The Hobbit - a new vid from PJ

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

The Hobbit - a new vid from PJ

Post by Peter Remling »

This is a vid PJ posted on his Facebook page,scroll down and check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: The Hobbit - a new vid from PJ

Post by Ringulf »

OMG! I can't wait for this film to come out! I think we will be seeing a resergence in interest in all things Tolkien.
Perhaps it would be good to add in a Hobbit Board with sub-boards as locations like the Shire, Trollshaws, Rivendell etc. I think we are going to get a bit more interest in Dwarves too (at least "I" hope so) We will need to ride the wave! (at least some will stick, and it's the long term ones that will enjoy ALL of what is offered here.)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Lori
Wayfarer

Post by Lori »

It was fun watching Greg watch this... He had his fist in the air half of the time =)
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

It was fun watching Greg watch this... He had his fist in the air half of the time =)
:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL Lori, same here!!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Erhilir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Erhilir »

The question is one will it reach the glory of the previous movies ?
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

shadowshutter wrote:The question is one will it reach the glory of the previous movies ?
As with any prequel, it is going in reverse as far as relative time period and jumping lightyears forward in technology.

PJ's blog was showing us how the effects of even more advanced cinimetography and 3D were being used in the film. It is difficult to get the same feel and continuity in a film, but keeping the things like acting, casting, directing, location, etc close to the original can make all the difference in the world.

On another level this story in itself had a very different "feel" when Tolkien wrote it. It's audience and scope was intirely different having a much deeper fantasy feel and only touching on elements that later on become the War of the Rings.

I offer also that there was a deeper childhood innocence and perhaps even a more comical or storybook nature to it in it's writing and developement.

So what does all this mean to me?
Well first off, I feel that I am going to approach this movie as an old childhood freind, as to me it is!
I am going to try to remember the way it fits into the Lord of the Rings watching it as a very seperate, if related body of work.
And I am going to put it in my mind to enjoy it and embrace it as a gift that we have now been given yet one more version of a greater collection of work that is inspired and based upon the writing of JRR Tolkien.

All that said I will be watching closely! And like any "fanatic" will be comparing and questioning and judging, but I hope by thinking of the things I mentioned before I will not just be another "critic", but a "Tolkien Enthusiast" who will be able to give myself overal permission, just as I did the first 3 films, to enjoy it, maybe even embrace it, despite any cinimatic differences,
knowing it's source.

(ha ha and that is my soapbox rant for the morning! Take it with a grain of salt, as Fanatical Tolkienists are a strange bunch! ) :wink:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I've been looking at it as a wholly separate entity from LOTR since the beginning.Having said that I am very disappointed with how the Dwarves look not because they don't look like Gimli as I never expected that but because they are nothing like Professor Tolkien described.Gone are the differently colored hoods, and long full beards and with them the very things that made them stand out.Replaced by dark gritty gear and naught but a little fuzz on most of their faces.To me they seem more at home in WOW or Warhammer and even those have proper beards.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well I can certainly agree with the beard issue, I kinda feel that even my beard is what at least a young dwarf would have! But exept for Bomburs muttonchop/mustach that is more stylistic and less "I can't grow one yet", Fili and Kili the two youngest brothers (who look nothing alike but I have a sneaking suspision whoever invisioned them watched too much Full House growing up! ) seem to have some beards, though not what I had invisioned.

The hood thing is disappointing, yes, when reading it in your minds eye you see all the brightly colored hoods hanging on the pegs by the door, it is natural! I feel he may have been more into the "Hey we are a bunch of grubby miners that were once wealthy and are now reclaiming our inheritance!" mode. I wonder if there will be even an omage to them toward the beginning at the unexpected party?

I am kind of on the fence about another issue though.
I got a look at a picture I will post below, that shows the dwaves, Gandalf and Bilbo in silluette in front of the Misty Mountians.
It is hard to tell if this is just a publicity shot, as it is difficult to distinguish individual dwarves (for all I know it could be an unofficial pic or one that was clipped of a Gandalf, one of the hobbits and thirteen poses of Gimli) In any case they all have different forms of the same two axe heads used by Gimli and alot of his helmets. Now I am all for cultural themes and such, but as I understand it the G rune type axe was designed for "G"imli (I believe I read that somewhere in the plethora of extraineous material on the movies, I realize it is not cannonical in any case but it struck me as odd)
If that is Balin's double headed, two hander that Gimli gets later from the Chamber of Marzarbul, kudos! But there are at least three, what gives here?

I'm sorry, it's uncanny! Really they could be their sons!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Personally, I really like the way the dwarves look. Yes, I know that they are not "Tolkien-correct", but there is just something about them that appeals to me. On the other hand, I'm not so keen on a hallucinogenic Mirkwood. I guess I will have to wait and see how that turns.

On the whole, I am incredibly excited. I can't wait!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I am definitely looking forward to it also, but share the same opinion on the dwarves as you, Jonathan. I feel like PJ is changing the theme of The Hobbit from a more fairy-tale type world to a much darker, more evil one like as in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Like when Bilbo gets knocked out at the beginning of the Battle of the Five Armies, and doesn't see the rest of it, I'm guessing PJ will show the battle. And that's fine too, it's just a different style from the book.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Wow. I'm disappointed. I didn't expect that the dwarves would look like they hopped out of a Warhammer box set. Looks like John Howe lost all of the design battles.

And the weapons look like they came out of a Conan movie. (Ok, Fili's ridiculously oversized seax looks neat, but still it's gotta weigh 9 lbs.)

And where are the beards!?!?! It appears that Durin's line secretly intermarried with elves. (Khazad Dumenoureans)

Well at least Fellowship and the first five minutes of TT was passable.

Grrrr. Stomping off to pout.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I believe the movie dwarven looks were specifically designed to allow the viewer (most of which will not have read the book) to easily identify each specific dwarf. Think 13th Warrior, each Viking had a specific look, facially, armor and weapons, so the audience could readily see each as individuals, this allows the viewer to become more involved in the film.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That is very likey Pete and though it makes for good story telling and is what we have come to expect from pictures like 13th warrior, King Arthur and the new Templar film Ironclad (kinda graphic medeival remake of the magnificent seven) This is still a very venerated film with very specific and discriptive characters.
Again I am not gonna get too negative on it before I see how it all works together, some of the story elements are most likey gonna need tremendous differentiation that simple colored hoods won't provide. the action and cut shots the way the typical PJ storytelling goes, Are a lot easier to follow when you do it like that.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

If any Rangers live in the California area, here is a chance to show your Ranger Kit in a HOBBIT ad.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07 ... it-fans-2/

To far away from my forrest,
RHG
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I may need to go back and read the book again, but I don't recall the dwarves carrying weapons at all until Thorin and Gandalf find Glamdring and Orcrist. I don't recall the other dwarves having any weapons until the battle at the end, except for the bows that Beorn gave them. The purpose of their journey was supposed to be kept secret so why would they go marching across the land displaying their weapons in the open?
You can't take the sky from me.