Hey pirate reenactors, gotta question...

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Hey pirate reenactors, gotta question...

Post by Elleth »

.. My workdesk looks out over the pasture, and currently I keep a modern 10x monocular by the window for checking out critters along the treeline. As I've been generally comfy-fying the workarea, it occurred to me a brass "Victorian / pirate-y" pocket telescope would be so much more twee.

.. but the only ones I've looked through were purely decorative with absolutely rubbish optics.

I don't suppose you guys have found any kind of old-timey telescopes that actually work?
(and hopefully don't cost a mint? :) )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Hey pirate reenactors, gotta question...

Post by Manveruon »

I wish I could say that I knew of a good source, but I’ve literally only ever had one small telescope, and I got that second-hand from someone at the renaissance faire (and It does indeed have garbage optics :lol:).
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Darn, I figured I could find something.

Ah the promise and disappointment of x-punk. A return to handmade craftsmanship and the use of natural materials that devolved into a low-end flooded by drop shipments from sweatshops and all others pretending that it never interested them in the first place.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I would say mine works quite nicely, but I bought a cheep brass telescope and a similar size modern monocular, striped them both down and by luck the modern lenses were just a bit smaller than the ones in the brass telescope, so I turned rings from aluminum to fit them, the end result being a pirate telescope that actually works

everything is glued together with resin so I cant take it apart to take photo's for you, but if I ever do another one I'll get some progress pics :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

"so I turned rings from aluminium..."

I will never think I'm clever or resourceful again after hearing that.

Srs though - cool!

"Ah the promise and disappointment of x-punk. A return to handmade craftsmanship and the use of natural materials that devolved into a low-end flooded by drop shipments from sweatshops and all others pretending that it never interested them in the first place."

I quite liked steampunk for about six months in 2005, back when it was fine mahagony and refitted antique keyboards.
At some point it became plastic gears hot-glued to tophats, and ... oh well.

We've finally got enough of the farm squared away we can get down to properly decorating the house, so I'm turning a new eye everywhere again. I don't know how the office is going to turn out, but since we both like trad-without-clutter/business, that seems to be pointing in a stripped-down colonial or vaguely arts-and-crafts/mission-inspired direction. Guess we'll see. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Iodo wrote: "so I turned rings from aluminium..."
Elleth wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 am I will never think I'm clever or resourceful again after hearing that.

Srs though - cool!
I know, kids these days. Just can't keep them out of the shop. My 17 year old is the same way.

Elleth wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 am
I quite liked steampunk for about six months in 2005, back when it was fine mahagony and refitted antique keyboards.
Yeah, well... yeah.
Elleth wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 am We've finally got enough of the farm squared away we can get down to properly decorating the house, so I'm turning a new eye everywhere again. I don't know how the office is going to turn out, but since we both like trad-without-clutter/business, that seems to be pointing in a stripped-down colonial or vaguely arts-and-crafts/mission-inspired direction. Guess we'll see. :)

I see a lot of wood paneling in your near future.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 am "so I turned rings from aluminium..."

I will never think I'm clever or resourceful again after hearing that.

Srs though - cool!
thanks :P I'm not that resourceful, just my working life is as a factory maintenance engineer who spends a lot of time stood behind a lathe or miller
Elleth wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 am "Ah the promise and disappointment of x-punk. A return to handmade craftsmanship and the use of natural materials that devolved into a low-end flooded by drop shipments from sweatshops and all others pretending that it never interested them in the first place."

True, although it doesn't matter if steampunk is "plastic gears hot-glued to tophats" for other people, it doesn't have to be for you :mrgreen:

Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I've just realized how off-topic my last post was, sorry, I hope I haven't offended
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Indeed, you rapscallion! I am offended by your transgression and demand satisfaction! Aether-pistols at dawn! :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

then, it is to be a duel! :lol:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Manveruon wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:17 pm Aether-pistols at dawn! :lol:

Aether-pistols at dawn? I expect more from you Manv. You should have demanded giant Steam-driven Spiders or an Air Kraken duel.
-Jack Horner

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I'd go for giant steam driven spiders, I'm sure I have a few of those somewhere around here :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

caedmon wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:16 pm

Aether-pistols at dawn? I expect more from you Manv. You should have demanded giant Steam-driven Spiders or an Air Kraken duel.
ALAS AND ALACK. I shall now hang up my goggles and shave my exquisite handlebar moustache in shame.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Manveruon wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:30 pm
caedmon wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:16 pm

ALAS AND ALACK. I shall now hang up my goggles and shave my exquisite handlebar moustache in shame.
Don't forget to piss in you pith helmet :P