Latex Weapons

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

Asickman

Latex Weapons

Post by Asickman »

Hi my name is Andrew but, I like to go by Keyz.

I was referred to this forum by a friend and I am now looking for anyones help or direction on making latex weapons. I was told to find Ringulf but why just get one persons input when I can get many. Anyone that can help would be great and if this works out i might have more question later on.

Thank you,
Keyz
<( "<) Keyz (>" )>
(\/)[,;;,](\/)
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Latex Weapons

Post by Eledhwen »

Ringulf is active with Dagorhir..I think that's the LARP...so would most likely have at least some kind of input in the direction you seem to be seeking. That is why someone singled out a person to you. This isn't a LARP in the usual meaning of the word, although some of us are in the SCA and as already referenced, at least one LARP.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Asickman

Post by Asickman »

Umm... I am actually trying to personalized latex weapons I just don't know where to start is it a stick of some sort or is it PVC in the center? After that do I cover in Foam and then a liquid latex solution? what type of latex is used or anyone know a good place to get some? I want to make a wooden shield with a hidden sheath that would fit latex dagger or short sword that is part of the design on the shield so it does not look like the handle to a weapon but more as just a accent to the shield (I know its a bit cheesy but I got the idea from Soul Caliber 5 but I want to make it my own).

I hope that is enough info.
<( "<) Keyz (>" )>
(\/)[,;;,](\/)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hey there!
Glad you could drop in on us here at the merf site!
Like Eledhwen said we are not a Larp per se, what you will find here in plenty is info on Tolkien, period outdoor techniques and the making of live weapons and armor. This as well as quite a bit of discussion both practical and literary.

We do have several members that are in the SCA and some Reenactors as well as a few Larpists (Larpers?) I have done a few traditional fantasy Larps that are boffer based so that is why you most likely got sent my way.

To answer your question on Latex weapons, I would have to get you started right from the early stages of construction. Your initial questions on cores seems to indicate to me you are just starting out on this wonderful journey.

That's ok! All of us have been there. There seems to be a natural progression in boffersmithing that one needs to start with in order to get the full picture. The simple pvc/pipe foam/duct tape types let you learn the basics of construction and safety. After you get to the point that you are secure on those issues you tend to want greater realism.
You can go a long ways with just foam and duct tape, believe me! The core is then the next step in the progression as you will substitute the PVC core for the more expensive "kite rod core" made of fiberglass tubing or graphite tubing that you can get from kite distributers and such. Now you are making "Ultralites"

Before you go to latex itself which is rather difficult and requires special foam and techniques, I would recomend taking the construction methods you learn from the above mentioned process and using the plasdip(tool handle dip you can get at Home depot Lowes or Ace) in brush and spray form to make a personalised latex type weapon.(Btw you may not want to go any further for this stuff is truly phenominal and give you much more creative freedom/tech level than actual latex and it is not as fragile) Go on facebook and search for plastdip or plastidip artists, and you will get a much more comprehensive and focused view and support than I can truly give here.
Realize also that Youtube is your freind. There are hundreds of videos out there with step by step directions of multitudes of techniques and projects from basic to advanced.

Good luck, ask lots of questions, and post lots of pics, you will learn quickly! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Asickman

Post by Asickman »

Alright thank you for that i actually have been making boffers for awhile but you dont have tons of freedom when it comes to pvc, insulation foam and duct tape thats why i wanted to take it further.
<( "<) Keyz (>" )>
(\/)[,;;,](\/)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Many people think that duct tape and pipe foam weapons really can't go very far toward looking good or realistic, but I tend to disagree with that.
I welcome you to browse through the many weapons that I and my son have made in the last 4-5 years. Some very basic mind you but toward the end it started looking pretty good. this goes for armor as well.

http://s901.photobucket.com/user/Haakon ... ry/profile

We are now starting on the PD weapons using very expensive high tech foam but at this point, we feel as though the only thing holding us back from latex quality weapons IS the duct tape.

There are lots of fun tips and trick to making the DT stuff look great but if you feel the need to branch out Plastidip over foam is the next step.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Asickman

Post by Asickman »

From those pics what size pvc pipe and insulation do you use because my larp looks like it uses thicker insulation?
We Use:
PVC: 3/4 inch inner diameter

Schedule (SCH) 20 or 40 for weapons shorter than 40 inches
SCH 40 ONLY for weapons longer than 40 inches
Can be found in most retail hardware stores

Pipe Insulation: Tubular Polyethylene Foam

5/8 inch Wall Thickness
Fits 3/4 inch Copper Pipe Or 1/2 inch Iron Pipe
"Thermwell P11 Frost King" is our standard brand
<( "<) Keyz (>" )>
(\/)[,;;,](\/)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That is correct that's what we use too but as I said there are tricks to making weapons safe and passable while still maintaining the standards. Flat foam technology and untright cores will allow you to achieve much better looks and believe it or not safety. But that my friend is another talk show! :mrgreen:
Asickman

Post by Asickman »

Now the blue weapons in your pics I assume is the Dip weapons without the dip? If so what type of foam is that?

Once you dip weapons should you use any specific type of paint or pen to color? Or do you paint the foam, let it dry, and then dip?

For your blades when you make the accent is that just more insulation or did you get flat foam?

And what material do you use for your Hilts?

No I am not trying to steal your style but there isn't much creativity that I see to often.

Ty,
Keyz
<( "<) Keyz (>" )>
(\/)[,;;,](\/)
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Not realyl an appropriate topic here, but over here http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/ would be a great place to dig for info.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

To entertain this further perhaps we can have this moved to the "Ranger Gaming and Larping Board" on the forum. However Jonathan is right in that the Dag people will have many people who can help rather than just a few.

You need to be able to find sources and techniques for open and closed cell foam to do what you see on my stuff. the dip comes in many colors but most folks use black and then paint it before a clear coat is applied.
Asickman

Post by Asickman »

TY BOTH VERY MUCH
<( "<) Keyz (>" )>
(\/)[,;;,](\/)
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

Just a question that is on topic to this off topic topic. Have you ever made custom weapon heads for heavy fighting a-la the cast rubber of those potato rollers or kong maces? I don't remember if I posted it on here or not, but I found someone selling an early period mace head fragment and later found a reproduction of essentially the same item. I just think it would be exceedingly cool to have a whole set of extant artifact, reproduction, and useable heavy fighting weapon.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yes I have done some Heavy fighting weapons and thrusting tips of the hard rubber I also have a few axe heads made of the stuff. I made a leather Dane axe head for a gentleman in the SCA unfortunately I neglected to get any pictures of it. I will get more when I do mine up.

And by the way folks, I thought we created the Larp and other ranger games board to handle just this type of inquiry? I don't see any need to continue to call this "off topic" when we have a designated place for it. We just need to put it in the right place.

Thanks Jack for doing that for us!
Now if someone is not interested they won't have to read it. :mrgreen: