LOTRO Ranger Gathering

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: LOTRO Ranger Gathering

Post by sgainbrachta »

Not a bad idea, really...

However, I'd recommend that folks play themselves up to about level 10-12 or so, as that's when things get much more interesting for groups, really. And that's only about 1 day of playing for about 3-4 hours... I'm a VERY casual player, myself, so believe me- I know!

Another suggestion is to look at a server like Landroval- as it is the "EN-RP" server- that is, English language, Role Playing encouraged. Also, as I have several uber-level characters there, I can make twinky gear for folks, too. My lvl 75 is a metal smith, and I he's maxed out in all of those (tailor and prospector~) as well as several higher level other crafters, so up to about level 30, we can get the best critical gear there is. I twink pretty much all the people I know- I usually just need the materials, as at 75, running about the shire for copper is a bit of an annoyance!

Finally, we have a very low-stress, low-activity Kin there, where basically the founders are some of the scariest Tolkien scholars I've EVER met- (who would be AWESOME additions to a West-coast Ranger group), and therefore would have access to a somewhat active kin house, and a rather nice set of folks, in general- who spend about as much time discussing Tolkien as we do running about slaughtering baboons for their asses... err... I mean ORCS for their HEADS... Oh- and I think we have a ventrilo server, too-

Reminds me, I need to log in to play my guys for a bit!
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Sounds great to me! I guess now all we have to do is make a new character of our choice and play for a while then decide on a world and time?
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Ok- so hold on.

Looks like we're going to be using Landroval (unless anyone want to start completely afresh?).
So I guess our current fellowship members are:
- RangerKellen
- sgainbrachta (LOTRO username?)
- Dirhaelar

And then we still need three more people. I'm not going to start playing until we have our definitive fellowship and a set time. Sgainbrachta, I think that's a great idea but is level 10 a little too high? Because we'll want to do the same quests right? Maybe we should play until we get out of the starting area.. I don't know though. Thoughts?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

I'm down for either. Oh, and my LOTRO username is WarriorOfSkills. Not really what I wanted but lots of usernames were taken!
-J.R.R. Tolkien
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Just made my new character on Landroval and he's looking good! Well actually, I didn't know if we had planned on a for sure level to start out with so I got him to 4 just to be safe. He is a dwarf (just thought I'd shake things up a bit) and his name is Guthili. Have you guys made your character yet??
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Uhh no, I was waiting to see what the definite plan was...

Life before Death.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Hey guys,

So I know that Ranger of Arthedain is also interested. That makes 4 of us.

I think we also need to say which class we would like to play, to avoid picking the same one and thus forming a less effective fellowship.
I don't really mind to be honest but I think I'll choose a burglar or a guardian (two classes that I haven't played before), depending on what other people pick.

Also, I think if we play our characters until they finish the start area and are free to roam the world, then we can find a time and place to meet up. When you create them, post their name here. I'll do mine this evening :D

Life before Death.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

And just another thought, since this forum is about portraying the Rangers of Middle Earth, I think we should somewhat stick to that (i.e. our fellowship being a company of rangers).
Yes, we can have other races tag along, but primarily human would be good. IMHO.

Do you agree?

Life before Death.
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

So are we all going to be Humans? If so I'll pick my class of Champion.
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Don't feel obliged to be a human :) I just said that for the sake of authenticity.

Also, I created a man Guardian, level 7. He has just finished the starting quests (i.e. the Assault on Archet instance).

His name is Vilhehn and is standing by for new orders.
I won't level any further or do any quests until we are all at this point (or equivalent for other races).

Life before Death.
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Ohh okay then. I guess I'll finish up the starting quests with Guthili and I'll wait too.
-J.R.R. Tolkien
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

Just got back from the big gun show- And began to update the game, since I need the whole Rohan thing!

Yeah- it's been a while!

I'll need to start a new character- but we'll want to all add Eadylferth as a friend, at least- and we'll need to get a sort of schedule to play, as I'm usually pretty busy in the real world.

If we wanted to join an extant kin, mine is really low-key, but VERY lore-driven. The main people scare me with their knowledge sometimes...

If we want to start our own kin, I'm all good for that, too. Eady and friends can and will still "Twink" folks out a bit, but as I mentioned- I will need to get the raw materials, as I don't keep the low-lvl stuff on-hand- like bronze or copper or barrow-iron. I have a mid-lvl cook, jeweler, etc- pretty much all of the skills, so until we pass my other characters up within our own group, we can get the best of crafted items~

I will logon tomorrow off and on to Eadylferth, Eodhric, Bawdewyne, and maybe even Farandas and Eodgard... yeah- as a founder/lifetime, I have like 9 slots to play with... We can figure out what we'll need to play with a well-rounded group, and then I'll make what we need- otherwise we'll all be champions and hunters!

Oh- and for my "Ranger" name- I intend to be Eadylferth~ especially as I figure nobody else will have it!
Ranger of Arthedain

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

As Dirhael said, I too am interested in this idea. I just created an elf guardian named Morfindes, if that is fine, or I can create a human guardian or hunter if you guys want to stick with just humans.

Edit: I also apparently have a human burglar named Dulindes, so if you guys prefer humans then I can continue leveling her.
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

This is looking pretty awesome. I've started a new thread for it, to keep it separate from other LOTRO gatherings.

http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... =23&t=1922

Life before Death.