fix might be as simple as changing a config somewhere, but probably involves updating the .php of the login page to leave off appended session ID.

edit: proposed user-side short term fix doesn't work. Bother. :(
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

this still happened to me, hmmm... I've just done some test comparisons between my desktop PC, that logs in reliably on the first attempt every time, and my laptop that always required two logins, and it looks like you're URL theory is correct

Specs:
desktop PC: runs Debian 10, browser: firefox
Laptop: runs Debian 9, browser: slightly older version of firefox

because they are so similar I was puzzled by this, so in the name of science I just cleared 1.1Gb of stored browser cash and site data from my laptop (I'll have to sign into everything again :oops: ) but it fixed it! My laptop now logs in first time, awesome :P and interestingly, my laptop showed me the cookie message for the first time, where as my desktop showed me that when the update was done
Elleth wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:26 pm or if some of us are experiencing an odd browser cacheing issue
maybe the browser cashes the site before the update so it never installs the cookie and that stops the login from working properly? just a wild theory :mrgreen:

[EDIT] Well, it worked fine for a while but now the problem has returned, weird?