D&D 5E

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: D&D 5E

Post by Addreonynn »

Ringulf wrote:Man I got socks older than you! Just kidding it's all relative, I live in Florida...God's waiting room. I am the young kid here! :mrgreen:
lol wow! you just said that!!! I started in 2006 :/ born in 93 started on 2e stopped in 3.5 and continue to play... you guessed it... rangers lol
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

We started playing Original D&D (still my favorite iteration) in 1974 in the waning of the year. I still have all of my first printing booklets. :)

I stopped the brand D&D when 4th Edition came out. I was working for Wizards at the time and had more than a solid idea of how the game was made and what it was supposed to do. To me, it was not D&D at all, despite the brand name.

At the point, I switched to Pathfinder and when I run games for my sons and some friends, it is that one that is played since that is what they know.

On rare, very enjoyable occasions, I get to sit down with some oldsters like me and play some OD&D. Now THAT is roleplaying. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Chris Russo wrote:I'm always mystified when I hear everyone complaining about how oversimplified 4e is, simply because I started with 4e only a few years ago, and as it is, gameplay will be interrupted for an hour or more as the DM and a player argue over the wording of a rule. (We're still not sure if a ghost with the "phasing" status can pass through a wizard's illusory wall.)

I'm all for details, but how much did one have to lawyer in order to play the earlier editions?

(Here's hoping 5e finds a happy medium?)
A lot of the enjoyment of the game comes from the cooperation between DM and players. If you have a group that will rules lawyer a game to within an inch of it's life, then the rule set won't matter. They will still find something to argue over.

If you have a DM that everyone accepts and that remembers that it is not him against the players, and you get players that accept a DM ruling when there is an issue, the games go much smoother. Even if the rule is an on the spot fix, take it and keep playing. Arguing the rules just sucks the fun out of the game for me (and I tend to end up the DM/GM).
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.