War of the Rohirrim - New anime movie

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Eofor
Haeropada

War of the Rohirrim - New anime movie

Post by Eofor »

A new full length anime movie being produced by New Line and Warner Brothers intended as a 'standalone “companion piece” to director Peter Jackson’s famed film trilogy' focusing on the life of Helm Hammerhand.

The talent behind it is pretty formidable, I'm more excited about this than the Amazon series.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.c ... irrim/amp/
Last edited by Eofor on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: War of the Rohirrim - New anime movie

Post by Cimrandir »

Hah! You beat me to the punch. Yeah, this is a interesting move to say the least. I’m not too worried about the medium even though I’m not a huge fan of anime but I’ll admit though that I’m a little cautious of the over-commercialization of the Professor’s work. Same with the Amazon series. But this at least seems unique and I’m willing to give it a try.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I’m pretty much down for any and all Rohan content, honestly! Hope it turns out well! I’m glad we are able to see more of the history of Middle-earth explored on film - I just hope they take as much care with the source material as Jackson did (or maybe more in certain cases). We’ll see.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Well, this is a pleasant surprise -

Brian Cox will be Helm Hammerhand in The War of the Rohirrim. Miranda Otto back as Éowyn. (LINK)

Love Brian Cox and Miranda Otto was wonderful as Eowyn. Brian should definitely be dramatic enough for ol' Hammerhand.

In addition, the released synopsis -
The anime feature, directed by Kenji Kamiyama, is set 183 years before the events chronicled in the original trilogy of films. A sudden attack by Wulf, a clever and ruthless Dunlending lord seeking vengeance for the death of his father, forces Helm and his people to make a daring last stand in the ancient stronghold of the Hornburg — a mighty fortress that will later come to be known as Helm’s Deep. Finding herself in an increasingly desperate situation, Hera, the daughter of Helm, must summon the will to lead the resistance against a deadly enemy intent on their total destruction.

As well as some concept art.

Helm Hammerhand Concept Art.jpg
Helm Hammerhand Concept Art.jpg (93.72 KiB) Viewed 14739 times
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:48 pm
As well as some concept art.
Hoo boy they better not mess this one up, that art is fantastic. Forth Helmingas!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

I am so looking forward to this. A good, standalone film that adds lore to one of my favorite series. It even has a good pedigree to boot. My only complaint is that it looks like its going to be CG. I really wish anime would stay as 2D, it's what makes it unique since few studios make 2D anymore. In my perfect world, it would be animated by MADHOUSE in a style like the old Record of Lodoss War OVA. On that same note, Japan doesn't really make anime like that anymore either. I'm a really big fan of animation, be it from Japan or elsewhere.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Togon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:34 amI'm a really big fan of animation, be it from Japan or elsewhere.

Saaaame. I think studios are finally realizing how freeing and creative animation can be over traditional live-action. One of my favorite movies in the past few years was Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Impossible to do that in live-action. So be it in 2D or 3D, I'm really looking forward to seeing Middle-earth come to life with that sort of freedom.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm
Togon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:34 amI'm a really big fan of animation, be it from Japan or elsewhere.

Saaaame. I think studios are finally realizing how freeing and creative animation can be over traditional live-action. One of my favorite movies in the past few years was Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Impossible to do that in live-action. So be it in 2D or 3D, I'm really looking forward to seeing Middle-earth come to life with that sort of freedom.
Agreed! Spider-Verse was the only animation I've ever looked at and thought, "this would make a really good ride," with the way the camera moves. If it is CG, I hope they do something with it in a way only CG can do. "Make it fun. Stimulating."
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Helm was called Hammerhand because of his great strength and prowess with his fists: he was known to fight barehanded

Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

Manveruon wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:11 pm I just hope they take as much care with the source material as Jackson did
:P Sorry, I just had to laugh at that. PJ emasculated Aragorn and the core of the story. That is all.

Onward to this Rohirrim project. I'm hoping for the best but will expect the worst. Hopefully they get the core of the story right.
Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hanasian wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:19 am
Manveruon wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:11 pm I just hope they take as much care with the source material as Jackson did
:P Sorry, I just had to laugh at that. PJ emasculated Aragorn and the core of the story. That is all.

Onward to this Rohirrim project. I'm hoping for the best but will expect the worst. Hopefully they get the core of the story right.
Sorry I just had to laugh at the idea of Peter Jackson emasculating Aragorn.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Manveruon wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:36 pm

IMO Book vs Movie Aragorn were similar enough. The only big difference was when he decided to accept being king. There were other changes here and there, but overall both versions were very much an example of healthy masculinity.

Now don't get me started on how PJ did Faramir wrong. *shakes fist*
Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

Yavion wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:49 am

IMO Book vs Movie Aragorn were similar enough. The only big difference was when he decided to accept being king. There were other changes here and there, but overall both versions were very much an example of healthy masculinity.

Now don't get me started on how PJ did Faramir wrong. *shakes fist*
Didn't mean to sidetrack the War of the Rohirrim thread. I just had a look through the cellars of Annúminas (old threads) and didn't see where the topic of Aragorn was discussed here. That surprised me since this whole site is focused on Middle earth Rangers. Anyway, I'll get more into my thoughts as to why I say what I said here in my last post in a new thread. PJ fans can stone me there if they wish. :P

Getting back to War of the Rohirrim, I'm actually looking forward to this. I saw some early artwork of some possible scenes, and it looked fairly good. The production absolutely can't be any worse than the Rankin-Bass Return of the King was. Also, with the Embracer group acquiring the Zaentz rights, I think a lot of set stories could be made from the appendices histories. I just hope they aren't 'improved on' by any producers who take on these projects.
Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor