Southeast Rangers

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Southeast Rangers

Post by E.MacKermak »

Southeast Rangers, I think I have found a place we can gather for a moot. It is in Trenton, SC, and is built as a medieval campground which is used by several groups for events. They have some permanent structures and permanent archery and thrown weapons ranges. They are planning to add a permanent forge where metal workers could teach and learn. More to follow as I work out some details with the site owner. Only downside is that it is only about 20 acres and half of that is open field. I was out there this past weekend for a Dagorhir event and it definitely has potential. The owner is big on the idea as he has several ranger-type groups that frequent the site and would love to have more to learn from and share knowledge.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Southeast Rangers

Post by Ringulf »

It certainly would be great to get the Rangers of the South East together I for one would love to meet the many folks of this area I have come to know and appreciate! :mrgreen:

Keep me on the list!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Stormraven »

The Rangers of the White Tree (Georgia) are certainly interested. Keep us posted.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

OK...sorry for the delay in continuing this thread and thought. Real life jumped on my back and I had to deal with that first.

So, I am still wanting to put together an annual or maybe semi-annual gathering of Rangers here in the Southeast. The question is really, what time of year works best for each of you? Obviously, there is not time which will be right for all of us, but I would like to try to plan something which works with a majority of our schedules.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I think the fall is the most beautiful and may be the most comfortable time to meet in the South East and it would give us some time to get it planned. :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

OK. I will talk to the landowner and see what I can get scheduled for the fall time frame. I will have to schedule around a couple of events in my life, but I am sure we can work out something.

More to follow.
Beldanath
Wayfarer

Post by Beldanath »

Hi, I am new to the community but live in Raleigh, NC and would love to meet up as long as it doesn't conflict with my LARP dates.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I am having issues getting consistent contact with the owner of the site so I have started looking for another location. Just out of curiosity, how many people would be interested in getting something together in the spring, maybe late March? My life went a little topsy-turvy (mostly my own fault) and I don't think I could scramble and put something together in time for fall since my original plan was September. I would like to have some idea of numbers so I can see how big an area we might need. Obviously I am still in the determining interest stage.

That being said, we might think of a get together at the NC Renn Faire in October/November for something simple.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

We were really hoping to make the NC Renn Faire this year, but financially, it isn't looking hopeful. Maybe we could come up with something for the spring of the year. We will have to try to dig out/replace some of our kit though.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

If this ever gets off the ground, I am sure we can work something out.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

OK. Once again attempting to resurrect this idea. I have spoken with the owner and he asked when we were coming so obviously we are welcome. As posted to Facebook, there are openings in September on the site's calendar. Open dates are Sept 16-18, Sept 23-25, and Sept 30-Oct 2. I am leaning toward Sept 23-25 but am open to other ideas. The site does not have the room for serious hiking, but I am sure we can make do with some archery, thrown weapons, classes, bartering, storytelling, or anything else we would like to do. I would like to see who would be interested and I will lock in a date to start the process.

Once again, please speak up if you would like to see something like this happen.

Erich
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

The village has flush toilets and hot showers. So if you want to bring the kids, I think they would love it as well. I do some fiber arts and can perhaps teach a few things for use on clothing and even jewelry. Such as tablet weaving, viking wire weaving, kumihimo weaving. Just let me know if you're interested. Both here and on FB on the merf page.

Kumihimo is great for kids to learn as well.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

This sounds great! My Son's Birthday is in the end of August and our SCA Coronation is normally Labor Day. I will check the schedual and get back to you. I am passing the torch as Kingdom Thrown Weapons Officer this weekend to my protoge, so I may have a bit more flexibility now. However I am developing a Youth Thrown Weapons program for our Kingdom, and I have finally found a mentor for my carving and leatherwork, so dropping one responsibility to add two activities, though exciting, may not free up any time at all! LOL Not a problem though I would truly enjoy the opportunity to meet and revel with my South Eastern Ranger Brothers and Sisters! :mrgreen:
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Due to a scheduling conflict (my local SCA group has Southern War Practice on 23-25), I am changing the date to 16-18. Working out final plans with the owner. Looking like $10 a head for any over 10 years old. Archery range and thrown weapons wall will be open. As stated the site has flush toilets and showers available. As soon as I nail down the last bit of planning, there will be a FB event posted so folks can let me know if they are interested or plan to attend. Still working out the forging plan since Eric asked and I would love to get a class on working metal.

More to follow.

EMK
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Plus the village has a set of 3 (lack of a better term) stalls which could be used for classes as well. Allowing for getting out of the sun. The forging area is actually in an area behind the stalls, just off the village.

It's actually a really nice area. Didn't think to take pics of it all while we were there this past weekend. Grrrr
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com